Philippines, 17 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


It?s Pacquiao- Marquez IV


PhilBoxing.com




MANILA (PNA)- Only a bizarre twist of events can stop eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao and Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez from meeting for the fourth time.

This is what many, including the Filipino icon?s closest friends said on the eve of the Pacman?s departure for the United States to meet with promoter Bob Arum, Top Rank?s top honcho and finalize the meeting on December 8 at Las Vegas? MGM Grand.

The 33-year-old dethroned World Boxing Organization welterweight belt-holder is scheduled to fly Los Angeles today to scan the nitty-gritty of the fight deal and signed his name on top of the dotted line.

Once those are accomplished, a press conference officially announcing the Pacquiao-Marquez showdown will push through Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Promoter Bob Arum told to the Association Press Wednesday that Marquez has already done his part of the deal by signing the contract.

?Si Marquez na. Unless magbago ang isip (It?s Marquez. Unless he again changes his mind),? was what ally and kumpadre Chavit Singson confided to People?s Journal/People?s Tonight in telephone conversation yesterday. ?Wala naming ibang makakalaban (There?s nobody really except Marquez). ?

Si (Floyd Jr.) Mayweather hindi pa puede ngayong taon after serving three months in jail (Maayweather cannot yet fight this year). (Miguel) Cotto, who actually was Manny?s first choice, umayaw at hindi nakapaghintay,? the Ilocos Sur chief executive, who said Pacquiao and himself had been in constant consultation during the time of his friend?s indecisiveness, uttered.

?Si (Timothy) Bradley, last choice sya. Lahat naman kasi hindi naniniwalang nanalo siya sa last fight ni Manny, so wala siyang karapatang humingi ng rematch,? Singson pointed out. ?Hindi naman tumaas ang rating nya sa takilya kahit na nanalo siya. Controversial kasi panalo nya.?

Two other bosom pals ? sportsman Wakee Salud and former three-time world champion Gerry Penalosa ? subscribe to Singson?s thinking.

?Matagal pinag-isipan ni Manny ang bagay na ito. Tinimbang lahat ng possibilities. Kung ano mangyayari sa career niya, etc., lalo ngayong malapit na siyang mag-retiro (Manny though this things over and over for a long time. He carefully weighed all possibilities. etc. on what will happen to his career, especially not that he?s nearing retirement,? Salud surmised.

?When Cotto decided not to him again, Manny had already intimated he wants to fight Marquez instead. Kaya lang pinag-isipan pa nya nang matagal. Kung si Marquez nga ang na-decide nya, tama lang yun,? Penalosa said.

?Sabi ko nga, hayaan na nya yung koronang ninakaw sa kanya ni Bradley. Talunin nya uli si Marquez at paghandaan nya si Mayweather para sa korona naman nitong huli (As I said, he can afford to let go his WBO welter crown. Win over Marquez, prepare for Mayweather for the latter?s WBC title,? he added.

Singson, Salud and Penalosa said though that Pacquiao must really concentrate on his training if he wants to win and regain the adulation of boxing fans that was somewhat diminished with his loss to Bradley.

?For me, I believe Manny still has what it takes to win a fight against the toughest like Mayweather, ? Penalosa remarked.? Bata pa siya at wala na ngang bisyo. Kelangan lang tamang preparasyon.?

? He should temporarily forget the only distraction that, I believed was the cause of his failure to completely dispatched Bradley in their June 9 encounter,? Penalosa said, obviously referring to his pal?s bible study and preaching activities.
Arum, meanwhile, told the Associated Press Wednesday that he would not announce the deal unless Pacquiao has done with his part by putting his signature, too, on the dotted line.

?It?s certainly going in that direction, ?AP quoted Arum as saying of Marquez being Pacquiao?s next dance partner.

Marquez was one of three opponents considered by Pacquiao for the fight. Bradley was another of them, but the weakness of the pay-per-view sales for his upset of Pacquiao worked against him even though there was a promoter?s option for a rematch. Cotto declined to take the fight, leaving Marquez as the likely opponent.

Pacquiao won two of his three fights with Marquez, with the first fight scored a draw. All three fights were top action fights, and some think Marquez won them all, including last November?s fight when Pacquiao got a majority decision to retain his welterweight title.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Eddie Alinea.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • LEIGH WOOD OUTLINES PLAN OF ATTACK FOR SOLD OUT REMATCH AGAINST JOSH WARRINGTON
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Cain Velasquez released from a California State prison
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Patrick Rivera wins Pacman's Cue Club 10-Ball Tournament; pockets P100,000
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Undefeated Brooklyn heavyweight Pryce Taylor Fighting again in Detroit this Sunday on Claressa Shields’ card
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES Gabriela Tellez Ready to Make a Statement This Friday in Orlando
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, , Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, , Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
    , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
    By Dong Secuya, , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • 3 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Set for Action on Valentine's Day in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Oklahoma Outplays LA Lakers, 119-110; Arrests Skid to Hold on to League Lead
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Malaya Vibrations to play gig at 5th MFPI Mindanao Summit
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Fight of the Night in Thailand: Ador Torres and Sairike Tuolewutayi Battle to a Thrilling Draw
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Young Australian Benji Birchell Claims Title Win in Thailand
    , Wed, 11 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.