Philippines, 03 Apr 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Pacman hails Comelec decision


PhilBoxing.com



Comelec chairman Andres Bautista.

GENERAL SANTOS CITY ? World eight-division boxing champion Manny Pacquiao hails the Commission on Elections-Manila for not preventing the airing of his April 9 fight against World Boxing Organization Welterweight king Timothy Bradley.

In a text message to this writer early dawn Wednesday, Pacquiao said ?I?m very happy right now because the Comelec came up with a favorable decision. This further motivates me to work hard to ensure victory.?

Pacquiao added that he?s been praying hard asking God to provide wisdom and guidance on the Comelec officials.

?This is not for my personal glory. I?m fighting for the honor of our country and to glorify God through sports,? Pacquiao said.

A senatorial aspirant who is virtually unknown especially among the Filipino masses had asked the Comelec to determine if the telecast of the Pacquiao-Bradley bout would violate election laws, noting that Pacquiao is also running for senator in the May 9 polls.

The petitioner complained that the international and local media coverage of the fight would give Pacquiao undue advantage over other senatorial candidates.

Pacquiao, however, claimed media coverage will focus not on his candidacy but on his third ring encounter with Bradley.

Pacquiao had even asked the members of the media covering his training to set aside politics and focus on his upcoming trilogy against Bradley.

?If you notice, April or May and November or December are the usual schedules of my fight abroad. Bradley rematch was in April 2014 and the Mayweather mega-buck fight was May last year. It?s not the fighter but the promoter who decides the date of the fight,? Pacquiao said.

Pacquiao added the petitioner was just trying to ride on his popularity to boost his political stock.

?He was just trying to catch media attention because only a few knew him. I understand him and I?m praying for him,? Pacquiao said.

Many political pundits opined that preventing Pacquiao?s fight from being shown live in the Philippines is a big political boo-boo.

?We all knew how Filipinos, especially the masses, love Manny Pacquiao. Everytime he fights, everything grinds to a halt. Ito lang yong tanging kaligayahan ng mga Pilipino tapos pipigilin mo? The petitioner is committing a political hara-kiri,? a political observer, who asked not to be named, said.

The Comelec yesterday made a unanimous decision that it is not within its power to stop the telecast of the Pacquiao-Bradley trilogy.

?That is not within our control. We are not in a position right now to stop it because of the three parameters that we found,? Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista said.

Bautista claimed they decided to allow the April 9 fight broadcast since ?there was really no formal complaint that was filed in accordance with Comelec rules and procedures.?

Bautista claimed the fight had not occurred yet, adding ?It?s still contingent. There is a possibility of it happening, but it has not happened yet.? he said.

The Comelec believes there is no ?justiciable controversy? to rule against the airing of the fight.

?Courts are not supposed to rule on hypothetical or contingent possibility. We are supposed to rule on actual controversy involving rights which are legally demandable and enforceable,? Bautista contended.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Aquiles Z. Zonio.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Tellez Sisters Reina and Gabriela Sign with Boxlab Promotions
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Arena Grand Master Mohamad Sacar sweeps 1st Vientiane Open FIDE Rated Standard Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Unbeaten junior middleweight prospect Anthony “ATV” Velazquez Ready to bust out of New England
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • BOOTS VS. STANIONIS – ‘MAKE THE DAYS COUNT’ PREMIERES NOW
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • “THE FILIPINO FLASH” NONITO DONAIRE TO MAKE FIRST VISIT TO CANASTOTA FOR 2025 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND FESTIVITIES
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Tokyo Olympian Rashida Ellis signs long term management contract with Trifon Petrov
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Fightbook Adds Brendan Gibbons to Lead Athlete & Fan Activation Strategy
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • BOXLAB PROMOTIONS RETURNS TO ORLANDO FOR ACTION-PACKED FIGHT NIGHT ON APRIL 18
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Takeaways From Last Weekend's Fights in Japan
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Mon, 31 Mar 2025
  • Lope Tenorio: El Bulakeño Matón (The Bulacan Brawler)
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Mon, 31 Mar 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.