Pacquiao's license to fight in Nevada on hold for 90 days
By Rich Mazon
Thu, 20 Dec 2012
A day after his devastating knockout defeat to Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao already expressed his desire to get back in the ring in April 2013 for another fight with his Mexican rival.
"Oo.“ (Yes.) Pacquiao replied when Philippine based journalists asked him if he’s open to a fifth fight with Marquez.
“Puwede pa ako." (Yes. I can still do it.) he said and shadow boxed aboard his official team bus on his way to Los Angeles on the Sunday after his bout.
“Pwede.” (Possible.) he added afterwards.
But Pacquiao’s wish will have to wait as the Nevada Sports Athletic Commission (NSAC) put his license on hold for a period of three months from his December 8th fight.
“Mr. Pacquiao is suspended from competition for 90 days, and from sparring for 60 days,” NSAC executive director Keith Kizer told Philboxing.com.
Pacquiao’s suspension runs until March 9, 2013 and he will have to submit for further medical clearance before he is given the green light to fight again.
The boxer is also barred from any contact from the sport by the commission until February 7, 2013, voiding his plans of an April duel with Marquez or any other boxer.
“Thereafter he would need to reapply, as it will be a new calendar year, and submit the normal licensing medicals,” Kizer added of the commission’s requirements for Pacquiao’s re-licensing.
Pacquiao suffered a concussion after being knocked out by Marquez in the six round of their exciting fight two weeks ago. He was immediately brought to the University Medical Center in Las Vegas for further assessment of which a CT-scan was performed. He was released the same night after his initial scan was found to be negative and after being ruled out of danger from his injury that night.
He also underwent a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) test to further check for injuries to his head at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center upon his arrival in Manila last week, of which the boxer also passed.
Pacquiao celebrated his 34th birthday last Monday in General Santos City amidst the company of family, friends and supporters and plans to go on vacation in Israel with his family and close friends in the latter part of the month.
“Maraming maraming salamat po sa patuloy na pagsuporta niyo sa akin. Nag-uumapaw ang aking pasasalamat sa pagdalo niyo sa aking kaarawan ngayon.” (Thank you so much for your continuing support of me. I am filled with gratitude on your attendance on my birthday.) a grateful Pacquiao stated.
“Pinatunayan ninyo na kahit ano pa man ang kinahinatnan ng aking laban, hindi niyo ako iniwan. Gusto ko malaman niyo na kayo rin ang aking inspirasyon. (You have proven that despite what happened to my fight, you did not leave my side. I want you to know that you are also my inspiration.) an emotional Pacquiao told those who attended last Monday.
Boxing will have to take a backseat for now as Manny Pacquiao takes his much needed time for rest and recuperation from the sport that he has devoted the last seventeen years of his life for.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Rich Mazon .
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org