Philippines, 30 Nov 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


JOSHUA STOPS TAKAM FOR 20-0, 20 KO'S; TAYLOR AND YAFAI WIN TITLE FIGHTS IN THE UNDERCARD


PhilBoxing.com




Anthony Joshua extended his 100% knockout win streak Saturday night, but it was marred with controversy when referee Phil Edwards stepped in to halt the fight against Carlos Takam at 1:34 of the 10th round, which drew some boos even from pro-Joshua fans in a sellout crowd of approximately 78,000 at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales. Takam had cuts on both eyes and had been bombed by a thundering Joshua right hand to his jaw just before Edwards stopped the punishment.

* * *

Takam was not at all happy about the disputed stoppage. Joshua was listed as a 50-1 betting favorite by several Internet sports books. ?As you can see, it was a good fight up until the ref stopped it,? Joshua told Sky Sports. ?So up until then, I have the utmost respect for Takam for putting on a good show. As I said, I have no interest with what?s going on with the officials. That?s not my job. My job is to worry about my opponent.? Takam hit Joshua with a strong right hand about 45 seconds into the seventh round.

* * *

Nevertheless, Joshua defended his IBF, IBO and WBA heavyweight titles and kept his perfect knockout record intact (20-0, 20 KOs). Takam (35-4-1, 27 KOs) did not win several rounds, but displayed enough courage and boxed ferociously until the stoppage of the fight. Takam lost by knockout for only the second time in his 12-year pro career. Before the fight, only former WBA champion Alexander Povetkin had knocked out Takam, who lost in October 2014 by TKO in Moscow.

* * *

Ireland's Katie Taylor won her first professional world title by outpointing Argentina's Anahi Sanchez in Cardiff in the undercard of the Joshua-Takam heavyweight championship. Taylor floored her rival with a left shot to the ribs in the second round. Sanchez, who already lost her title after failing to make weight, took heavy blows to her head but survived the punishment. Even with a cut above her right eye, Taylor fought firmly to win 99-90 on all of the judges' cards and claim the WBA lightweight title.

* * *

Kal Yafai retained his WBA world super-flyweight title against Japan's Sho Ishida in Cardiff at the undercard of Joshua-Takam title fight. The British boxer claimed a unanimous victory 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112 that leads to a possible unification in the United States next year. Yafai's extreme speed was seen against Ishida who entered the contest undefeated with 24 wins in 24 fights. Yafai is frequently working on Ishida's body and landed good combinations.

* * *

Former world champion Antonio Margarito is targetting one fight since he came back in 2016. He had wanted a third fight with four division champion Miguel Cotto, who faces Sadam Ali on December 2 at Madison Square Garden, New York City. Cotto says he will retire after the fight and Margarito will not be his last opponent. Margarito (41-8, 27 KOs) had two fights with Cotto and they won apiece in a dramatic rivalry which will always be long remembered in boxing history.

* * *

In 2008, Margarito won the first fight as Cotto suffered his first setback in a heart throbbing war in Las Vegas, where the Mexican brawler blasted Cotto stopping him in the eleventh round. The referee for the bout Kenny Bayless called it "the best fight I've ever done." There was a rematch in 2011, which Cotto dominated right from the opening bell and stopped Margarito in the ninth round when the doctors were worried over Margarito's worsening damaged eye.

* * *

"I think I'll be back in the ring for 2018, maybe in the month of March or in April. And the truth is I would have loved the third fight with Cotto to get revenge, but now it can't happen anymore," said Margarito to ESPN Deportes. "The one opponent that I really wanted, the one I was looking, after everything I won't have the trilogy fight with Cotto, which is what I wanted." Margarito said he was advised to rest for three months due to the cuts he suffered in his win over Carson Jones.

* * *

UFC President Dana White hit former world champion Paulie Malignaggi who has been involved in a heated exchange of words with the UFC superstar Conor McGregor. ?Do you think people really want to see Conor vs. Paulie Malignaggi? People want to see Conor fight in MMA. That?s what they want to see. The Mayweather fight was a ... crazy deal. This is where he belongs ... this is the sport he excels in ... where he?s a world champion," White told the ?Real Quick with Mike Swick? podcast.

* * *

Malignaggi was hired as a sparring partner by McGregor, to help him prepare for the Mayweather clash. Malignaggi quit after McGregor's team released images of their second sparring session on social media with him being punished by the MMA star. He challenged McGregor to a boxing bout after he left his camp. White claims Malignaggi took a real bad beating and says the punishment was the real reason he left the camp early and not because of what happened on social media with leaked images.

* * *

Several seven-footers are now shooting three-pointers in the NBA. The rate of 23% of all the field goals attempted by 7-footers through Wednesday?s games were 3-pointers, an increase from 14.6% last season and 8.9% in 2015-16. Less than 1% of 7-footers? shots were 3-pointers not too long ago in 2000-2001, according to NBA Advanced Stats. The 7-3 New York Knicks rookie Kristaps Porzingis is attempting to shoot just as many threes this season as Larry Bird did in any season of his career.

* * *

New Orleans Pelicans forward-center Anthony Davis and Portland Trail Blazers forward-center Meyers Leonard are each firing 1.6 more threes per game this season than they did last season. Timofey Mozgov, 7-1, is trying to join the trend of the modern game by launching 3 pointers. ?If you don?t shoot,? he said after a recent practice, ?you don?t make.? Milwaukee Bucks? Giannis Antetokounmpo run the floor and release very far jumpers, changing defensive game plans inside to spread out.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • BIRMINGHAM FIGHT NIGHT RESULTS: BEN WHITTAKER CELEBRATES A WINNING START WITH MATCHROOM BOXING
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • ThunderDome 52 Results: Clarke Defeats Seidu by Controversial Split Decision
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
    , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • 7-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Petecio in, Paalam out
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Takuma Inoue World Champion Again; Beats Nasukawa for Vacant WBC Belt
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • OLYMPIC BOXING 3: 1920 OLYMPIC GAMES AT ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    By Maloney L. Samaco, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Badenas TKO’s Saknosiwi in 10th round
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Las Vegas & California Amateurs Shine in a Powerful Fall Rumble Weekend Followed by a Heartfelt Turkey Drive for Local Families
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Santa Run Davao on December 14 at NCCC Mall Victoria Plaza
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Alec “The Rock” Del Rio Fights for WBC Asia Title Friday in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025
  • Eumir, Weljohn put pros on hold
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.