Philippines, 30 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


No excuses for title loss


PhilBoxing.com




Former IBF minimumweight champion Rene Mark Cuarto frittered away a chance to earn a shot at regaining the title by letting Japan’s Ginjiro Shigeoka off the hook in the early going then losing his legs due to dehydration before referee Katsuhiko Nakamura waved it off as the Zamboanga del Norte slugger wobbled from his second knockdown in the ninth round at the Yoyogi Gym in Tokyo last Sunday.

Cuarto had a fast start and floored Shigeoka twice in the first round. Nakamura ruled one of the trips a slip. A clash of heads left Cuarto with a cut under his left eye in the second frame but he stayed aggressive. Twice, Shigeoka was on the verge of falling as Cuarto landed stinging right hooks and once, his glove touched the canvas but Nakamura ignored what should’ve been a knockdown. Another accidental headbutt opened a nasty vertical cut over Cuarto’s right eye in the sixth. Cuarto began showing signs of slowing down in the seventh and dropped to a knee on a delayed reaction from a body shot. In the ninth, Cuarto had little left in his tank and was floored twice. A nine-punch barrage capped by a blow to the midsection sent Cuarto down and he barely beat the count only for Nakamura to step in.

The three judges saw Shigeoka ahead at the time of the stoppage with Filipino judge Greg Ortega scoring it 76-74, Japanese judge Michiaki Someya 78-72 and Australian judge Carl Zappia 78-72. The win set up a rematch for Shigeoka with IBF minimumweight champion Daniel Valladares. Early this year, Shigeoka and Valladares fought to a third round no-decision. Valladares had wrested the IBF crown from Cuarto via a split decision last year.

Cuarto’s coach Nonoy Neri, who worked his corner, said Valladares is tougher than Shigeoka. “Matibay si Valladares at malambot si Shigeoka,” he said. “Kung tinuloy ni Cuarto yung atake sa first round, tapos na sana. Naubos lang si Cuarto kasi bago nagsimula ng training mga two months ago, nasa 140 pounds siya. Nalibang sa pagaalaga ng babuyan niya sa farm. Nakuha pa rin ang timbang na 105 pero tataas na siya sa 108.”


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Traya, Bactol, De Barbo, Porres in Action in Highland Show in Thailand, live on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Shawn Darling Inducted into New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Arca wins 13th Mindanao Open chessfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Carzano rules FIDE-Rated Open Rapid Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Pythons-Primo wins 5 golds, 3 silvers, 2 bronzes in Kadayawan judo
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Crawford to Be Stripped of WBA Title Once He Climb the Ring to Fight Canelo
    By Dong Secuya, , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Sebastian Juarez Remains Undefeated with Captivating 4th Round TKO Over Louis Hernandez
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Jajaira Gonzalez Prepared to Meet the Moment at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • 2 Division & Former Unified World Champion Juan Francisco Estrada Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.