![]() |
||||
|
|
|
Floyd Jr. scores big for PH tourism By Recah Trinidad PhilBoxing.com Sat, 12 May 2018 ![]() FLOYD Mayweather Jr. came, had fun, and conquered. He jetted in from Bangkok earlier in the week and immediately declared the Manny Pacquiao-Lucas Matthysse fight would be very competitive. The unbeaten world boxing legend also wished Pacquiao good luck. It was not Mayweather?s duty to plug the July 15 WBA world welterweight championship in Kuala Lumpur, but he nonetheless gave his gracious blessing. It was supposed to be a three-day Philippine stop in Mayweather?s rest-and-recreation schedule. There were reports Mayweather was still in town early yesterday. GMA News reported he was scheduled for an audience with President Duterte later on Friday. ** Anyway, while there was trouble and confusion at the Department of Tourism, Mayweather slipped off to tourist destinations in the South, including the world-famous El Nido resort, where he was ushered in, serenaded and treated like royalty. He also indulged in some unscheduled shopping in at least two local malls. There?s no way to know how many foreigners would positively respond to Mayweather?s fun-filled visit, but his coming would greatly boost the national tourism sales pitch which says ?It?s more fun in the Philippines.? There was no chance to talk boxing business with the very busy Sen. Manny Pacquiao. ** Meanwile, veteran promoter Bob Arum has been saying that Pacquiao was very keen in fighting Vasyl Lomachenko, the phenomenal Ukranian two-time Olympic gold medalist, who clashes with Jorge Linares in New York on Sunday. Arum has in fact made hints a Pacquiao-Lomachenko fight could happen within the year. However, in order for that great fight to materialize, Pacquiao has to first make a spectacular stand in Kuala Lumpur in July. ** While Pacquiao had been installed a favorite over Matthysse, experts were divided on how the WBA world welterweight championship would ultimately evolve. Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya, who will be in attendance on July 15, has been saying the Pacquiao-Matthysse duel is a top bet for Fight of the Year honors. Matthysse has vowed to stop and retire Pacdquiao. ** Meanwhile, Vasyl Lomachenco has stated firmly he would be fighting only solid top-caliber opponents in his plan to move up to a higher world division. Lomachenko said he would be dealing only ?with competitive opponents. Click here to view a list of other articles written by Recah Trinidad. ![]() |
|
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general. Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com |
PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
developed and maintained by dong secuya © 2025 philboxing.com. |