Philippines, 24 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


NIETES VACATES IBF FLYWEIGHT BELT; MOVES UP TO SUPERFLY


PhilBoxing.com




CEBU ? Three-division world champion and the longest reigning Philippine world champion Donnie 'Ahas' Nietes has officially vacated his IBF world flyweight belt and announced that he is moving up to super flyweight as he wants to face the top dogs in the division including WBC champion Thai star Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, former pound-for-pound king Roman Gonzalez, Juan Francisco Estrada, McWilliams Arroyo or even against fellow Filipino WBO champion Jerwin Ancajas.

In a prepared statement read by Nietes in front of the Cebu media at St Mark's Hotel here Wednesday, he said:

?Today, I have made my decision to move up to 115 and vacate my IBF Flyweight world title, this is the challenged I have been waiting for. To go up in weight is never easy but this is my dream to become a 4th division world champion and to fight all the big names at super flyweight.?

Nietes captured the IBF world flyweight belt by defeating Komgrich Nantapech of Thailand on April 29, 2017 in Cebu and defended it once against mandatory challenger Juan Carlos Reveco of Argentina last Feb. 24 at The Forum in Inglewood, California as one of the featured fights on 'Superfly 2' boxing event headlined by Sor Rungvisai vs Juan Francisco Estrada.

Nietes thanked the IBF for giving him the opportunity to fight for their belt at flyweight and also thanked the WBO, whom he was their champion continuously at 105 and 108 for almost nine years from Sep. 2007 to May, 2016, for recently ranking him as their No. 1 contender at super flyweight, a division currently devoid of a champion after long time Japanese champion Naoya Inoue vacated the belt last month.

Nietes, who will turn 36 next month, is now in search of his next world championship belt in the 4th division of his highly successful boxing career and if he will succeed of capturing another world title, it will make him the only 3rd Filipino to achieve such a feat after the legendary Manny Pacquiao and Nonito Donaire Jr.

In a statement, Nietes's promoter Michael Aldeguer said, ?Donnie Nietes will fight for the WBO vacant world super flyweight title soon. We are looking forward to making the biggest fights for Donnie in the next couple of years.?

Asked who he wants to fight next, Nietes (41-1-4, 23KOs) said he wants face former pound-for-pound king Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez of Nicaragua. ?It is my long cherished desire to fight Chocolatito,? Nietes who co-headlined a card with Gonzalez on Feb. 28, 2009 in Oaxaca, Mexico where they both successfully defended their world titles against their Mexican challengers, said.

Gonzalez however has a scheduled fight against former world champion Pedro Guevarra of Mexico on May 5 on the undercard of undefeated unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin who is still seeking an opponent after his fight against Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez fall through. There were earlier talks in Nicaragua for a possible Nietes-Gonzalez fight during the next WBO Convention to be held in Nicaragua last week of October. An October fight however may be too long a wait for Nietes. Nietes and Gonzalez could also meet in September during the Superfly 3 event should Chocolatito wins against Gueverra.

Nietes also wants to face Thai slugger and WBC champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai but Nietes is not ranked by the WBC and Rungvisai has been reported to fight Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico next in a rematch, also during the Superfly 3 event in September.

Another possibility for Nietes is to take on compatriot Aston Palicte who is rated No. 2 by the WBO or McWilliams Arroyo of Puerto Rico who is at No. 4. Whether any of these fights, if it were to happen, will be for the vacant title or for an eliminator, will be up to the WBO to decide.

Meanwhile the IBF wasted no time in scheduling a fight for the title vacated by Nietes between No. 3 ranked Moruti Mthalane of South Africa and No. 5 ranked Muhammad Waseem, a Pakistan-born who now resides in South Korea, on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao vs Lucas Matthysse WBA world welterweight championship.

Photo: Nietes poses with two of his world championship belts during Wednesday's presscon at St. Mark's Hotel in Cebu City.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Floyd Mayweather Jr files $175 million lawsuit against former associates and advisors
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sun, 24 May 2026
  • Christian Mbilli will defend his WBC super middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 12 in Saudi Arabia!
    , Sun, 24 May 2026
  • Toro Promotions’ Trio victorious in Mexico
    , Sun, 24 May 2026
  • Team USA Continues Dominant Run with 7-0 Performance on Day Six In Colombia
    , Sun, 24 May 2026
  • The Punisher Ultramarathon in Samal on May 30-31
    , Sun, 24 May 2026
  • Paciones fights Laspoña tomorrow at Elorde gym
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • STATEMENT MADE! AMARI “THE REAPER” JONES DEFEATS VINCENZO “IL CAPO” GUALTIERI IN IBF MIDDLEWEIGHT WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR
    , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • Castillano stops Rosales in 1st round
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • ProBoxTV Goes Global This Saturday with Two Action-Packed International Events Broadcast Live on One Sensational Saturday
    , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • Oleksandr Usyk Returns Against Unknown Boxer on RING/DAZN PPV
    By Chris Carlson, , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • Ayala Lardizabal stops Mama as IBA PRO 18 delivers dramatic night in Mexico City
    , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • MF PRO Launches U.S. Boxing Debut with “Pugilist Revolution” Featuring "H2O" Sylve vs. Joseph “JoJo” Diaz in Southern California Showdown
    , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • Dela Cerna fights Lastimosa on June 21 in Muntilupa
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Posts Another Seven-Win Day in Colombia
    , Sat, 23 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Beat Cavaliers 109-93 Behind Hart’s Postseason Career-High 26 in East Finals
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Rep. Barzaga invited in Bakbakan sa Putatan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Weights Set from San Jose: Amari Jones and Vincenzo Gualtieri Cleared for IBF Middleweight Eliminator
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Gilgeous-Alexander Back to MVP Form as Thunder Top Spurs 122-113 in West Game 2
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • IBA flag raised at the peak of Mount Everest following historic ascent
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Jacamos fights for vacant WBC Youth World junior fly in South Africa on May 23
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Lastimosa to fight for vacant PBF Youth light fly crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Adds Seven Wins on Day Four at 2026 Copa America
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.