Philippines, 19 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


LORETO, PETALCORIN ARE EBAN BOXERS OF THE YEAR


PhilBoxing.com




WORLD boxing champions Rey ?Hitman? Loreto and Randy ?Razor? Petalcorin are both this year?s Boxer of the Year awardees in the annual 16th Gabriel ?Flash? Elorde Boxing Awards ?Banquet of Champions? slated on March 29 at the Sofitel Hotel in Pasay City.

Loreto is the reigning IBO world light flyweight champion while Petalcorin is currently the WBA world interim light flyweight champion.

And both of them are also natives of Davao City.

Loreto, however, is now under the Brico Santig Stable based in Baguio City while Petalcorin is with the Sanman Promotions in General Santos City.

Loreto recently captured the vacant WBA International minimumweight title by a first round knockout on Fapikat Twin Gym last January 22 at the Ambassador Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.

?Si Loreto ay isang world class fighter and we?re hoping this year mapalaban sya sa WBA at WBC dahil number 2 at number 3, respectively sa world rankings,? said Loreto?s manager Brico Santig.

?Nagpapasalamat kami sa mga Elorde dahil sa opportunidad ng mga boxers na mabigyan parangal para sa achievements nila,? said Santig.

Loreto, who was also last year?s Boxer of the Year awardee, however, has not yet received his $43,000 purse from the promoter in South Africa since last March 22, 2015.

Petalcorin, on the other hand, previously retained his crown in his first title-defense via a first round technical knockout over Yi Ming Ma last April 24 at the Capital Gym in Beijing, China.

?I?m happy to get this award and I?m looking forward to get more world titles in the future,? said Petalcorin (23W-1L-1D-18KOs).

The 25-year old southpaw from Davao City won the world title also by a TKO against Walter Tello last August 26, 2014 at the Mercedes Benz Arena in Shanghai, China.

?Sanman Promotions is grateful to have Randy Petalcorin being awarded as Boxer of the Year. Randy Petalcorin is just starting and he will have a busy 2016,? said promoter-manager Jim Claude ?JC? Manangquil, chief executive officer of the Sanman Promotions.

Petalcorin is currently busy preparing for his upcoming fight that will be announce very soon.

Four other boxers from Sanman will also receive citations for winning their respective titles.

They are WBC Asia featherweight champion John Vincent ?Mulawin? Moralde, IBO Intercontinental lightweight champion Raymond ?Tornado? Tabugon, WBF International flyweight champion Jether ?The General? Oliva and WBF Asia Pacific featherweight champion Rimar Metuda.

Moralde, 22, defended his title via a unanimous decision against Anthony Sabalde last February 13 at the Gaisano Mall Atrium in Gensan to remain undefeated with 15 straight wins and no loss or draw.

Tabugon (18W-4L-1D-8KOs) recently captured another new title ? the Philippine Boxing Federation (PBF) super flyweight crown ? via a 5th round technical knockout against stubborn Renante Suacasa of Koronadal last March 8 in T?boli, South Cotabato.

The 22-year old Metuda also kept his unblemished record of 10 straight wins with five knockouts in T?boli by scoring a 2nd round knockout on Joel Hecotibo.

Oliva (23W-5L-2D-11KOs) won the vacant WBF Asia Pacific flyweight crown by a UD on Jemmy Gobel in Glan. Oliva, however, lost by a hometown decision to Zolani Tete in their title-fight for the vacant WBO Africa super flyweight crown last Dec. 18 in East London, Eastern Cape, South Africa.

Sanman Promotions, which has more than 20 boxers, plans to have seven to eight boxing shows this year including its inaugural staging in Manila.

Sanman?s opening salvo this year was the highly successful Brawl at the Mall: Glory held Feb. 13 at the Gaisano Mall Atrium in Gensan. It was followed by the T?boli Thunder last March 8.

?I?m happy to get this award and I?m looking forward to get more world titles in the future,? said Petalcorin.

Four other boxers from Sanman will also receive citations for winning their respective titles. They are WBC Asia featherweight champion John Vincent ?Mulawin? Moralde, IBO Intercontinental lightweight champion Raymond ?Tornado? Tabugon, WBF International flyweight champion Jether Oliva and WBF Asia Pacific featherweight champion Rimar Metuda.

?Sanman Promotions is grateful to have Randy Petalcorin being awarded as Boxer of the Year. Randy Petalcorin is just starting and he will have a busy 2016,? said promoter-manager Jim Claude ?JC? Manangquil, chief executive officer of the Sanman Promotions.

The traditional Elorde Boxing Awards Night-Banquet of Champions is giving citations and special awards to boxing personalities who have contributed to the development of professional boxing in the Philippines.

The annual awards will also give awards to Best Referee, Fight of the year and Prospect of the Year award.

The program, which is presented by the Jhonny Elorde International Promotion, will start with boxing bouts featuring two grandsons of legendary Flash Elorde.

Juan Martin "Bai" (19-1-1,8) will battle against Indonesian Musa Letding (10-4-4,6) for the vacant WBO Oriental Jr. lightweight title while the younger brother "The Boss" Juan Miguel Elorde (20-1,11) will defend his WBO Asia Pacific Super Bantamweight title against Waldo Sabu (7-3,2) also of Indonesia.

WBC no. 1 ranked and OPBF (Oriental Pacific Boxing Federation) light flyweight champion Jonathan Taconing (22-2-1,18KOs) will take on highly experience Indonesian Heri Amol (37-28-5,15) in a 10 round non-title bout and newly crowned WBC International flyweight champion Giemel Magramo (15-0,12) will face John Bajawa (11-12,7) also from Indonesia.

The main highlight of the ceremony is the "Casting of the Fist" which will honor seven of the greatest Filipino boxers of all time.

They are longest Filipino boxing world champion and the reigning WBO and The Ring Magazine light flyweight titlist Donnie "Ahas" Nietes, 5 Division World champion, WBO world Jr. bantamweight champion Nonito "The Flash" Donaire, retired 2 division world champion Gerry Penalosa, retired former WBC world super featherweight champion Rolando ?Bad Boy from Dadiangas? Navarette, retired former WBC super featherweight champion Rene Barrientos, retired former WBC flyweight champion Erbito Salavarria and retired ex-WBF minimumweight titlist Ronnie Magramo. ? LITO DELOS REYES


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 16 FEBRUARY 2026: Ajagba, Dzambekov, Ruiz Register Stoppage Wins in Zuffa Event
    By Eric Armit, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Mexican government and WBC join forces to create mega-project “Boxing for Peace”
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • All eyes on GM Johan-Sebastian Christiansen in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • WBC Champion Mario “El Azteca” Barrios Locked in for Ryan Garcia Showdown February 21 at T-Mobile Arena
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Dana White mocks traditional boxing promoters: "No contest, it's like hitting babies"
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • LEIGH WOOD OUTLINES PLAN OF ATTACK FOR SOLD OUT REMATCH AGAINST JOSH WARRINGTON
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Cain Velasquez released from a California State prison
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Patrick Rivera wins Pacman's Cue Club 10-Ball Tournament; pockets P100,000
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Undefeated Brooklyn heavyweight Pryce Taylor Fighting again in Detroit this Sunday on Claressa Shields’ card
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES Gabriela Tellez Ready to Make a Statement This Friday in Orlando
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, , Sun, 15 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.