Philippines, 22 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


SCHAEFER SURPRISED PACQUIAO DECLINED MARQUEZ FIGHT


PhilBoxing.com


Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says he is “surprised” that Manny Pacquiao turned down a mandatory title shot at reigning WBC super featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez after WBC president Jose Sulaiman called for free negotiations or if it didn’t work, a purse bid on June 18.

Pacquiao reportedly signed a three-paragraph letter to the WBC prepared by his adviser Michael Koncz informing Sulaiman that he was relinquishing his mandatoru status and the WBC was free to name someone else.

Schaefer told Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that “this is the fight the fans want to see and it is the biggest fight in the sport.” If Pacquiao’s rejection was because of the usual 75-25 percent split of the purse between the champion and challenger Schaefer noted that ”usually the challenger would ask the WBC to change the purse split and the WBC usually does it in cases where the challenger is so well known as Manny is.”

Schaefer asked why Team Pacquiao “simply turned it down without making any effort” even as he posed the question “was it Pacquiao or Arum?”

The suspicion is that since Arum had earlier wanted the WBC to name Humberto Soto whom he handles, as the mandatory challenger after Soto won a title eliminator against Ivan Valle, he opted to have Pacquiao pullout. This would enable Soto, should he beat Bobby Pacquiao in their June 9 clash at Madison Square Garden, to be elevated to mandatory challenger status against Marquez.

In view of Pacquiao’s decision not to fight Marquez, Schaefer said he would sit down with Marco Antonio Barrera from whom Marquez won the title earlier this year to discuss the possibility of a rematch. Schaefer said should Barrera not wish to do the fight Golden Boy has several other options including Jorge Barrios, Rocky Juarez, Joan Guzman or Edwin Valero. Schaefer indicated that the next two weeks “will be very telling.” However, he did not elaborate.

Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today learned that Pacquiao who was scheduled to leave for the US today had delayed his departure for May 30 according to Rex “Wakee” Salud who is often referred to as a close friend and confidant.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.