Philippines, 05 Dec 2016
  Home >> News

 
Search Boxer:
First Name
Last Name


BOXERS                         

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

FIGHT SCHEDULES        

FIGHT RESULTS            

NEWS                            

HOUSE NEWS                

FORUM                          

FIGHT GALLERIES        

TRAINERS                     

MANAGERS                    

PROMOTERS                  

BOXING GYMS               

RING CARD GIRLS        


 



Dong Secuya
Web Editor

Rene Bonsubre, Jr.
Contributing Editor

Homer D. Sayson
NBA Section Editor




Ronnie Nathanielsz

Rich Mazon

Eddie Alinea

Epifanio M. Almeda

Anthony Andales

Jason Aniel

Hesiquio Balderas

Sid Bañez

Brett Bonetti

Marlon Bernardino

Winchell Campos

Socrates Celestial

T. Chin-Te

Carlos Costa

Christopher Cruz

Rob Cruz

Jonathan Davis

Dr. Ed de la Vega

Lito delos Reyes

Gianluca (Rio) Di Caro

Edwin G. Espejo

Dennis U. Eroa

Ron Galarpe

Joaquin Henson

Oliver Iglesias

Dionis Jacobe

Ted Lerner

Salven Lagumbay

Reylan Loberternos

Mike Angel Lopez

Salvador Lopez

Joan Secuya-Medida

Ryan Medida

Rico Navarro

Rod Mijares

Manny Pacquiao

Gerry Peñalosa

Greg R. Penilla, M.D.

Gov. Manny Piñol

Dr. Allan Recto

Hermie Rivera

Emmanuel T. Rivera

Virgi T. Romano

Nicholai R. Roska

Maloney L. Samaco

Sev Sarmenta

Reynaldo Seno

Myron Sta. Ana

Atty. Danrex Joseph V. Tapdasan

Recah Trinidad

Reni M. Valenzuela

Mark F. Villanueva




 
News  


SULAIMAN SAYS CUELLO WILL FIGHT FOR WBC TITLE IN CHINA IN JULY


PhilBoxing.com




World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman has confirmed that No.1 ranked Denver Cuello will finally get his mandatory title shot against China’s Xiong Zhao Zhong in China, sometime in July.

Sulaiman said he was not certain about the date or the venue for the fight although he said it would be in one of the largest cities in China.

His brief interview was seen on You Tube.

The Cuello-Zhong title fight will be the second such event on mainland China.

Mexico’s Juan Francisco Estrada won the WBO/WBA titles when he beat Brian Viloria in Macau, China, last April 6.

Sulaiman disclosed that they expect 200 million viewers of the fight on the free television networks in China surpassing the 130 million who watched Zhong win the title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Mexzico’s Javier Martinez Resendiz in Kunming last November 24.

The Chinese world champion was scheduled to face Nicaragua’s Carlos Ortega but that fight was canceled, according to Sulaiman and Zhong will now defend his title against mandatory challenger Cuello.

Sulaiman noted that Cuello who is managed and trained by Aljoe Jaro “has been waiting for the opportunity for almost a year after stepping down to allow Zhong to fight for the vacant title against Javier Rezendiz.

The WBC board of governors at its convention in Cancun granted Zhong a voluntary defense before his mandatory defense against Cuello but that fight was canceled and Sulaiman revealed Zhong will go ahead with his mandatory defense against the hard-hitting Filipino southpaw.

Sulaiman said the Chinese people are “very interested” in seeing the Zhong-Cuello title fight even as the WBC president said he expects “the best man to win.”

He said the WBC wants to support China which is the largest country in the world even as he added “the WBC has great expectations for boxing in China and we are very proud that the WBC staged the first world title fight in China.”

The 30 year old Zhong has a record of 20-4-1 with 11 knockouts while the 26 year old Cuello has a record of 33-4-6 with 21 knockouts.

In his last tune-up fight, Cuello won a ten round majority decision over Japan’s Takashi Kunishige in Osaka. Cuello previously won the vacant WBC Silver title with a 1st round TKO of Carlos Perez on October 15, 2011 in Mexico and followed it up with a 2nd round TKO over fancied Ganigan Lopez also in Mexico on May 19, 2012 which earned Cuello the right to face Zhong.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • KATSIDIS TO MCGREGOR: YOU WANT A TEST IN YOUR BOXING DEBUT, I'M YOUR MAN
    By , Mon, 05 Dec 2016
  • PETALCORIN BACK IN THE TITLE HUNT AND BRAWL AT THE MALL RESULTS
    By Rene Bonsubre, Jr., Mon, 05 Dec 2016
  • PETALCORIN DOMINATES GARDE IN GENSAN, EYES IBF CHAMP YAEGASHI
    By Dong Secuya, Sun, 04 Dec 2016
  • Bacolod boxing officials call Cebu colleagues’ claims unethical
    By Jerome S. Galunan Jr., Sun, 04 Dec 2016
  • Oscar De La Hoya -- 'Guess What ... I'm Single' (VIDEO)
    By , Sun, 04 Dec 2016
  • DIALE, GOMERA ARE CHAMPS ANEW
    By Lito delos Reyes, Sun, 04 Dec 2016
  • ABRAHAM LOPEZ SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDS NABA FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE IN LA FIGHT CLUB'S FINAL 2016 EDITION
    By , Sun, 04 Dec 2016
  • MAYWEATHER VS A FEW OF “TBE” FIGHTERS
    By Ralph Rimpell, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Twin Vegas shame and scandal
    By Recah Trinidad, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • GENSAN’S BRAWL AT THE MALL: PETALCORIN AND GARDE MAKE WEIGHT
    By Rene Bonsubre, Jr., Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • PETALCORIN, SONSONA MAKE WEIGHTS IN BRAWL AT THE MALL
    By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • WHO’S NEXT? 3: A NIGHT OF KO’S AND HIGH DRAMA
    By Rene Bonsubre, Jr., Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • WBC SUPER FEATHERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION FRANCISCO VARGAS TO BATTLE MIGUEL BERCHELT ON 2017 SEASON PREMIERE OF HBO BOXING AFTER DARK®
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • DEONTAY WILDER TO BE GUEST ANALYST FOR ANTHONY JOSHUA vs. ERIC MOLINA HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT NEXT SATURDAY ON SHOWTIME
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Sampson Boxing Congratulates Rodriguez for Winning Euro Welterweight Championship; Next Sets Sights on Paulie Malignaggi
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Split-T Management signs 2016 U.S. Olympian Charles Conwell to a managerial contract
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • DEMECILLO RETAINS WBF CROWN; ARANETA STOPS CUERDO / FULL TEPORA-SUSANTO UNDERCARD RESULTS & PHOTOS
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • ONE HEAVYWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION BRANDON VERA STOPS HIDEKI SEKINE
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Oscar De La Hoya -- Canelo Alvarez Would Destroy McGregor ... BRING IT ON! (VIDEO)
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Undefeated Prospect Mario Barrios Training Camp Quotes
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • NBA -- Anthony's late J lifts Knicks over Wolves​
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • JACK TEPORA STOPS GALIH SUSANTO IN 5, CAPTURES WBO ORIENTAL BELT
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • DIALE, ENRIQUEZ BOTH MAKE 111 LBS.
    By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 03 Dec 2016
  • Pound-For-Pounds Kings Gunn And Jones Set To Wage War
    By , Sat, 03 Dec 2016


  •  




     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2016 philboxing.com.