13 FOR 13: BOXING 13 WISHES FOR THE YEAR 2013
By Maloney L. Samaco
Tue, 01 Jan 2013
For many, 13 is an unlucky number. The fear of 13 is called triskaidekaphobia. Most high-rise building floors have no 13th floor. Friday the 13th is considered as the unluckiest day of the month. The Last Supper has 13 persons, Jesus and 12 apostles. The end of the Mayan calendar’s 13th “Baktun” was feared as “the end of the world” last December 21, 2012.
But for this writer, 13 is a lucky number and we have listed 13 wishes for boxing in the year 2013, the Year of the Water Snake.
- Manny Pacquiao will rise and face Juan Manuel Marquez for the fifth time. The last bout was going in favor of the “Pacman” point-wise with Marquez having difficulty in breathing due to a damaged nose. But the “Dinamita” exploded with a devastating punch in the sixth round which resulted in the Knockout of the Year. But Pacquiao can still comeback if he concentrates on training more than anything else. He will be a “thinking fighter” this time.
- Nonito Donaire, 2012 Fighter of the Year, will win the same award for 2013. He will face WBC superbantamweight champion Abner Mares or IBF champion Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba for unification title bouts and multi-million dollar paydays.
- Donaire will continue to use Olympic-style drug testing. That means he will be tested for performance enhancing drugs and other banned substances 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. He will show to the world that a Filipino champion is committed to be clean and fit for all the other boxers of all nations to imitate.
- Brian Viloria will face WBA lightflyweight champion Roman Gonzalez instead of fighting number one contender and mandatory WBO challenger Milan Melindo. A Filipino versus Filipino world championship is not accepted yet in our culture unlike the Mexicans and the Americans. One advantage is that if he fights a Latino in Gonzalez who is a Nicaraguan, it will be a grosser box-office wise
- Melindo will become the next world champion and will be the second ALA boxer to win a world title. But there’s a hitch though in the WBO rankings because the number two contender is another Filipino Froilan Saludar. But should Viloria vacate his title and let the top two contenders square it off for the vacant title, then for sure there will be another Pinoy WBO world champion.
- Donnie Nietes will solidify his junior flyweight title by winning over WBO mini-flyweight titleholder Moises Fuentes. The champ vs. champ fight should it materialize will be another feather in the cap of the top ALA fighter if he beats the Mexican world champion.
- A title defense by IBF junior flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero of Ormoc City here in the Philippines. He wants to fight his next championship in Cebu or Manila.
- A title shot for Denver Cuello, the WBC Silver minimumweight champion, against WBC world champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China as promised by WBC President Jose Sulaiman.
- Sylvester Lopez, WBC Silver superflyweight champion, will have another chance to fight for the world title.
- Edrin Dapudong will finally win over South African Gideon Buthelezi after the highly controversial hometown split decision loss in Johannesburg. The IBO has ordered an immediate rematch after the notorious decision.
- Sonny Boy Jaro will be given another title shot after losing his WBC title via a split decision to Yoshiyuki Igarashi after failing to KO the Japanese in his home country. Prior to that, Jaro scored a sixth round TKO over Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, the WBC and Ring champion, whom he floored five times in one of the biggest upsets of the year.
- The Pagara brothers Jason and Albert will continue to shine with Jason given a world title shot and Albert a GAB Philippine championship.
- The Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) national boxing finals which will be hosted by Maasin City, Southern Leyte in February will be successful.
Happy New Year to one and all from me, my wife Chona, and sons Mallory, Marton and Marlon!
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
|Michael Dutchover 130.4 lbs - Miguel Carizoza 130.7|
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017Bernard Hopkins Blasts Conor McGregor, 'It's a Fake News Fight'
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017Unbeaten Taras Shelestyuk Tests Unblemished Mark Saturday, July 1 in Sacramento, CA.
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017Baltimore Pro Boxing Returns July 13 with Tribute Card
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017UFC's Kevin Lee Gives Khabib Nurmagomedov Deadline for Ass Kicking
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017BRYANT JENNINGS SIGNS WITH TOP RANK
By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017CANELO ALVAREZ AND GENNADY GOLOVKIN CONCLUDE INTERNATIONAL PRESS TOUR WITH HOLLYWOOD RED CARPET AFFAIR
By , Fri, 23 Jun 2017Gomera and Nam-Joon Lee Make Weight For WBA Asia 126-Lbs Title Saturday in Korea
By Carlos Costa, Fri, 23 Jun 2017Pinoy Pride 41: New Generation Warriors gets two TV telecast schedules
By , Fri, 23 Jun 2017Onggocan 111 Lbs, Pantilgan 110 Lbs for IBF Youth Title in Calamba, Laguna, Today
By Carlos Costa, Fri, 23 Jun 2017HORN IS UP AGAINST A FREAK
By Aquiles Z. Zonio, Fri, 23 Jun 2017Dexter Alimento Successful in 30-day Mandatory Weigh-in for WBC Int'l Title Againts Deejay Kriel in South Africa
By Carlos Costa, Fri, 23 Jun 2017"Hurricane" Sammy Valentin held a media day in Tampa today
By , Fri, 23 Jun 2017Snips and Snipes 22 June 2017
By Eric Armit, Fri, 23 Jun 2017FRIDAY'S "FIGHTNIGHT LIVE" ON FACEBOOK ROSEMONT RUMBLE TO FEATURE FAN-FRIENDLY ULTRACAST 360˚ AND VIRTUAL REALITY FEEDS
By , Fri, 23 Jun 2017Terrific undercard set for Saturday night to support Kermit Cintron - Tyrone Brunson Pennsylvania State Junior Middleweight title bout
By , Fri, 23 Jun 2017Floyd Mayweather: I Will Beat McGregor, Even If He Hurts Me
By , Thu, 22 Jun 2017NBA -- Lakers trade D'Angelo Russell to Nets
By Balt Ducay Chavez, Thu, 22 Jun 2017NO SWEEP BY BEERMEN OVER KATROPA
By Eddie Alinea of Spin.ph, Thu, 22 Jun 2017MELINDO DEFENDS TITLE IN CEBU ON SEP 16
By Dong Secuya, Thu, 22 Jun 2017Results From Bukidnon: Kinaadman Outpoinst Antaran; Ibgos, Gaabon, Bayubay Victorious
By Carlos Costa, Thu, 22 Jun 2017Adam Lopez Looks To Move One Step Closer To World Title Fight Against Glenn Dezurn
By , Thu, 22 Jun 2017Mikey Garcia to Adrien Broner: Mayweather Can't Save You
By , Wed, 21 Jun 2017PACQUIAO AND ROACH EMBARK ON THEIR 35TH FIGHT TOGETHER AGAINST HORN IN BRISBANE
By Eddie Alinea of Spin.ph, Wed, 21 Jun 2017