13 FOR 13: BOXING 13 WISHES FOR THE YEAR 2013
By Maloney L. Samaco
Tue, 01 Jan 2013
For many, 13 is an unlucky number. The fear of 13 is called triskaidekaphobia. Most high-rise building floors have no 13th floor. Friday the 13th is considered as the unluckiest day of the month. The Last Supper has 13 persons, Jesus and 12 apostles. The end of the Mayan calendar’s 13th “Baktun” was feared as “the end of the world” last December 21, 2012.
But for this writer, 13 is a lucky number and we have listed 13 wishes for boxing in the year 2013, the Year of the Water Snake.
- Manny Pacquiao will rise and face Juan Manuel Marquez for the fifth time. The last bout was going in favor of the “Pacman” point-wise with Marquez having difficulty in breathing due to a damaged nose. But the “Dinamita” exploded with a devastating punch in the sixth round which resulted in the Knockout of the Year. But Pacquiao can still comeback if he concentrates on training more than anything else. He will be a “thinking fighter” this time.
- Nonito Donaire, 2012 Fighter of the Year, will win the same award for 2013. He will face WBC superbantamweight champion Abner Mares or IBF champion Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba for unification title bouts and multi-million dollar paydays.
- Donaire will continue to use Olympic-style drug testing. That means he will be tested for performance enhancing drugs and other banned substances 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. He will show to the world that a Filipino champion is committed to be clean and fit for all the other boxers of all nations to imitate.
- Brian Viloria will face WBA lightflyweight champion Roman Gonzalez instead of fighting number one contender and mandatory WBO challenger Milan Melindo. A Filipino versus Filipino world championship is not accepted yet in our culture unlike the Mexicans and the Americans. One advantage is that if he fights a Latino in Gonzalez who is a Nicaraguan, it will be a grosser box-office wise
- Melindo will become the next world champion and will be the second ALA boxer to win a world title. But there’s a hitch though in the WBO rankings because the number two contender is another Filipino Froilan Saludar. But should Viloria vacate his title and let the top two contenders square it off for the vacant title, then for sure there will be another Pinoy WBO world champion.
- Donnie Nietes will solidify his junior flyweight title by winning over WBO mini-flyweight titleholder Moises Fuentes. The champ vs. champ fight should it materialize will be another feather in the cap of the top ALA fighter if he beats the Mexican world champion.
- A title defense by IBF junior flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero of Ormoc City here in the Philippines. He wants to fight his next championship in Cebu or Manila.
- A title shot for Denver Cuello, the WBC Silver minimumweight champion, against WBC world champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China as promised by WBC President Jose Sulaiman.
- Sylvester Lopez, WBC Silver superflyweight champion, will have another chance to fight for the world title.
- Edrin Dapudong will finally win over South African Gideon Buthelezi after the highly controversial hometown split decision loss in Johannesburg. The IBO has ordered an immediate rematch after the notorious decision.
- Sonny Boy Jaro will be given another title shot after losing his WBC title via a split decision to Yoshiyuki Igarashi after failing to KO the Japanese in his home country. Prior to that, Jaro scored a sixth round TKO over Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, the WBC and Ring champion, whom he floored five times in one of the biggest upsets of the year.
- The Pagara brothers Jason and Albert will continue to shine with Jason given a world title shot and Albert a GAB Philippine championship.
- The Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) national boxing finals which will be hosted by Maasin City, Southern Leyte in February will be successful.
Happy New Year to one and all from me, my wife Chona, and sons Mallory, Marton and Marlon!
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
|Praise be to ALA for jolly good boxing show |
By Recah Trinidad, Tue, 31 Mar 2015Adonis Stevenson Quebec City Public Workout Photos Prior To Saturday's PBC on CBS
By , Tue, 31 Mar 2015PACQUIAO MONDAY WORKOUT PHOTOS
By , Tue, 31 Mar 2015truTV & Top Rank Partner to Exclusively Televise Live Friday Night Primetime Boxing Series
By , Tue, 31 Mar 2015Fight Report: Decastro KOs Rozembergs as Wood & Smith Score Sensational TKO Debut Victories.
By Gianluca (Rio) Di Caro, Tue, 31 Mar 2015NBA -- Curry's six triples lift Warriors over Bucks
By Hector Posa, Mon, 30 Mar 2015TOUGHER GRIND AHEAD: PACQUIAO ENTERS FINAL MONTH OF TRAINING
By Eddie Alinea, Mon, 30 Mar 2015FIGHT RESULTS AND PICTURES FROM UNITED BOXING PROMOTIONS FIGHT CARD - HERSHEY CENTRE
By Socrates Celestial, Mon, 30 Mar 2015DONAIRE TO BEGIN STRENGTH TRAINING RIGHT AWAY IN PREPARATION FOR PLANNED JULY FIGHT
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Mon, 30 Mar 2015Texas Tornado Invades Asia in 亚美娱乐 AM8.com Queens Cup
By , Mon, 30 Mar 2015NBA -- Bulls manhandle Knicks, 111-80
By Kelly Manalo, Mon, 30 Mar 2015Hornets beat depleted Hawks, 115-100
By Eric Biasbas, Mon, 30 Mar 2015PETALCORIN DEFENDS TITLE AGAINST MA YI MING OF CHINA ON APRIL 24 IN BEIJING
By , Mon, 30 Mar 2015PACQUIAO UNITES COMPETING TV NETWORKS
By Eddie Alinea, Sun, 29 Mar 2015FIGHTING WITH ONE EYE, ASENJO STOPPED IN 3RD
By Manny Piñol, Sun, 29 Mar 2015Estrada continues dominance over Pinoy fighters with successful defense of flyweight belts versus Asenjo
By Rich Mazon , Sun, 29 Mar 2015PACQUIAO WILDCARD GYM PHOTOS
By , Sun, 29 Mar 2015ASENJO LOSES TO ESTRADA BY 3RD ROUND TKO
By Dong Secuya, Sun, 29 Mar 2015Highland Promotions presents a free boxing event in Makati City tonight
By Rich Mazon , Sun, 29 Mar 2015DEMOLITION DAY LIVES UP TO ITS BILLING AS NIETES, DONAIRE AND PAGARA DESTROY THEIR OPPONENTS
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Sun, 29 Mar 2015ROACH: "IN THREE WEEKS PACQUIAO WILL BE READY TO KILL ANYONE WHO CROSSES HIS PATH"
By Eddie Alinea, Sun, 29 Mar 2015Hayashi Hopes Mayweather and Pacquiao Live Up to "Fight of Century" Expectations
By Winchell Campos, Sun, 29 Mar 2015The Revival of ‘Razor’ Ruddock
By Socrates Celestial, Sun, 29 Mar 2015INSIDE SPORTS: THE TRIUMPH OF A COMMON CAUSE
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Sun, 29 Mar 2015