13 FOR 13: BOXING 13 WISHES FOR THE YEAR 2013
By Maloney L. Samaco
Tue, 01 Jan 2013
For many, 13 is an unlucky number. The fear of 13 is called triskaidekaphobia. Most high-rise building floors have no 13th floor. Friday the 13th is considered as the unluckiest day of the month. The Last Supper has 13 persons, Jesus and 12 apostles. The end of the Mayan calendar’s 13th “Baktun” was feared as “the end of the world” last December 21, 2012.
But for this writer, 13 is a lucky number and we have listed 13 wishes for boxing in the year 2013, the Year of the Water Snake.
- Manny Pacquiao will rise and face Juan Manuel Marquez for the fifth time. The last bout was going in favor of the “Pacman” point-wise with Marquez having difficulty in breathing due to a damaged nose. But the “Dinamita” exploded with a devastating punch in the sixth round which resulted in the Knockout of the Year. But Pacquiao can still comeback if he concentrates on training more than anything else. He will be a “thinking fighter” this time.
- Nonito Donaire, 2012 Fighter of the Year, will win the same award for 2013. He will face WBC superbantamweight champion Abner Mares or IBF champion Guillermo Rigondeaux of Cuba for unification title bouts and multi-million dollar paydays.
- Donaire will continue to use Olympic-style drug testing. That means he will be tested for performance enhancing drugs and other banned substances 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. He will show to the world that a Filipino champion is committed to be clean and fit for all the other boxers of all nations to imitate.
- Brian Viloria will face WBA lightflyweight champion Roman Gonzalez instead of fighting number one contender and mandatory WBO challenger Milan Melindo. A Filipino versus Filipino world championship is not accepted yet in our culture unlike the Mexicans and the Americans. One advantage is that if he fights a Latino in Gonzalez who is a Nicaraguan, it will be a grosser box-office wise
- Melindo will become the next world champion and will be the second ALA boxer to win a world title. But there’s a hitch though in the WBO rankings because the number two contender is another Filipino Froilan Saludar. But should Viloria vacate his title and let the top two contenders square it off for the vacant title, then for sure there will be another Pinoy WBO world champion.
- Donnie Nietes will solidify his junior flyweight title by winning over WBO mini-flyweight titleholder Moises Fuentes. The champ vs. champ fight should it materialize will be another feather in the cap of the top ALA fighter if he beats the Mexican world champion.
- A title defense by IBF junior flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero of Ormoc City here in the Philippines. He wants to fight his next championship in Cebu or Manila.
- A title shot for Denver Cuello, the WBC Silver minimumweight champion, against WBC world champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China as promised by WBC President Jose Sulaiman.
- Sylvester Lopez, WBC Silver superflyweight champion, will have another chance to fight for the world title.
- Edrin Dapudong will finally win over South African Gideon Buthelezi after the highly controversial hometown split decision loss in Johannesburg. The IBO has ordered an immediate rematch after the notorious decision.
- Sonny Boy Jaro will be given another title shot after losing his WBC title via a split decision to Yoshiyuki Igarashi after failing to KO the Japanese in his home country. Prior to that, Jaro scored a sixth round TKO over Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, the WBC and Ring champion, whom he floored five times in one of the biggest upsets of the year.
- The Pagara brothers Jason and Albert will continue to shine with Jason given a world title shot and Albert a GAB Philippine championship.
- The Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) national boxing finals which will be hosted by Maasin City, Southern Leyte in February will be successful.
Happy New Year to one and all from me, my wife Chona, and sons Mallory, Marton and Marlon!
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
|TOMORROW! Brandon Rios Oxnard Media Workout - Noon PT|
By , Wed, 23 Jul 2014NBA -- Kings win 2014 Summer League title
By Homer D. Sayson, Wed, 23 Jul 2014NBA -- A new Marshall in Milwaukee
By Nick Osen, Wed, 23 Jul 2014PLANS FOR A ZOU SHIMING TITLE FIGHT WILL HAVE TO WAIT
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Wed, 23 Jul 2014DODIE BOY PENALOSA’S OPPONENT FALLS ILL, IS REPLACED
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Wed, 23 Jul 2014Local hero JR Magboo eyes IBF Pacific title
By Dennis U. Eroa, Wed, 23 Jul 2014PARAS CLEARED TO COMPETE IN FIBA U18 SLAM DUNK CONTEST
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Wed, 23 Jul 2014Douglas Targets World title in Fall!
By , Wed, 23 Jul 2014Miranda replaces injured Nemkov vs. Puetz in M-1 Challenge 50 Aug. 15 in Russia
By , Wed, 23 Jul 2014Viloria heeds Freddie’s advice
By Joaquin Henson, Tue, 22 Jul 2014ZOU SHIMING EYES WORLD TITLE FIGHT
By Ronnie Nathanielsz, Tue, 22 Jul 2014DELA TORRE VS. SOUTH AFRICA’S MCOTHELI IN WBF TITLE FIGHT
By Rene Bonsubre, Jr., Tue, 22 Jul 2014New Jersey Veteran Jorge Diaz Returns to Top ShoBox Quadrupleheader Undercard at Turning Stone, This Friday, July 25
By , Tue, 22 Jul 2014HBO DOESN'T LIKE RIGONDEAUX, BUT THEY LIKE ZOU SHIMING?
By Anthony 'Duljoman' Andales, Tue, 22 Jul 2014Win-win leader begging off from race
By Recah Trinidad, Tue, 22 Jul 2014Notre Dame's Mike Lee Eager for Fistic Homecoming on ESPN Friday Night Fights This Friday, July 25, at UIC Pavilion in Chicago
By , Tue, 22 Jul 2014Recap of 2014 WMMAA Congress
By , Tue, 22 Jul 2014SHOWTIME Sports Celebrates Landmark 200th ShoBox Telecast With Classic Fights, Greatest Hits & More
By , Tue, 22 Jul 2014Rodriguez vs. Santiago for the Vacant WBO Latin title in Cataño, Puerto Rico
By , Tue, 22 Jul 2014TIME FOR PEOPLE POWER IN BOXING
By Reni M. Valenzuela, Mon, 21 Jul 2014Arizona Boxing News & Notes With Don Smith: Stone Vs. USA Boxing, Meet & Greet & Boxing Noise
By Don Smith, Mon, 21 Jul 2014TEAM YAQUI LOPEZ “FAT CITY” GETS THREE WINS IN AMATEUR SHOWCASE IN NORCAL
By Mike Angel Lopez, Mon, 21 Jul 2014PACQUIAO FOE HAS GOT HIDDEN WORTH
By Recah Trinidad, Sun, 20 Jul 2014ADONES AGUELO FACES YEYO THOMPSON FOR WBC SUPERFEATHERWEIGHT ELIMINATOR
By Maloney L. Samaco, Sun, 20 Jul 2014