Philippines, 26 Jun 2017
  Home >> News

 
Search Boxer:
First Name
Last Name


BOXERS                         

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

FIGHT SCHEDULES        

FIGHT RESULTS            

NEWS                            

HOUSE NEWS                

FORUM                          

FIGHT GALLERIES        

TRAINERS                     

MANAGERS                    

PROMOTERS                  

BOXING GYMS               

RING CARD GIRLS        


 



Dong Secuya
Web Editor

Rene Bonsubre, Jr.
Contributing Editor

Homer D. Sayson
NBA Section Editor




Ronnie Nathanielsz

Rich Mazon

Eddie Alinea

Epifanio M. Almeda

Anthony Andales

Jason Aniel

Hesiquio Balderas

Sid Bañez

Brett Bonetti

Marlon Bernardino

Winchell Campos

Socrates Celestial

T. Chin-Te

Carlos Costa

Christopher Cruz

Rob Cruz

Jonathan Davis

Dr. Ed de la Vega

Lito delos Reyes

Gianluca (Rio) Di Caro

Edwin G. Espejo

Dennis U. Eroa

Ron Galarpe

Joaquin Henson

Oliver Iglesias

Dionis Jacobe

Ted Lerner

Salven Lagumbay

Reylan Loberternos

Mike Angel Lopez

Salvador Lopez

Joan Secuya-Medida

Ryan Medida

Rico Navarro

Rod Mijares

Manny Pacquiao

Gerry Peñalosa

Greg R. Penilla, M.D.

Gov. Manny Piñol

Dr. Allan Recto

Hermie Rivera

Emmanuel T. Rivera

Virgi T. Romano

Nicholai R. Roska

Maloney L. Samaco

Sev Sarmenta

Reynaldo Seno

Myron Sta. Ana

Atty. Danrex Joseph V. Tapdasan

Recah Trinidad

Reni M. Valenzuela

Mark F. Villanueva




 
News  


WBC DEPRIVES CUELLO OF PROMISED MANDATORY TITLE SHOT VS ZHONG


PhilBoxing.com



Denver Cuello
The World Boxing Council has deprived minimumweight Silver champion Denver Cuello of a promised mandatory title shot against newly crowned champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China who is likely to defend his title in a fight card in the US early next year possibly against Mexican Juan Hernandez who is ranked No. 4.

Cuello won the vacant Silver title with a 1st round TKO over Carlos Perez of Mexico on October 15, 2011 and sealed the deal with a smashing 2nd round TKO over another Mexican Ganigan Lopez which was billed as a title eliminator.

At the request of WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman, Cuello's manager Aljoe Jaro agreed to have his fighter step aside to enable Xiong to fight for the vacant title against Mexico's Javier Martinez Resendiz last November 24.

Sulaiman, last October 2 in a telephone interview with the Manila Standard, promised Cuello he will fight the winner of the bout between Zhong (19-4-1, 11 KO’s) and Martinez Resendiz (13-3-2, 6 KO’s) in Kunming, China which was postponed to November 24 from its original October 27 date because, according to Sulaiman, he "received information that Zhao injured his left hand.”

He committed “after that Denver Cuello will fight for the title.”

Sulaiman told us earlier that the promoters had “reached an agreement with Mr. Aljoe Jaro (promoter/manager/trainer of top rated Denver Cuello) who originally refused but at my personal request accepted a step aside fee with the condition that Cuello who is the Silver world champion and also the official challenger” would face the winner in a title fight.

However, Aljoe Jaro appealed to us after he received word that the WBC, at the request of the champion's handlers had agreed to grant Xiong a voluntary defense in violation of the commitment that Cuello would be given a mandatory crack at the new champion.

Jaro told us "it's terrible what the WBC has done. I feel sorry for the Cuello who is tired of waiting for a long time (2 years) for a title shot which he was promised by Sulaiman."

The Manila Standard was able to contact Don Jose in his home in Mexico and he sought to defend the actions of the WBC.

Sulaiman claimed the issue of a voluntary defense was raised at the last WBC convention in Cancun, Mexico and "there was no objection.

"Nobody said anything and there were many representatives from the Philippines" even as he learned that Aljoe Jaro had left for Las Vegas to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight.

Jaro flatly denied the claim stating that he had even spoken to Sulaiman's son and WBC executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman and informed him they were "not willing to step aside again."

Sulaiman said the decision to allow Zhong a voluntary title defense was "approved by the board of governors and they can take any decision. I cannot represent Jaro. He is a good friend but I can't work for him. He cannot pressure me."

He said they had received a letter from promoter Gary Shaw about a possible title fight featuring Zhong in Las Vegas with Cuello on the same card.

Internationally respected referee Bruce McTavish confirmed that the Chinese promoter would meet with Shaw in Bangkok on January 8 to finalize the opponent for Zhong.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Ancajas in Brisbane, ready to shine in Manny Pacquiao's shadow
    By Epifanio M. Almeda, Mon, 26 Jun 2017
  • Brunson stops Cintron in classic Philly slugfest to win Pennsylvania State Junior Middleweight crown
    By , Mon, 26 Jun 2017
  • ANCAJAS HAS TO BE QUICK AND NOT COMPLACENT
    By Maloney L. Samaco, Mon, 26 Jun 2017
  • EVEN IN BRISBANE, PACQUIAO'S THOUGHTS ARE WITH HIS COUNTRYMEN
    By Eddie Alinea of Spin.ph, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • Ex-Aussie champ picks Manny
    By Joaquin Henson, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • LOOKING IN TOP SHAPE DURING PUBLIC WORK OUT: ALA PINOY PRIDE WARRIORS MAGSAYO, SANTISIMA, PAGARA READY FOR JULY 8 (PHOTOS)
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • Results from Santa Rosa: Rivera Overpowers Indonesian Raha; Saulong, Cañada, Lauro Victorious
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • JOHNRIEL CASIMERO FACES RICHIE MEPRANUM IN ILIGAN CITY
    By Maloney L. Samaco, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • Naksoo #2 - LIVE from 5pm today - all female Muay Thai
    By , Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • Nam-Joon Lee Decisions Gomera, Captures WBA Asia Title in South Korea
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 25 Jun 2017
  • PACQUIAO READY TO FIGHT
    By Eddie Alinea of Spin.ph, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Ancajas won’t let Manny down
    By Joaquin Henson, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • PHOTO: PINOY PRIDE 41 HEADLINERS LAST PUBLIC WORKOUT
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Weights from 'Night of the Rising Stars 2' at Deauville Beach Resort in Miami
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Weights from Philadelphia
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Manny’s sparmate tougher than Horn
    By Joaquin Henson, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • GGG Says He Might Quit Boxing Because Of His Wife
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • PHOTOS: PACQUIAO DEPARTS FOR BRISBANE
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • End of Pacquiao reign is here, Horn claims
    By Recah Trinidad, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • FENECH TELLS HORN: BASH, BANG AND BULLY PACQUIAO
    By Maloney L. Samaco, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Results from Laguna: Onggocan Stops Pantilgan in 9 to Retain IBF Youth Belt
    By Carlos Costa, Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Michael Dutchover 130.4 lbs - Miguel Carizoza 130.7
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Bernard Hopkins Blasts Conor McGregor, 'It's a Fake News Fight'
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017
  • Unbeaten Taras Shelestyuk Tests Unblemished Mark Saturday, July 1 in Sacramento, CA.
    By , Sat, 24 Jun 2017


  •  




     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2017 philboxing.com.