RICKY ‘HITMAN’ HATTON SET TO ANNOUNCE COMEBACK; RAY HATTON SILENT ON SON'S RETURN
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Wed, 12 Sep 2012
Former IBF and WBA light Welterweight champion and WBA Welterweight champion Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton has called a news conference on Friday in his hometown of Manchester where he is expected to announce his comeback in boxing.
Hatton’s last fight was a crushing 2nd round knockout loss to Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao in May 2009 after which Hatton officially announced his retirement in July 2011.
Sky Sports in Britain reported that the 33-year-old Mancunian has devoted himself to his burgeoning promotional work since then, but it appears that he has been tempted back into the ring himself.
Hatton has reportedly shed some 40 pounds in training this year which has sparked rumors of an imminent return to the ring, possibly against Paulie Malignaggi at the MEN Arena in Manchester on Nove,mber 24. Hatton beat the light-punching Malignaggi in Las Vegas in 2008 who went on to win the WBA welterweight title with a stoppage win over Vyacheslav Senchenko in Ukraine in April.
Hatton who has a record of 45-2 record suffered defeats against two of the greatest fighters perhaps of all-time – Pacquiao who separated Hatton from his senses and Floyd Mayweather Jr who took ten rounds to knock him out.
Sky Sports said Hatton is in the process of re-applying for a boxing license with the British Boxing Board of Control and added “ barring any recent medical issues it is unthinkable that the 'Hitman' would be rejected.”
RICKY HATTON’S FATHER DECLINES TO COMMENT ON HIS SON’S COMEBACK
The father of former world IBO welterweight champion Ricky ”The Hitman” Hatton politely declines to comment on his son’s comeback which is reportedly set for November 24 in a fight against reigning WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England.
Ray Hatton told the Manila Standard in an overseas telephone conversation that “to be honest it's something I really don’t want to comment about unfortunately. Me and my wife have our own feelings about it and obviously in this case I don’t wish to say anything.”
However, Ray Hatton said that while he is personally enjoying his retirement he said “I don’t know a great deal about it (the comeback) because I’ve retired and leave it to other people now.”
The father of Hatton said the fighter will be 34 next year and stressed that “He’s his own man now and basically does what he wants to do in the end.”
Reminded that he helped guide his son’s career, Ray Hatton replied “I know but I have retired now and just left it to other people who are around him now will advise him correctly one way or another. That’s the way it is now.”
Hatton, the former light welterweight and welterweight champion who was known to balloon in-between fights has reportedly been training and has shed over 40 pounds in preparation for his return to the ring.
His only two losses were a 10th round stoppage by Floyd Mayweaher Jr and a merciless 2nd round knockout by Manny Pacquiao.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to email@example.com