Philippines, 17 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Cuello's fight off as rival collapses


PhilBoxing.com




MANILA, Philippines - WBC No. 1 minimumweight contender Denver Cuello of Iloilo won?t be facing Juan Hernandez in a title eliminator in Monterrey this Saturday as his manager Aljoe Jaro said the fight was cancelled after the Mexican opponent collapsed in the gym and is now confined in a hospital.

Cuello was booked to leave for Monterrey last Tuesday on a Philippine Airlines flight. He would?ve left Manila for Hong Kong early evening and connected to Monterrey via Paris on Air France and Frankfurt on Lufthansa.

But Jaro phoned from Monterrey before Cuello left home for the airport and aborted the trip. The fight would?ve been in the undercard of Erik Morales? comeback bout against Nicaragua?s Jose Alfaro for the vacant WBC International welterweight crown. ?Of course, I?m disappointed,? said Cuello yesterday. ?But I think it?s a blessing. I would?ve left last Sunday but the trip was cancelled when I was told to get a transit visa for Amsterdam because the route to Mexico was through Bangkok, Frankfurt and Amsterdam. I was given another route to leave Tuesday. Imagine the waste if I went all the way to Mexico and found out the fight was off.?

Cuello said he started training for Hernandez right after halting Samuel Apuya in the first round at the Cuneta Astrodome last Jan. 23 and has logged over 150 rounds of sparring with the likes of Eddie Dejales, Danilo Pe?a, Ricardo Roa and Richard Olisa.

?I was ready to fight Hernandez even if I?ve never seen him on tape,? said Cuello. ?All I know is he?s right-handed and I?m left-handed. I tried to look for his fights on YouTube but found nothing. Still, I?m confident I can beat him. He?s my ticket to the world title.?

Cuello said the fight against Hernandez, ranked No. 2, will be rescheduled for sometime in April but he won?t stay idle waiting in line. Jaro said he?ll arrange a tune-up for Cuello in case the Hernandez fight is delayed over a month.

?Hernandez had difficulty making the 105-pound limit and collapsed while training in the gym just the other day,? said Jaro?s wife Alice who got the news in a phone call from Mexico in her Binangonan home. ?He was over-reduced and brought to the hospital, severely dehydrated. He?s now on dextrose. He still wanted to fight but the boxing commission refused to clear him. The fight will be rescheduled but we still don?t know when.?

Cuello, 23, was promised a mandatory crack at the WBC title after capturing the WBC International diadem on a fourth round stoppage of Japan?s Hiroshi Matsumoto at the Araneta Coliseum last year. But the wait has taken longer than expected.

WBC minimumweight champion Oleydong Sithsanerchai of Thailand beat Indonesia?s Muhammad Rachman for the title last May then scored a majority 12-round decision over Juan Palacios in his first defense last November. He faces Japan?s Yasutaka Kuroki in his second defense in Tokyo this Saturday. Oleydong has a 33-0 record, with 12 KOs.

Jaro is in Mexico to confer with WBC president Jose Sulaiman and promoter Nacho Huizar on when to reset the Cuello-Hernandez fight. Jaro left Manila last Saturday and will be back next week.

Meanwhile, another Filipino is set to figure in an IBF lightflyweight title eliminator in Acapulco. Bert Batawang of Mandaue takes on former IBF champion Ulises Solis this Saturday with the winner assured of a crack at the crown held by Colombia?s Carlos Tamara. There are no No. 1 and No. 2 contenders in the IBF lightflyweight division. Solis is ranked No. 3 and Batawang, No. 9.

Filipino promoter Sammy Gello-ani flew to Acapulco yesterday to witness the bout.

?Let?s see how much Solis has left,? said international matchmaker and promoter Sampson Lewkowicz who arranged the bout. ?For Batawang, this will be his last chance. He?s now 38.?

Batawang has a 45-14-3 record, with 37 KOs, and stopped Indonesia?s Jack Amisa in Li Yi, China, last November. Solis lost the IBF crown to Brian Viloria last year and has since bounced back to defeat Dirceu Cabarca on an eight-round shutout in raising his record to 29-2-2, with 20 KOs.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • LEIGH WOOD OUTLINES PLAN OF ATTACK FOR SOLD OUT REMATCH AGAINST JOSH WARRINGTON
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Cain Velasquez released from a California State prison
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Patrick Rivera wins Pacman's Cue Club 10-Ball Tournament; pockets P100,000
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Undefeated Brooklyn heavyweight Pryce Taylor Fighting again in Detroit this Sunday on Claressa Shields’ card
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES Gabriela Tellez Ready to Make a Statement This Friday in Orlando
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, , Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, , Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
    , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
    By Dong Secuya, , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • 3 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
    , Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Set for Action on Valentine's Day in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Oklahoma Outplays LA Lakers, 119-110; Arrests Skid to Hold on to League Lead
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Malaya Vibrations to play gig at 5th MFPI Mindanao Summit
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Fight of the Night in Thailand: Ador Torres and Sairike Tuolewutayi Battle to a Thrilling Draw
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 11 Feb 2026
  • Young Australian Benji Birchell Claims Title Win in Thailand
    , Wed, 11 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.