Philippines, 20 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


A Tall Order: Rafael Espinoza KOs Arnold Khegai to Retain Featherweight Crown

PhilBoxing.com





Emiliano Vargas & Lindolfo Delgado prevail in undercard action

SAN LUIS POTOSI, Mexico (Nov. 15, 2025) — Rafael Espinoza bruised, bloodied, and battered Arnold Khegai. It was mostly one-way traffic, as the Mexican star defended his WBO featherweight world title with an 11th-round TKO on Saturday evening at Arena Potosi in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Khegai's corner mercifully ended the fight following the 10th round, with the official time of the stoppage coming at 10 seconds of the 11th.

Espinoza (28-0, 24 KOs), who at 6-foot-1 is the tallest featherweight champion ever, became the first man to stop Khegai (23-3-1, 14 KOs), a 10-year pro who previously contended at junior featherweight. Khegai hung in tough, dipping low and having occasional success with overhand rights. Espinoza, however, was not deterred.

In the seventh, an accidental headbutt opened a cut around Khegai's left eye, which was also already showing signs of swelling. The swelling only got worse as Espinoza continued pouring in uppercuts at a distance.

Nearly two years after winning the title with an upset over Robeisy Ramirez, Espinoza has tallied four title defenses, all by knockout.

Espinoza said, "I’m happy because I got the result that I expected, which is a victory. I also wanted to put on a show for the people. I could’ve kept my distance all night, but I wanted to give a show as always.

"I know that nobody has ever stopped him before, and I’m the first to do that. He’s a powerful fighter, but tonight I showed that I’m better.

"I still feel good at this weight. But before I make any decision, I want to see what offers are on the table.”

Vargas Dominates Montrel

Emiliano Vargas was composed in passing the tallest hurdle of his young career, cruising past Jonathan Montrel by 10-round unanimous decision (100-89 and 99-90 2x) to win the WBO Latino junior welterweight title.

Vargas (16-0, 14 KOs), the son of former world champion Fernando Vargas, almost ended matters early. He hurt Montrel (19-4, 13 KOs) with multiple left hooks to the body in the first round before putting him on the deck courtesy of a right hand.

Vargas pressed the action but was unable to finish the crafty New Orleans native. The 21-year-old had to settle for a decision after winning his previous six fights by stoppage.

"I knew he was a tough fighter,” Vargas said. “I didn’t want to get too crazy. I just wanted to take my time. I’m glad I got this experience, and we’re on to the next challenge.”

Delgado Edges Valenzuela

In an IBF junior welterweight world title eliminator, Lindolfo Delgado kept his undefeated record with a split decision over Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela. All three judges scored the fight 114-113, with two judges favoring the native of Linares, Mexico.

Delgado (24-0, 16 KOs), a 2016 Olympian, built an early lead on the scorecards before Valenzuela (31-5-1, 17 KOs) rebounded to tighten things up in the middle rounds. Delgado did some damage with his laser right hand, which caused some swelling around Valenzuela's left eye. In the 12th, Valenzuela put Delgado on the canvas with a left hook and thought he'd done enough to win once the final bell sounded. But it was Delgado who prevailed in the nip-and-tuck affair.

"This was not an easy fight. Valenzuela is a good fighter," Delgado said. "He shocked me with a knockdown, but I had a strong desire to get back in there and really win. There were some rounds that he may have won by a little bit, but I won the majority of the rounds."

Torrez Jr. Stops Salek

American heavyweight hopeful Richard Torrez Jr. continued his march up the heavyweight rankings and defended his NABO and NABF titles with a first-round stoppage over Czech veteran Tomas Salek. Torrez (14-0, 12 KOs), who earned Olympic silver for Team USA in 2021, blitzed Salek (23-8, 14 KOs) from the opening bell. He landed a clean right hook that bloodied Salek's nose and ended the brief battle of big men.

"The quick result was because our camp went well," Torrez said. "We love to give the people a good show. I’m thankful that we had a good camp. A win is a win, and we’ll be back in the gym tomorrow."

In other results:

Junior lightweight prospect and 17-year-old Top Rank signee Julian Montalvo (5-0, 4 KOs) wasted no time, notching a first-round knockout over Nicolas Patron (3-3, 1 KO). He knocked down Patron with a two-punch combination in the opening minute and put him down for the 10-count with a left hook to the body. Time of stoppage: 2:02.

San Luis Potosi native Jorge Ascanio (15-1-1, 9 KOs) captured the NABO junior featherweight title with a 10-round split decision over Jose Amaro (12-1-1, 4 KOs). Scores: 95-94 Ascanio 2x and 96-93 Amaro.




Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Team Sugar Rush wins Sir Jessie Villasin Chess Team 2X2 Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Paolo Gallito, 6 others in the last 16 in Malaysia
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis Returns Home With Decision Win Over Nahir Albright
    , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Heartbreak in Johannesburg: Jerusalem Dethroned by Kuse in Bloody Rematch
    By Dong Secuya, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Roy Jones Jr. Blasts Dana White and Zuffa’s Push to Reshape Boxing During Explosive “Boxing Primetime Show” Interview
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Weigh-In Results: Keyshawn Davis vs. Nahir Albright II
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Jerusalem vs. Kuse II: High-Stakes Rematch in Johannesburg
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 16 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.