Philippines, 30 Nov 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Morris East Breaks Silence Over "Biased" Media Reporting On Casimero Vegas Case


PhilBoxing.com



Casimer (L) does the mitts with East.

Former Fil-Am world champion now US based free lance boxing manager Morris East finally broke his silence recently and hit back at some sports journalists in the mainstream and social media in the Philippines who put out patently biased stories that tended to paint him as an opportunist exploiter.

East has an ongoing court suit in Las Vegas against Johnriel Casimero for breach of contract that also included Manny Pacquiao and Sean Gibbons as owner and president, respectively of the MP Promotions which presents itself as Casimero's current legal promoter.

The case stemmed from Casimero's non compliance to the exclusive management contract that he entered into with East back in early 2018.

East showed proof by way of faxed copy of contract that Casimero entered into and signed on February 8, 2018 an Exclusive Worldwide Boxing Management contract with East where he was bound to pay the latter 33-1/3 percent of all promotional revenues in fights he is engaged in as East's due manager's cut and to reimburse expenses incurred in negotiating and securing fights for him and in his training.

A recent anonymous Filipino boxing vlog claimed that East was trying to tie down and exploit Casimero with such "onerous" contractual terms and conditions.

But East clarified that the contract was prepared by Las Vegas lawyers who were knowlegable and experts in preparing such based on prevailing standard boxing contracts in the USA and in conformity with the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act.

In filing and pursuing the case, East said he is just fighting for what he believed is rightfully and legally due him and to send a stern message to boxers like Casimero that he cannot trifle with the law in the USA and get away with it.

Morris said he has not earned anything from helping erstwhile problem ridden Filipino fighters like Casimero who have asked for his assistance in reviving their careers.

He said Casimero contacted him sometime in late 2017 when the former two division world champion was down on the dumps, his career going nowhere after he was defeated earlier by Jonas Sultan in an eliminator, ruining his chance to challenge IBF super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas. Casimero was also in poor condition, his weight ballooning to more than 130 lbs at that time.

East said he helped Casimero get to the US and took care of him during his stay covering a few weeks, providing accommodations and setting him up with training.

However, just as East got his first promotional contract from a US promoter for Casimero, the latter suddenly left to fight in Mexico and went back to the Philippines.

East denied that the promoter he was trying to latch up Casimero with was spurious. He said he has had offers from different US promoters at the time from which Casimero was free to choose to sign up with.

East said he exerted efforts to contact and communicate with Casimero but got no reply.

He learned later from the news emanating from the Philippines that Casimero has latched up with Gibbons and MP Promotions and already fought a few fights.

East said he has sent notices to Gibbons and MP Promotions to lay off Casimero as he is under contract with him but to no avail.

Casimero has fought four more bouts since then including his WBO bantamweight title winning fight against South African Zolani Tete last November in the UK. He was supposed to fight Naoya Inoue in a unification but it fell through. He will be making a title defense this September in the US.

East said the lawsuit is active and due for hearing very soon.

"All I am asking is for those in the sports media including vloggers especially in the Philippines to be fair and accurate by getting and presenting all the sides. After all, it will be the court that will decide who is right," East said.


The author Teodoro Medina Reynoso is a veteran boxing radio talk show host living in the Philippines. He can be reached at teddyreynoso@yahoo.com and by phone 09215309477.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Teodoro Medina Reynoso.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • BIRMINGHAM FIGHT NIGHT RESULTS: BEN WHITTAKER CELEBRATES A WINNING START WITH MATCHROOM BOXING
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • ThunderDome 52 Results: Clarke Defeats Seidu by Controversial Split Decision
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
    , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • 7-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Petecio in, Paalam out
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Takuma Inoue World Champion Again; Beats Nasukawa for Vacant WBC Belt
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • OLYMPIC BOXING 3: 1920 OLYMPIC GAMES AT ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    By Maloney L. Samaco, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Badenas TKO’s Saknosiwi in 10th round
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Las Vegas & California Amateurs Shine in a Powerful Fall Rumble Weekend Followed by a Heartfelt Turkey Drive for Local Families
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Santa Run Davao on December 14 at NCCC Mall Victoria Plaza
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Alec “The Rock” Del Rio Fights for WBC Asia Title Friday in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025
  • Eumir, Weljohn put pros on hold
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.