![]() |
||||
|
|
|
|
It’s in the blood By Joaquin Henson PhilBoxing.com Tue, 19 May 2026 ![]() Rolando Gabriel Dy showed that bloodline makes a difference in the ring as displaying his father Rolando Navarrete’s fistic power, he retained his BKB Bare Knuckle Boxing world superwelterweight title via a second round demolition of former IBF superlightweight and WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi at the AO Arena in Manchester, England, last Saturday. Dy decked Malignaggi twice in fashioning the victory with his wife Stephanie and two UK-based Filipino friends Kris and Danny in his corner. The Dys’ two children Joy Gabrielle, 5 and Samantha Adira, 3, also traveled to Manchester but stayed in the hotel with their grandmother Jennifer who flew in from her home in Spain. Dy’s baptismal godmother Liza Elorde arranged for father and son to reunite after 10 years at the recent Pacquiao-Elorde Awards Night in Okada Manila. Navarrete and Jennifer lived in the Elorde compound in Sucat when Dy was born. Navarrete named his son Rolando Gabriel after him and the late Gabriel (Flash) Elorde. Navarrete and Elorde were both former WBC superfeatherweight champions. Dy, 34, was mocked by Malignaggi, 45, before the match. Malignaggi said he’d teach the Filipino a boxing lesson and ridiculed his “two left feet.” Dy just laughed off Malignaggi’s barbs and predicted to knock him out in an “easy” fight. Malignaggi compiled a 36-8 record, with seven KOs, in a pro boxing career that ended in 2017. Curiously, a victim was Lovemore N’dou whose cornerman Cornelius Boza-Edwards was stopped by Navarrete for the WBC title in 1981. Malignaggi turned to bare knuckle boxing in 2019, lost a decision then came back last year to outpoint Tyler Goodjohn. After disposing of Malignaggi, Dy said the key was his mastery of the bare knuckle boxing science which allows hitting while clinching and holding an opponent’s head down. Dy said bare knuckle and traditional boxing with gloves are worlds apart, proving it by schooling Malignaggi. Dy added that he owes his ascent to God who gave him new life after suffering four straight losses, three by KO, in mixed martial arts in 2021-22. Switching to the trigon, Dy has racked up a 6-1 record, with five KOs. He won the BKB crown on a unanimous seven-round decision over Liam Rees in Wales last December. Dy said he’s ready to take on all comers, inviting pro boxers Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan and whoever is willing to test his mettle. Dy said he trains himself at his own gym called “Dyincredible Fighting and Fitness Center” in Dasmarinas, Cavite, 20 minutes from home, and relies on his students and fighters to work the pads. When it comes to sparring, Dy uses 16-ounce gloves and headgear with mostly MMA fighters. “Pinapapila ko sila pag naghahanda ako sa laban,” he said. “We use bare knuckle rules at sa laban lang walang gloves.” Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson. |
|
|
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general. Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com |
PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
developed and maintained by dong secuya © 2026 philboxing.com. |