Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


OUTSIDE LOOKING IN: All Eumir Marcial wants is to train for the Olympics


PhilBoxing.com



Marcial.

This OUTSIDER can only commiserate with middleweight Olympic qualifier Eumir Marcial.

Nearly three months after earning his ticket last March 8 (March 9 in Manila) to the postponed Tokyo Olympic Games, the 24-year-old Zamboangueño has been idle and wanting to train seriously in preparation for his bid to give the country its first Olympic gold medal.

This is a reason for him to express fear that he might become stagnant and lose whatever he had gained through the years of preparations for the Summer Games.

It can be recalled that even before his second try for an Olympic slot, he promised his father and countrymen that he would do the best he could to attain his goal. Marcial did, topping his 75-kilogram division in the Asia/Oceania qualifier. And he has repeatedly been reiterating that he has not been remiss with that vow.

Since then, however, he’s been waiting and begging the country’s ruling body, the Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines (ABAP), for a training program for him to fulfill his promise of ending the Philippines’ long, 96-year dream that started when it first took part in what is also known as the “Greatest Sports Show on Earth.”

Meanwhile, several offers for him to turn pro kept flooding his desk from at least three American managerial outfits — Shelly Finkel, Kit Connoly and Eddie Hearns’ Match Room Sports.

Even the MP Promotions of eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao joined in the fray in trying to save what seems Marcial’s promising boxing career and at the same time help him in accomplishing his dream for an Olympic gold medal.

All four outfits, according to reports, had similar financial considerations of no less than $200,000 (roughly P10 million), which Marcial, perhaps tired of waiting as reports also had it, expressed interest in grabbing one of them.

No one can blame those managerial groups from trying to take custody of the Philippine Air Force Airman boxing career.

Marcial happens to be the current No. 2 middleweight in the world and succeeding in winning him an Olympic medal of any color would mean a huge financial reward when he turns pro.

Prizefighting is business, too. Ask Pacquiao himself, now a Philippine senator, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Marcial, who can drop a bull to its knees with a single punch and elude his attacker with his fast pair of legs, runs second in world amateur middleweight ranking next only to Gleb Bakshi of Russia, the No. 1 ranked, and ahead of Arlen Lopez of Cuba, third; Olexandr Kishinyak of Uzbekistan, fourth; and Tursynbal Kulakhmet of Kazakhstan fifth.

Being a second-ranked fighter in his class, Eumir, thus, is the country’s brightest hope to present the country that much-sought-after Olympic gold.

As a second-seed comes the Olympic competitions in the Tokyo Olympics 2021, he can enjoy the privilege in the drawing of lots for matches especially in deciding who among the competitors draw bye in the opening rounds plus a few more incentives given to highest ranked campaigners.

Reports also said, that with not quite a few qualifiers might not make it to the Olympic site, especially from countries with high cases of Covid-19 victims, thus managerial groups look to favor Marcial and his peers.

Marcial, in a one-on-one interview with this columnist two weeks ago, said he understood the predicament being experienced not only by ABAP, by all other sports leagues due to worldwide lockdown brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

He quickly added though that there should be at least an option as to how the Olympic qualifiers like Irish Magno and others like Nesthy Petecio, Carlo Paalam and Ian Clark Bautista, who all are almost there, can prepare.

Marcial, likewise, took cognizant of the fact that for five years since he first tried for an Olympic slot, the government through the Philippine Sports Commission, has already spent a treasure, and he doesn’t want to waste the efforts and money spent now that he’s made it and halfway through attaining the target.

He said he’s been doing everything to assure himself and all concerned that competing in the Olympics as a pro is very much permissible. This is in reference to an International Olympic Committee ruling sent to him in answer to his own inquiry.

The IOC, responding to Marcial’s inquiry, said: “No distinction will be made between athletes of any code of boxing in accordance with the current AIBA (International Boxing Association) rules. However, all boxers must comply with the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) anti-doping code, as well as the age limits in accordance with AIBA eligibility rules.”

The IOC ruling was believed to have settled all doubts on whether the pros can compete in all AIBA-sanctioned competitions, including the Olympics.

The IOC had earlier disenfranchised the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and since the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, been running and supervising all its sanctioned competitions, including the Olympic qualifiers.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Eddie Alinea of The Manila Times.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.