Philippines, 31 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Mitra alarmed over Thai results


PhilBoxing.com




GAB chairman Abraham Mitra has carefully reviewed the results of fights involving Filipinos in Thailand since the start of the year and he?s alarmed. So far, no Filipino has won in 13 bouts, six by knockout. One of the victims was former WBC flyweight champion Sonny Boy Jaro who was stopped by Nawaphon Kaikanha in the seventh round last May.

The last two fights were controversial and Mitra isn?t taking the results sitting down. One was a WBA minimumweight title fight between defending champion Thammnoon Niyomtrong (also known as Knockout CP Freshmart) and Filipino challenger Ar-Ar Andales last Aug. 2 and the other was a six-rounder where Siridech Deebook outpointed Romshane Sarguilla last Aug. 17.

Andales, 19, suffered his first pro defeat when Thammanoon retained his crown via a unanimous eighth round technical decision. The fight was stopped by referee Kwan Ho Jang who ruled Thammanoon unfit to continue because of a cut on his left eyelid supposedly caused by an accidental headbutt. At the time of the stoppage, the Thai appeared to be on the slide while Andales was on the upswing. It couldn?t be clearly determined if the cut was opened by a punch or a butt as a replay on Thai TV never showed the purported clash of heads.

Mitra protested the stoppage in a letter to WBA championship committee chairman Carlos Chavez, requesting ?a rectification if needed in the spirit of fair play.? Chavez said a protest must be accompanied by a $10,000 fee and ?a concise statement by the boxer or his authorized agent setting forth the grounds on which the challenge has been brought, arguments and authority to support and identification of other persons with a material interest likely to be affected by a decision on the challenge.?

Mitra said it?s ridiculous to charge $10,000 to protest the outcome when Andales? purse was exactly that amount. ?The IBF, WBO and WBC do not charge any protest fee,? he said. ?When we protested the Pacquiao-Horn decision, the WBO reviewed it and called in independent judges but didn?t charge. I intend to bring this matter up for discussion during the WBA convention in China on Nov. 7-12. If the WBA insists on a protest fee, maybe, it should be a percentage of the protesting boxer?s purse not a flat fee of $10,000.?

Deebook?s win over Sarguilla was another sore point that Mitra brought out. Mitra complained to WBC Asia president and WBC vice president Pol. Gen. Kovid Bhakdibhumi in a formal letter that Sarguilla scored a clear knockdown in the fifth round but it was called a slip. ?Considering the calls from the Filipino boxing community and the historic trend that Filipino boxers lose if they don?t knock out their opponents, the GAB is inclined to suspend authorizing Filipino boxers to fight in Thailand,? he said.

Bhakdibhumi called for an independent review of the bout and recommended an immediate rematch ?to allay any fears that the outcome of the original contest could be viewed as controversial.? The Thai official assured Mitra that the WBC Asian Boxing Council will appoint three WBC Asia judges and a WBC-certified Filipino referee for the rematch in Bangkok on Nov. 16. Sarguilla, 25, has a 7-4-2 record, with 4 KOs, while Deebook, 27, totes a 19-6-1 mark, with 13 KOs.

Mitra said GAB is able to protect Filipinos fighting abroad if they secure clearance before engaging in overseas bouts. In featherweight Mark Magsayo?s case, GAB suspended him for three months for fighting in Singapore last April without clearance. The suspension will end before Magsayo takes on Thailand?s Panya Uthok for the vacant WBC Asia Boxing Council and IBF Pan Pacific featherweight titles in Tagbilaran City on Aug. 31. He said Johnriel Casimero also fought abroad without GAB approval and will be suspended three months but it shouldn?t derail plans to challenge WBO bantamweight champion Zolani Tete of South Africa late this year.

Regarding the recent farcical IBO flyweight title fight in Novaliches, Mitra met with IBO supervisor Steve Scott of New Zealand at the GAB office in Makati last Tuesday. Scott reportedly said it was Australian referee Garry Dean?s last tour of duty. Dean, 68, stopped the fight not once but twice in a bizarre display of indecisiveness that caused confusion in the ring.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Pacman sets ‘Thrilla’ commemoration
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Historic win for Paolo Gallito who edges Lee Van Cortez in the finals of the Efren "Bata" Reyes Yalin 10-Ball Championships
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • "The Return" Weights from Detroit
    , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Efren Reyes Yalin 10-Ball Tourney: Corteza Faces Villafuerte in Finals
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Martha Salazar: Stepping Out of Her Own Shadow
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Laurente and Marapu Make Weight for IBF Regional Title; Gaballo Fights Tomorrow in Sanman Boxing Show in Gensan
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • IM Christian Arca sweeps 10-game simultaneous chess in IIEE SMRC in Davao City
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • GOLDEN BOY PRESENTS “I’M SWEET” FEATURING GABRIELA “SWEET POISON” FUNDORA
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya, Bactol, De Barbo, Porres in Action in Highland Show in Thailand, live on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.