Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


?Hinding hindi ko kayo pababayaan?


PhilBoxing.com




THIS is one good story that will be retold long after the 2016 national elections in the Republic of the Philippines are over.
On Saturday, there were intrepid groups that headed to the Luneta Park in Manila in a bid to plead for the iron-fisted mayor of Davao City to reconsider his decision not to join next year?s presidential race.

Mayor Rodrigo Duterte had discouraged the rally well ahead, telling his supporters to quit it.

The rally nevertheless pushed through with groups from different points of the country, like far-off Mindanao and Ilocos in buses and jeepneys, starting to descend upon the rain-threatened national park after lunch on Saturday.

**

It was quite odd because these people were not unlike backers of a ball club who would attend a championship game knowing all too well their main star, the team?s pillar and main hope, would be a no-show.

The sky was overcast, an assertive wind prevailed, the rallyists came ready with their umbrellas, no packed lunch.

There was no rush around, but shortly after 2 p.m, traffic started to crawl along the corner of Roxas Bld. and T.M. Kalaw street, and an extra unit of cops had to move in to prevent clogging.

**

Sidestreet parliamentarian Tony Bulatao reported from his post south-west of the Quirino Grandstand that around 3,000 people had converged. One radio report would however say there were less than a thousand rallyists in the area.

Anyway, a program would be held on a makeshift stage, with the singer Victor Wood, long gone from public view, rendering a couple of numbers and leading a call on Duterte to run, please, run.

There would be several speakers, a former governor, a former military brass, and a short balding figure in red, a barangay official in Davao who started the movement in 2014 to call on Duterte to run for president.

**

There was a downpour a little after four, but the crowd put up umbrellas and stood its ground.

?Kahanga-hanga, unbelievable,? said veteran wire service photographer Bullit Marquez, who was rushing back to office to feed the colorful canvas of cold but hopeful volunteers on the soggy park to the world.

Marquez noted a rainbow at around 4.45 p.m., and how people cheered after a speaker onstage pointed to the auspicious sign.

**

As noted in a report the day after, the crowd had steadily grown after 5 p.m. despite the downpour.

Of course, the rally could not measure up to the Million People march previously staged at the Luneta to protest anomalous pork barrel allocations under the Aquino administration.

Meanwhile, one speaker would make an update during the rally by saying Duterte was in Zamboanga City helping to find solutions to the hostage crisis involving foreigners abducted on Samal Island. The speaker said Duterte reportedly offered himself as hostage in place of the foreigners.

It was time to go. There was nothing clear on what would come out of the rally, except that it revealed a passionate call for change through the vehemence of volunteers who came on their own to plead their case.

**

By dinnertime Saturday came a text message containing a statement from Duterte who admitted he had been moved by the sacrifice done by the poor rallyists.

Said Duterte: ?I heard your clamor loud and clear. I know you want an alternative to those who now present themselves with their ambition to lead the country. I have repeatedly said that I do not have ambitions to be your president. Leaders answer not to their self-interest or their personal glory. Leaders respond to duty and moral obligation.?

He asked for a chance to do one final soul-searching after which he would face his country and people to make a final decision from his heart and soul.

Duterte promised the rallyists they would never be abandoned.
?Hinding hindi ko kayo pababayaan.?


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Recah Trinidad.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.