Philippines, 30 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


PACQUIAO BREAKS L.A. CAMP AND HEADS TO LAS VEGAS MONDAY


PhilBoxing.com




LOS ANGELES, Cal. -- After completing 57 days in and out of his training camp here in this city of Angels, World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao drives to Las Vegas Monday (Tuesday in Manila) where he will be confronting American Floyd Mayweather Jr. in an epic encounter five days from now.

The 36-yer-old Filipino superhero leaves for the site of the welterweight unification showdown with the unbeaten holder of the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association 147-pound division titles armed with what his handlers claimed are needed arsenal to deal Money May his first defeat in 48 fights and be declared the undisputed kingpin in his class.

Plus, of course, the honor of joining Fighter of the Century Sugar Ray Robinson, legendary prizefighters Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Joe Frazier and Henry Armstrong, among others, in the elite list of ?Greatest? boxers of all-time.

According to his Hall of Fame chief trainer Freddie Roach, the eight-division world titleholder would have completed no less than 118 rounds of sparring, counting the four he will be doing Monday before departing, against no less than eight sparmates, whose styles resemble both the defensive and offensive forte of Mayweather, which, he added, are enough to shatter the latter?s immaculate 47-0 win-loss record.

Following the remaining days of training prior to the big fight, assistant trainer Roger ?Haplas? Fernandez swore Pacquiao would have logged 1,200 minutes of roadwork at the mountainous Griffith Hills and the flat Pan Pacific Park circuit here.

Count the 50 or so rounds in heavy bags, double-end and speed balls and conditioning floor exercises, the husband of the Sarangani Vice Gov. Jinkee, is, indeed, ready and ripe to rumble for as many as 20 rounds in the squared jungle of the MGM Grand Arena inside the posh MGM Garden Hotel.

The father of three boys ? Jimwell, Michael and Baby Israel and two girls, Princess and Queennie ? has proclaimed himself as to have survived the rigor of the build up regimen charted by Roach and conditioning guru Justin Fortune and ably implemented by members of the training staff ? Buboy Fernandez, Nonoy Neri, Haplas and Marvin Somodio.

?I have been in deep training for the past three months, including some four weeks in GenSan (General Santos City) and I believe we?ve attained the target we aimed to accomplish," Pacquiao, who is also the first man in the history of boxing to own four world lineal titles said.

?Actually, last week pa lamang ready na talaga ako,? he added. The remaining days of preparations in Las Vegas para ma-maintan na lang whatever we had just attained,? he said. ?Kahit bukas puwede na tayong lumaban.?

Preparations resume Tuesday in Las Vegas with the shortened 30 to 40 minutes morning run at a privately-owned oval, according to Fortune in lieu of the traditional Grand Arrival ceremony, which was canceled.

He will repeat the routine Wednesday before resting on Thursday in preparation for the official weigh-in Friday, the eve of the fight.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao made a pitch for Filipina Mary Jane Veloso, a convicted drug mule in Indonesia who is facing death penalty via firing squad.

In a statement addressed to Indonesian President Joko Widodo, the Sarangani Congressman begged for an executive clemency to save the life of Ms. Veloso and sparing her from execution.

?Mr. President, on May 2, I will be fighting in Las Vegas, Nevada, against Floyd Mayweather Jr., which is considered the
fight of the century,? Pacquiao?s statement, made on the behest of the family of Veloso, said.

?It will be a great morale booster if, in my own little way, I can save a life. I am dedicating this fight to my country and the entire Asian people to where the Philippines and Indonesia belong,? the statement, aired live over GMA 7, said.

Top photo: The Pacquiao bus that will take some of Pacquiao's entourage to Las Vegas on afternoon.


Pacquiao makes an appeal to Indonesian president Joko Widodo over Philippine TV network GMA 7.

Photos by Windell Rupert Alinea.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Eddie Alinea.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Traya, Bactol, De Barbo, Porres in Action in Highland Show in Thailand, live on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Shawn Darling Inducted into New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Arca wins 13th Mindanao Open chessfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Carzano rules FIDE-Rated Open Rapid Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Pythons-Primo wins 5 golds, 3 silvers, 2 bronzes in Kadayawan judo
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Crawford to Be Stripped of WBA Title Once He Climb the Ring to Fight Canelo
    By Dong Secuya, , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Sebastian Juarez Remains Undefeated with Captivating 4th Round TKO Over Louis Hernandez
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Jajaira Gonzalez Prepared to Meet the Moment at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • 2 Division & Former Unified World Champion Juan Francisco Estrada Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.