Philippines, 22 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Mitra Received Final Explanation on Pacquiao-Horn Scoring


PhilBoxing.com




PANAMA CITY, Panama -- One of the important points addressed by Philippines GAB Chairman Baham Mitra during his participation in the recently concluded WBO 31st Convention here in Panama was the issue of the Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn scoring, a very hot subject among the Filipino boxing community last year.

In that title fight, Senator Manny Pacquiao surprisingly lost his WBO Welterweight World Title to Australian rough brawler Jeff Horn, and in the eyes of GAB Chairman Baham Mitra the failure of referee Mark Nelson to warn Horn from employing illegal antics throughout the course of the combat might have affected the outcome of the highly-anticipated "Battle of Brisbane."

"To me, this is very important. We were present in the fight of Senator Pacquiao and Jeff Horn in Australia, and we were disappointed on how the fight was handled by referee," said Baham Mitra in Panama.

"Then of course disappointed of the result. There was an uproar in the Philippines and also in social media social media after the fight. We were so disappointed that Senator Pacquiao was not able to defend the crown.. the belt."

"However, you can not expect somebody as gentleman as Senator Pacquiao to protest."

"Therefore, me, together with GAB Commissioner Edward Trinidad and at the time GAB commissioner Fritz Gaston - we were all together in attendance there in Australia - so we took it upon ourselves the duty to formally write a letter of complaint to the leadership of the WBO.

"Today (Nov 1) after more than a year, I was able to rely on behalf of the Games and Amusement Board our gratitude to the WBO for acting on our complaint.


Mitra talks about the Pacquiao-Horn issue during the 31st WBO Convention in Panama (top) and confers with WBO official Michael Pernick (above).

"What the WBO did was to form a 5-member committee of independent judges to review and score the bout. And after studying the bout the results were still the same (Jeff Horn winner by points)

"Therefore, we concluded that it was not at all the fault of the judges. It was the fault of the referee Mark Nelson on how the fight was handled, said Baham Mitra, a former Governor and Congressman.

"Because the judges score only according to punches thrown and punches that land."

"So we felt very strongly that during the fight warnings should have been given (to Horn) and points deductions should have been given to fight to get clean and to avoid further damage to our honorable Senator.

"After the fight, I asked people close to Pacquiao what they intended to do. They said to me that being a gentleman, Pacquiao would keep quiet about it and would let the issue fade away, and eventually come back later on," shared Mitra.

"However, it is our job as the Philippine government agency in charge of boxing to act. Because we were present we saw what happened and we were not going to allow that to happen just like that.

"The WBO is such a prestigious organization; we were happy that they acted on our complaint.

"In fact, the head of the WBO championships committee approached me to tell me what they have done.

"Because the Pacquiao-Horn was such a big fight for us, and the world was watching and it was very clear that the referee Mark Nelson did not do his job.

"Referees do not score, but Nelson's failure to deduct points or give strong warnings to Horn had consequences on the scoring of the judges, so that is why we asked the WBO about this.

"And the fact the the WBO acted forming a committee and came up with a conclusion was positive."

"That was about a year ago. Now, Senator Pacquiao is back. He is a world champion again with another belt, and we are happy.

"In conclusion, we feel satisfied with the WBO for acting on our request. We are happy with the WBO," concluded Baham Mitra, chairman of the Philippines Games and Amusement Board.


The author Carlos Costa is a Panama-born man of boxing based in Cebu, Philippines. He attended the WBO Convention in Panama. Carlos can be reached by email: Carlos512@hotmail.com and Whatsapp: +639184538152.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Carlos Costa.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 USA Boxing Elite High Performance Set to Compete at Strandja 2026 Boxing Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria
    , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • SMEP, SAEP round 6 standoff in PTC WED NEMO 4th D’ Engineers Chess Cup
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • Late Valentine’s gift for Lover Boy
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • “Prince” Albert Pagara Heads to Perth, Australia, for WBC Australasia Title Fight
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.