Philippines, 07 Apr 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


NIETES-RAUL GARCIA TITLE FIGHT ALMOST DONE


PhilBoxing.com




Mexican promoter Oswaldo Kuchle has informed The Standard that he has "released Raul Garcia to fight Donnie Nietes, the WBO light flyweight champion and the longest reigning Filipino world champion following the willingness of Zanfer Promotions Fernando Beltran to postpone the mandatory challenge of Moises Fuentes against Nietes for a more lucrative showdown at the StubHub Center in Carson City, California on September 24.

ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told The Standard that he first wants to "agree on what is going to be out there for Fuentes before we can agree on the Garcia fight."

He said "if we fight Garcia in May we need to discuss the mandatory with Fuentes in September" before confirming the Nietes title defense against Raul Garcia, twin brother of Ramon Garcia Hirales from whom Nietes won the title by a unanimous twelve round decision at the University of St. La Salle Coliseum in Bacolod City on October 8, 2011.

Aldeguer told us that fight fans in Bacolod were clamoring for Nietes to return to his hometown of Murcia which is on the outskirts of Bacolod. He said "people wanted the fight after all the accomplishments of Donnie."

If the fight doesn't take place in Bacolod, Aldeguer said the alternative would be the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu.

Aldeguer said Fernando Beltran said he had no objections to the proposal but hadn?t yet formally agreed since they also have to secure the approval of the World Boxing Organization president Francisco ?Paco? Valcarcel who had earlier directed Nietes to face Fuentes in a mandatory title defense which would be their third fight after Nietes demolished Fuentes on May 10, 2014, dropping him three times in the 9th round for a rousing knockout victory at the Mall of Asia Arena along Manila Bay.

In suggesting that the Nietes-Fuentes mandatory be held in the US, Aldeguer was looking at a big fight with a wider American audience. However, he said if the proposal was disallowed by the WBO president, Nietes was ready to face Fuentes even in Mexico where he defended his minimumweight title successfully on several occasions against Mexican opponents in their own hometowns.

The 32 year old southpaw Raul "Rayito" Garcia who is ranked No. 11 by the WBO has a record of 36-3-1 with 22 knockouts. On June 14, 2008, he won the title from Filipino IBF Minimumweight champion Florante Condes in a somewhat controversial 12 round split decision after being dropped by Condes in the final round, in Garcia's hometown of La Paz, Mexico.

Garcia defended his IBF title four times. He lost the IBF mini flyweight title against South African Nkosinathi Joyi on 26 March 2010 by a unanimous decision.

After losing his IBF title, Garcia went on to win the WBO interim minimumweight title on October 30, 2010 by a split decision against Luis dela Rosa. He was scheduled to face Donnie Nietes on March 12, 2011 for the full championship, however, just two weeks prior to the fight date, Nietes announced that he would be vacating his world title and moving up in weight which resulted in "Rayito" Garcia being elevated to full champion.

On May 30, 2011, he successfully defended the title for the first time by third round TKO against Filipino Rommel Asenjo. Garcia and his brother Ram?n made history that on this night when they became the first set of twin brothers to win world title fights on the same card.

Photo: Raul Garcia (R) of Mexico defeated Rommel Asenjo (L) of the Philippines for the WBO minimumweight title on April 30, 2011 in Mexico City.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Richard The Contender: Torrez Dominates Vianello in Las Vegas Heavyweight Showdown
    , Sun, 06 Apr 2025
  • After 3 tries in his visa application, Filipino GM Joey is now set to conquer the Australian Chess circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 06 Apr 2025
  • Jennifer Lozano Secures Team USA’s Fourth Medal at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Sun, 06 Apr 2025
  • Victoria Sports Club open rapid chess tournament on April 27
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 06 Apr 2025
  • Questions Surround Tim Tszyu and Joe Joyce Returns to the Ring
    By Chris Carlson, , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • Ancient Warriors, Modern Stage: Kun Khmer in America
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • OKC, Cleveland on Target for Season Best Marks, Record Plus 60 Wins, Sub-20 Losses
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • NM Bernardino to join 22nd BCC Open 2025 in Thailand
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • Weights Locked In for Top Rank's ESPN Boxing Showcase in Las Vegas
    , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • “REVENGE”: SHADY GAMHOUR SEEKS PAYBACK IN REMATCH AGAINST DEVONTAE McDONALD
    , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • Heralded Amateur Star Elijah Lugo Set To Make Pro Debut on Saturday, April 5th in Philadelphia
    , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Collects Three Bronze Medals on Day Four in Brazil
    , Sat, 05 Apr 2025
  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.