FILIPINO ROILO GOLEZ AND MEXICAN SAMMY "GUTY" GUTIERREZ FOR WBC SILVER TITLE FACE OFF IN MEXICO (PHOTOS)
By Carlos Costa
Thu, 29 Sep 2011
Filipino Roilo Golez of Compostela Valley arrived in Mexico and had a faced off session with his opponent dangerous Mexican former 2-time world champion Sammy "Guty" Gutierrez.
Roilo "The Phonex" Golez and Sammy "Guty" Gutierrez will battle for the vacant WBC Silver light flyweight world title at the Centro de Expositores Puebla in Mexico this coming Sunday morning (Manila Time).
Both fighters already met face-to-face during a public appearance in Puebla as the young Filipino appeared in good spirits and shape while looking forward to the most important fight of his life.
However difficult this title fight might be for the Filipino, this is not the first time that "The Phoenix" Roilo Golez, 24, fights thousands of miles away from home.
Last July Golez traveled to the Kingdom of Thailand to knock out highly regarded world rated Thai warrior Thongthailek Sor Tanapinyo in Krathumbean in Samut Sakhon.
Philboxing was the only international news organization covering Rolio's combat where the unheralded Filipino impressively dropped and destroyed the tough 24-year old Thongthailek during their thrilling action of round 10 to proclaim himself the new WBC Asian Boxing Council minimumweight king.
Golez did everything right in his last combat that afternoon behind enemy lines.
The young Pinoy displayed courage under fire while surrounded by hostile fans who wanted his demise. Golez also displayed guts, strength and stamina as the fight progressed with Thongthailek was at full speed.
However impressive and inspiring was Golez victory in Thailand, the Mexican Sammy "Guty" Gutierrez, a former 2-time world champion, is by far a better warrior than Thongthailek. Gutierrez is a more complete boxer with much staggering punching power.
In fact, "El Guty"Gutierrez has won 8 of his last 9 fights by KO. One of those victims was Filipino Renan Trongco, 22, whom Guty destroyed mercilessly in six rounds. The Mexican's sole recent defeat was a close world title war against top fighter former 2-time world champion Nicaragua's Juan "El Exterminador" Palacios (29-3, 20KO's).
The more experienced Sammy "Guty "Gutierrez, 25, has dealt with better opponents than Golez and has a been more active in top level combats. Plus, the fact that the Mexican will be fighting in his own hometown of Puebla makes this war a very tough mission for the Filipino. But mission not impossible.
Roilo Golez has the will and brave heart to get into this battle and has a good team backing him up. His trainer is the experienced Raul Terado who will be in Golez's corner along with Brico Santig of Baguio. Santig was the sole cornerman assisting Golez in his amazing triumph in Thailand last July.
Pinoys and teammates Roilo Golez and Brico Santig planned to repeat another stunning victory. Will they manage to pull another thrilling victory and give the Philippines the beautiful present of a WBC Silver World Title crown? Fans in Philippines and Mexico will find out Sunday morning (Manila Time).
In the meantime, Roilo and the Golez-Singwancha team are resting at the comfortable and modern four stars Hotel Lastra located nearby the Historic Center of Puebla on Calzada De Los Fuertes 2633 in Colonia Rincon del Bosque, one of the residential areas of Puebla. Puebla is 150 Km east of Ciudad de Mexico (on the way to Veracruz).
MORE ATTRACTIVE BOUTS IN THIS PUEBLA CARD:
Prior to the Golez vs Gutierrez rumble, there will be a variety of attractive combats between Mexicans boxers which will entertain fight fans at the Centro de Expositores Puebla:
- In the co-main event, world rated popular tall super featherweight Mexican Alejandro "Flacucho" Sanabria (28-1-1, 20KO's) of Ciudad de Mexico will battle 10 rounds against fellow Defe?o Pedro "Vaquero" Navarrete. Sanabria is the current WBC Continental Americas super featherweight champion and WBC # 16.
- In addition, former WBC world champion Cruz "Cucho" Carbajal of Veracruz will clash for 10 rounds with # 1 national Mexican super bantamweight Pedro Torres of Ciudad Juarez.
- Plus, unbeaten young prospect hard hitting super bantamweight Jose "Venado" Torres (8-0, 6KO's) of Torreon, Coahuila, who is the current Mexico's "Campeon del Cinturon de Oro 2011" will fight 8-rounds against fearless local fighter Walter Luna.
- Also, undefeated Giovanni Delgado (6-0, 3KO's) of Ciudad de Mexico will deal with Poblano bantamweight Gustavo Saavedra.
- The first fight of the evening will be a 4-rounder rough affair between undefeated flyweights Omar Rodriguez (3-0, 3KO's) and undefeated Josue "Pelon" Rodriguez of Torreon, Coahuila de Zaragoza, Mexico. Both boxers in the first combat are surnamed Rodriguez, but they are no relatives.
Roilo Golez vs Sammy "Guty" Gutierrez for the WBC Silver Title fight card in Puebla, Mexico, is organized and presented by Mexican promoters Reginaldo and Oswaldo Kuchle of Promociones del Pueblo in association with Comex, Cerveza Corona and Mexico's TV channel Televisa
Top and above photos: Golez (L) and Gutierrez pose at the Puebla.
L-R: Golez, Golez's manager Brico Santig and trainer Raul Terado.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Carlos Costa.
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org