Philippines, 04 Apr 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


WBC BOARD OF GOVERNORS TO DECIDE ON SOTO-LORENZO FIGHT


PhilBoxing.com




World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman has announced that the WBC board of governors will vote on whether to declare the interim super featherweight title fight between Humberto Soto and Francisco Lorenzo a no contest or to declare Soto the winner by knockout.

Sulaiman condemned the decision of referee Joe Cortez to disqualify Soto as a "gross injustice" and one of the biggest he has seen in a long time.He said the officials "should have accepted the WBC rule of instant replay and if they had, they would have seen what happened."

Since the fight was for the interim title Sulaiman stressed "the decision for the world is our's. The decision for the municipality is theirs" providing another insight into the WBC's differences with the Nevada State Athletic Commission which insists on appointing referees and judges for all fights and ignoring the sanctioning bodies.

Sulaiman told well-known boxing writer and television reporter James Blears that the WBC had reviewed the instant replay and discovered there was "absolutely no reason for the disqualification" pointing out that Lorenzo had "gone down to the canvas refusing to fight."

After lengthy consultations with NSAC officials at ringside Cortez disqualified Soto in the fourth round for allegedly hitting Lorenzo at the back of the neck with what is referred to as a "rabbit punch" and a cause for disqualification. However, it was clear that it was a glancing tap after Lorenzo had already gone down from a flurry of punches and was badly bloodied and didn't want to continue. The WBC did not award the belt to Lorenzo because of the controversy.

Don Jose said he was also puzzled by the actions of referee Cortez who "intervened twice to stop the fight when they were exchanging blows. There was no clinch. So I don't understand that in a referee with so much experience."

Discussing the possibility of a rematch Don Jose said "I don't know if Lorenzo would like a rematch after what happened because he was really getting a beating the like of which I have seen very few times in recent boxing. In the third and fourth rounds it became a one-sided fight."

The decision of the WBC governors will be known within seven to ten days.

Top photo: Humberto Soto of Mexico (L) stands in the ring after fighting Francisco Lorenzo of the Dominican Republic (R) during their interim WBC super featherweight title fight at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada June 28, 2008. Referee Joe Cortez disqualified Soto after hitting Lorenzo while he was down. REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks (UNITED STATES)


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Tellez Sisters Reina and Gabriela Sign with Boxlab Promotions
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Arena Grand Master Mohamad Sacar sweeps 1st Vientiane Open FIDE Rated Standard Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Unbeaten junior middleweight prospect Anthony “ATV” Velazquez Ready to bust out of New England
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.