Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Clarin aims to protect Pinoys abroad


PhilBoxing.com




GAB chairman Atty. Richard Clarin was a witness to what would’ve been a travesty of justice if not for a sensational 12th round TKO win by Charly Suarez over previously unbeaten hometowner Paul Fleming to save the day at the Kevin Betts Stadium, Mount Druitt, Sydney recently.

Clarin was at ringside, attending his second overseas assignment after Bangkok and had in mind to file a protest if the fight went the distance and Fleming got the judges’ nod. But the boxing gods intervened in a providential act of the ring heavens as Suarez frustrated a sinister plot to award the decision to Fleming whether or not he deserved it. Entering the final round, the three Australian judges had Fleming comfortably ahead. Dick Israel had it a wide 108-101, Mick Heafey 107-102 and Dean Cambridge 106-103, all for Fleming. If the bout lasted the full route, Fleming would’ve won on points even with Suarez winning the 12th frame.

Suarez said he knew from the onset, the only way to win was by KO. The plan was to tire out Fleming then go for a late stoppage. Suarez’ coach/cornerman Delfin Boholst, a retired Philippine Army officer and a former ABAP national boxer, figured Fleming would engage from start to finish so the door was wide open for a knockout. “Alam namin ‘di tatakbo si Fleming at makikipagsabayan,” said Boholst. To his credit, Fleming could’ve avoided danger by coasting in the last round to win on points but didn’t.

Suarez, a devout Christian, said God showed the way to victory. During the final round, they were in a heated exchange when there was a misstep that threw off Suarez’ timing. Suarez ended up throwing a wild left hook that somehow found its mark. Fleming went down, got up and struggled to stay on his feet. Australian referee Pat O’Connor should’ve stepped in right then and there but gave Fleming a chance to survive. When action was resumed, Suarez went in for the kill. A barrage of blows left Fleming wondering where he was. Fleming spat out his mouthpiece and turned away, leaving O’Connor no choice but to end the carnage. The escape rewarded Suarez with the IBF Intercontinental, IBO Intercontinental and WBC Asian Boxing Council superfeatherweight titles aside from retaining his IBF Asian championship. But the big prize is Suarez, rated No. 8 by IBF and No. 10 by WBA, is now in line to challenge the winner of the Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov-Joe Cordina fight for the IBF crown in Cardiff on April 22 if Fleming doesn’t pursue an immediate rematch.

Boholst said Fleming has the right to a return bout by contract but where isn’t specified. Clarin said he’s hoping to convince sponsors, particularly Manny Pacquiao, to bankroll the rematch in Manila, if ever. The GAB head said he recalled how Pacquiao was prejudiced in his fight against Jeff Horn in Australia and wouldn’t want the same fate for Suarez. “I intend to reach out to international promoters and insist that when Filipinos are involved in overseas bouts, especially with a title at stake, there should be at least one neutral judge when the two other judges are from countries represented by the two boxers,” he said.

Boholst said his dream is for Suarez to face Cordina. “Nag-message ako kay Cordina at sinabi ko panahon na mag-rematch kay Charly,” said Boholst. In the 2016 Rio Olympics, Suarez lost to Cordina by a split decision over three rounds. Suarez, who logged five fights last year, said he hopes to get a chance to avenge the loss and it would be a perfect setting if Cordina beats Rakhimov so they could tangle for the belt. Both Suarez and Cordina are unbeaten as pros.

Photo: GAB chairman Atty Richard Clarin (to the right of Charly Suarez) and members of Team Suarez, celebrate after Suarez's knockout victory over Paul Fleming recently in Sydney, Australia.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.