Philippines, 31 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Ancajas defense reset but foe unsure


PhilBoxing.com




IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas and nutritionist Jeaneth Aro in Los Angeles.

LOS ANGELES. IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas won’t stake his title against Jonathan Javier Rodriguez at the Dignity Health Sports Park in nearby Carson City after all as Top Rank Promotions yesterday decided to cancel the scheduled 12-round fight with the Mexican challenger unable to complete his medical exams on time because of a delay in the issuance of his US visa.

For over a month, MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons tried to facilitate the release of Rodriguez’ US visa. There were slip-ups along the way like Rodriguez missing his appointment at the US Embassy in Mexico City. Rodriguez’ visa was finally approved last Oct. 25 but for some reason, the US government failed to release it until last Thursday in Monterrey. By then, Rodriguez wouldn’t have been able to accomplish the medical requirements of the California State Athletic Commission to proceed with the fight.

“We were frantically trying to speed up the process but it didn’t happen,” said Gibbons. “I’m just devastated. Something bad like this shouldn’t happen to a good guy like Jerwin who sacrificed so much to get to the condition he’s in now. The visa came too late but there were also issues involving Rodriguez himself.”

Ancajas’ eighth title defense was scheduled to take place tonight (tomorrow morning, Manila time). Ancajas would’ve easily made the 115-pound limit at the weigh-in but that’s no longer relevant. Before Gibbons, who is in Manila, phoned Ancajas’ manager Joven Jimenez to break the news late yesterday afternoon, the fighter had just skipped rope, banged the mitts, shadow boxed and did calisthenics then stepped on the scales to hit 115.

“Ginawa ko yung dapat kong gawin,” said Ancajas. “Handang-handa no akong lumaban. Nakuha ko na ang timbang. Malungkot ako at alam kong marami tayong kababayan sabik na sabik mapanood yung laban ko. Nguni’t, wala sa atin control ang nangyari. Ganoon talaga kung minsan ang boksing. Hihingi na lang ako ng pasyensya sa mga kababayan natin.”

Ancajas, Jimenez, nutritionist Jeaneth Aro and their traveling party are scheduled to leave here for Manila on Wednesday. But with this development, it looks like Ancajas and Jimenez will stay in the US with Top Rank announcing the fight may be reset to Dec. 7, possibly in Puebla, Mexico, in the undercard of the main event featuring WBO superbantamweight champion Emanuel Navarrete. Gibbons said Ancajas could set up training camp in Las Vegas where other Filipino fighters Johnriel Casimero, Marlon Tapales and Jhack Tepora are based until he heads off to Mexico or wherever his next fight is held.

Tomorrow night, Ancajas will watch the NBA game between the Los Angeles Clippers and the Utah Jazz at the Staples Center. It will keep his mind off boxing for a while. Then, as soon as Top Rank finalizes the schedule for his next fight, he’ll be back in the gym to prepare himself for his aborted eighth title defense.

Because the fight against Rodriguez isn’t pushing through, Ancajas will receive no purse. Gibbons said he has so far advanced the funding to cover Ancajas’ training expenses and will also arrange for money to be sent to the fighter’s family in Cavite. “We’ll get it back when the next fight happens,” he said. “Maybe, we’ll request Uncle Bob (Arum) to advance a portion of Jerwin’s purse so we can take care of his expenses for the next month until the fight on Dec. 7.”

It’s not certain if Rodriguez will still be Ancajas’ challenger in the reset fight. Gibbons said it may be somebody else. Rodriguez was supposed to arrive here early this week. He was reportedly training in Tijuana and ready to hop into a car to take the 2 1/2 hour drive to L. A. but couldn’t leave because of his visa issues. Rodriguez could’ve avoided the delay and stress if he were more responsible. He scrambled to obtain his US visa at the last minute but couldn’t be ready to fight as scheduled.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • "The Return" Weights from Detroit
    , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Efren Reyes Yalin 10-Ball Tourney: Corteza Faces Villafuerte in Finals
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Martha Salazar: Stepping Out of Her Own Shadow
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Laurente and Marapu Make Weight for IBF Regional Title; Gaballo Fights Tomorrow in Sanman Boxing Show in Gensan
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • IM Christian Arca sweeps 10-game simultaneous chess in IIEE SMRC in Davao City
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • GOLDEN BOY PRESENTS “I’M SWEET” FEATURING GABRIELA “SWEET POISON” FUNDORA
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya, Bactol, De Barbo, Porres in Action in Highland Show in Thailand, live on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Shawn Darling Inducted into New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Arca wins 13th Mindanao Open chessfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.