![]() |
||||
|
|
|
May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas PhilBoxing.com Fri, 04 Apr 2025 ![]() The Inoue-Cardenas undisputed junior featherweight showdown and the Rafael Espinoza-Edward Vazquez featherweight world title battle will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. LAS VEGAS (April 3, 2025) — Two of boxing’s brightest young stars, Dominican contender Rohan Polanco and second-generation superstar Emiliano Fernando Vargas, are set to shine as part of the Cinco de Mayo Weekend super card on Sunday, May 4, at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Polanco will lock horns with Argentinean puncher Fabian Maidana in a 10-round welterweight contest, while Vargas will face an opponent to be announced in an eight-round junior welterweight battle. Polanco-Maidana and Vargas’ return will serve as the featured bouts on the ESPN+-streamed undercard. In the ESPN-televised main event, Japanese pound-for-pound icon Naoya Inoue will defend his undisputed junior featherweight championship against San Antonio’s Ramon Cardenas. WBO featherweight world champion Rafael Espinoza will defend his crown against former world title challenger Edward Vazquez in the co-feature. Inoue-Cardenas and Espinoza-Vazquez will be broadcast live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Ohashi Promotion, Teiken Promotions, and Sampson Boxing, tickets are on sale now via AXS.com. “Rohan and Emiliano are emerging superstars and welcome additions to this incredible card at T-Mobile Arena,” said Top Rank Chairman Bob Arum. “Before Inoue and Espinoza defend their titles, fight fans will have the opportunity to watch two future world champions in action.” Polanco (15-0, 10 KOs), a 2020 Olympian, signed with Top Rank in December 2022. He made three trips to the office last year and left early twice. After an eight-round unanimous decision over Tarik Zaina in March, he demolished Luis Hernandez in two that June. Last September, he closed the year with a sixth-round stoppage of Argentine veteran Marcelino Lopez. Ranked No. 10 by the WBO at welterweight, Polanco kicked off 2025 by blasting through once-beaten Jean Carlos Torres in just two rounds in February. Maidana (24-3, 18 KOs), the 32-year-old younger brother of former two-division world champion Marcos Maidana, is a 10-year pro who challenged Mario Barrios for the WBC interim welterweight title in May 2024. He bounced back with knockout wins in Argentina in October and December. Polanco said, "This fight is a major challenge for me, but it’s also a great platform to showcase my skills in front of a massive audience. This is a great step forward for my career and will give me a chance to earn new fans while proudly raising the Dominican flag." Vargas (13-0, 11 KOs), the youngest son of former junior middleweight world champion Fernando Vargas, compiled a 110-10 amateur record before turning pro in May 2022 with a first-round knockout against Mark Salgado. He signed with Top Rank that October and made his promotional debut the following month by blitzing Julio Martinez in two rounds. The 20-year-old moved to junior welterweight last year and went 4-0 with three knockouts, including stoppages over Angel Varela, Jose Zaragoza, and Larry Fryers. Fresh off a highlight-reel second-round TKO over Giovannie Gonzalez last Saturday, he’s looking to keep the momentum rolling. Vargas said, “To fight at T-Mobile Arena on Cinco De Mayo Weekend, alongside incredible champions like Naoya Inoue and Rafael Espinoza, is a great opportunity. I kicked off my 2025 campaign in style last week and will continue that momentum with another standout performance on May 4.” In other scheduled undercard action: • Japanese knockout artist Mikito Nakano (12-0, 11 KOs) will take on Puerto Rico’s Pedro Marquez (16-1, 10 KOs) in a 10-round fight at featherweight. Nakano is ranked in the Top 10 by the WBC, WBA, IBF, and WBO. • Former interim junior featherweight champion Raeese Aleem (21-1, 12 KOs) will face an opponent to be named in a 10-rounder at featherweight. ![]() |
|
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general. Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com |
PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
developed and maintained by dong secuya © 2025 philboxing.com. |