Philippines, 04 Apr 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Paradero scares off foe


PhilBoxing.com



Robert Paradero (C).

Bukidnon contender Robert (Inggo) Paradero was supposed to face Thembelani Okolo for the vacant World Boxing Federation (WBF) strawweight (or minimumweight) title in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, on June 27 but it was announced the other day that another Filipino Clyde Azarcon has been picked to fight the hometowner instead. Filipino matchmaker Jerald Tepora, who is based in Malaysia, said South African promoter Mbulelo Mfama asked to replace Paradero “kasi takot sila kay Inggo.”

Paradero is coming off a loss by split decision to Vic Saludar for the vacant WBA minimumweight crown and had vowed to make mincemeat of Okolo. “Babawi ako mula sa pagkatalo kay Saludar at pakikita ko sa mga Pilipino ang pagbabalik ko,” said Paradero. “Magaling si Okolo pero kaya ko. Sayang di matuloy, makabawi sana ako. Mismatch daw, takot sila at kumuha ng ibang kalaban.” Tepora suggested Azarcon as replacement. Azarcon is the reigning World Boxing Foundation (also known as WBF) Intercontinental minimumweight champion and has lost only once in his last six bouts. His record is 17-3-1, with 6 KOs compared to Paradero’s 18-1, with 12 KOs. Okolo’s record is 9-5-1, with 5 KOs.

Paradero would’ve received $4,000 for the Okolo fight but the contract did not specify an amount to be paid if it’s cancelled. The contract stipulated the purse to be deposited with Boxing South Africa in escrow 30 days before the match. Another Filipino Jonas Sultan flew to South Africa for a fight last year and was promised $1,000 when it was scratched but to this day, has not been paid. Azarcon will likely be bound by the same contract as Paradero.

What appears anomalous is the sanctioning body’s identity as there are two distinct organizations claiming to be WBF. The World Boxing Federation was established by Larry Carrier in Tennessee in 1988 and was active until 2004 with Filipinos Ronnie Magramo, William Magahin, Rico Siodora, Rolando Toyogon, Orlando Villaflor and Joselito Rivera among its champions. The World Boxing Federation became the World Boxing Foundation in 2004 with Australian Mick Croucher taking over as president. In 2006, Filipino Dondon Sultan captured the World Boxing Foundation welterweight crown and last year, another Filipino ArAr Andales claimed the lightflyweight title. Curiously, the Foundation recognizes only 16 weight classes, disregarding the miniumweight division, and 15 thrones are vacant with Andales the only champion.

In 2009, the World Boxing Federation was revived and reestablished in Luxembourg with South African Howard Goldberg as president. It reclaimed the use of WBF despite the World Boxing Foundation’s assertion. The “new” Federation recognizes only seven champions with 10 titles vacant. The only Filipinos in the Federation rankings are No. 3 JohnRiel Casimero and No. 5 Nonito Donaire in bantamweight, No. 5 Jerwin Ancajas in superflyweight, No. 8 Edward Heno and No. 10 Milan Melindo in lightflyweight and No. 7 Saludar in minimumweight. Okolo, Paradero and Azarcon are not in the top 10, making it unjustifiable for the Federation to choose any one of them to vie for the vacant 105-pound throne.

Filipinos fighting in South Africa are almost like sacrificial lambs. Last weekend, Jerald Paclar lost a decision to Yanga Sigqibo in South Africa and wasn’t paid his $5,000 purse until GAB chairman Baham Mitra appealed to WBO Asia Pacific chairman Leon Panoncillo, who’s in Thailand, for assistance. It wasn’t just the loss and unpaid purse that caused Paclar a major headache. Leaving South Africa for home was another problem. Paclar and manager Raffy Jimenez were booked to fly out of Johannesburg to Manila via Dubai then to Cebu but because of COVID protocols, had to wait in the airport for a new flight from Johannesburg to Manila via Addis Ababa then to Cebu. The purse was paid by Panoncillo in South African promoter Nomfesane Nyatela’s behalf yesterday but it took Mitra’s intervention to make it happen. Will the same fate await Azarcon?


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Tellez Sisters Reina and Gabriela Sign with Boxlab Promotions
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.