Philippines, 20 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Loreto now back home in Davao; still waiting for unpaid purse


PhilBoxing.com




DAVAO CITY -- Reigning International Boxing Organization (IBO) world junior flyweight champion Rey ?Hitman? Loreto is now back home in Davao City but has not yet been paid of his purse ? a $42,000 for successfully defending his title in South Africa last March 24.

Loreto, who even fought despite having been operated for acute appendicitis more than a month only in Baguio City, is now only renting a boarding house together with his 15-year old brother and a cousin in Davao.

?Hindi pa kasi tapos yun pinapagawa kong bahay sa Calinan,? said the 24-year old Loreto at the SCOOP Session of The Royal Mandaya Hotel.

?Yung premyo ko po sana ang gagamitin ko para matapos na ang bahay namin,? said Loreto, who plans to stay here for more than three months for his full recovery.

Loreto, who is this year's Co-Boxer of the Year in the annual Gabriel Elorde Awards, still decided to fight despite having a fresh wound from his operation because he really want the money to finish the construction of his house.

?Pinaubaya ko na lang sa Panginoon sa itaas. Hindi ko nga agad nalaman na nanalo na pala ako,? said Loreto, who improved his record to 20 wins, 12 Kos and 13 loses.

Loreto said that he was first hit on the body before he countered it with a left-right combination that sent down the challenger in 1:46 of the 1st round.

Loreto, who is based in La Trinidad, Benguet, plans to keep himself fit by training at the Empire Boxing Gym in Matina or at the Sonshine Boxing gym in Buhangin.

?I also want to train my younger brother and his cousin,? said Loreto, who retained his title by a sensational first round knockout on South African challenger Nkosinathi Joyi in East London, South Africa.

Handi, also the manager of Joyi, failed to remit the amount of $45,000 representing Loreto's purse and that of another Filipino boxer, Jetly Purisima, who fought in the undercard of the championship bout but lost a 10-round bout by decision.

Loreto said that he was not also given a brand new championship belt by the South African boxing promoter Siphato Handi.
Through the assistance of former North Cotabato Gov. Manny Pi?ol, Loreto has already filed a formal complaint with the Philippines Games and Amusements Board (GAB) against Handi.
Loreto filed the complaint exactly 17 days after he knocked out again Joyi, who was also pummeled to submission in the third round during their first championship bout held February last year in Monaco.

After the last fight, Loreto and his trainer were immediately sent safely back to their hotel for security reasons.

?Marami kasing galit na mga tao doon pagkatapos ma knockout yung kababayan nila. Sinabi ni Gov. na baka daw may babaril sa amin,? said Loreto, a native of Tamayong, Calinan.

Handi, shortly before the weigh-in on March 23, informed Pi?ol, as chief executive officer of Sonshine Sports Management which is Loreto's contractual promoter, that the financial support of the Eastern Cape Government for his boxing promotion was delayed but promised that the money would be ready by March 25.

When informed by Handi of the development, Pi?ol immediately asked Loreto and his trainer, Joven Jorda, and boxer Purisima to be present during a meeting called by the South African promoter.
Present during the meeting were Handi, IBO supervisor Len Hunt, Boxing South Africa supervisor Phakamile Jacobs, the representative of the Eastern Cape Government, Loreto, Jorda, Purisima and Pi?ol.

After receiving assurances from the promoter, the BSA supervisor, the IBO representative and the Eastern Cape government representative that the purse would be paid after the fight, Pi?ol asked Loreto and Purisima, if they were willing to fight even without the purse being paid before the fight.
When the boxers agreed to fight, Pi?ol asked the promoter to prepare a promissory note that the purse would be transferred to Pi?ol?s Philippine bank account on March 25.

When the money was not transferred on March 25, Handi sent an email message addressed to Pi?ol, IBO President Ed Levine and IBO supervisor Len Hunt that the money from the Eastern Cape government was delayed and that the new transfer date was April 7.

Sensing that Handi could not live up to his commitment, Pi?ol immediately sought the help of some South African boxing men to find South African lawyers to protect the interests of the Filipino boxers.

A South African law firm, Stan Fanaroff and Associates, has agreed to represent the boxers and their managers and promoters.
Submitted to the law firm were the fight contracts signed by Loreto and his manager, Brico Santig, and Purisima, who was represented by Pi?ol, with Handi, and the promissory note signed by Handi.

Games and Amusements Board (GAB) Chairman Juan Ramon Guanzon, reacting to the complaint filed by Loreto, said the Commission will immediately communicate with its South African counterpart, Boxing South Africa, and the IBO to resolve the problem. LITO DELOS REYES

PHOTO CAPTION:
IBO world super flyweight champion Rey "Hitman" Loreto (left) with Philboxing writer Lito delos Reyes at the SCOOP Session of The Royal Mandaya Hotel last April 14. (Photo by JIMMY JAVIER)


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Team Sugar Rush wins Sir Jessie Villasin Chess Team 2X2 Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Paolo Gallito, 6 others in the last 16 in Malaysia
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis Returns Home With Decision Win Over Nahir Albright
    , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Heartbreak in Johannesburg: Jerusalem Dethroned by Kuse in Bloody Rematch
    By Dong Secuya, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Roy Jones Jr. Blasts Dana White and Zuffa’s Push to Reshape Boxing During Explosive “Boxing Primetime Show” Interview
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Weigh-In Results: Keyshawn Davis vs. Nahir Albright II
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Jerusalem vs. Kuse II: High-Stakes Rematch in Johannesburg
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Hometown Hero Edward Vazquez Returns to ProBoxTV on Friday, June 5, to Face Mexico’s Daniel Lugo in the 10-round Main Event of ‘The Contender Series’ at University of Texas in Arlington
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • AQ Prime to host 2 big tournaments
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 16 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.