Philippines, 21 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


New Zealander boxer to make pro debut in Gensan


PhilBoxing.com


A FORMER amateur boxer from New Zealand will make his debut as a professional fighter on the ring this Saturday, Jan. 17 at the Oval Plaza Covered Court in General Santos City.

Benny Jade Slight will make his first outing as a pro boxer in the curtain raiser against Michael Manambay in a 4-rounder 140-pound bout.

The 24-year old Slight is one of the two foreign boxers fighting under the Sanman Boxing Stable and Promotions. The other one is reigning WBC Asia and WBU International junior welterweight champion Danny McDermott of United States.

"Kailangan magandang laban agad ang ipapakita natin dahil unang card ito for this year," said boxing promoter Jim Claude Manangquil of Sanman Promotions.

The boxing promotion is free to the public. It is also sponsored by Dexter Tan and John RayManangquil, co-promoters of Sanman Promotions.

Slight, a former amateur boxer in New Zealand and Australia, has won his two amateur fights in Mindanao last year.

"Slight wants to become a world champion," Manangquil said.
Also pitted in the undercard of the Sanman's maiden boxing card for 2015 are five other boxers of Sanman Boxing Gym - Ronnie Tanallon, Romero Duno, Markquil Salvana, Reymart Gaballo and Mike Angelo Plania.

Tanallon fights Amiero Ricablanca in 8 rounds for 108 pounds. Duno takes on Rey Liparamon (6 rds.-126 lbs.), Salvana faces Rolando Omela (6 rds.-112 lbs.), Gaballo collides with Paolo Romero (6 rds.-118 lbs.) and Plania test his mettle against Jose Cawsing (6 rds.-118 lbs.).

The main event will feature Sanman's Harmonito "Lights Out" dela Torre, reigning World Boxing Federation (WBF) world super featherweight champion, in a 10-rounder non-title fight against knockout artist JR Mendoza.

Dela Torre is undefeated with 14 wins, 9 KOs and 0 draw.
The 5-foot-8 Dela Torre previously stopped Indonesian Isaak Junior in the 4th round last October 13 to win the vacant WBF world super bantam title at the Lagao Gym in Gensan.

The 20-year old Dela Torre, a native of Cagayan de Oro City, has only stopped training for the fight during Christmas Day (December 25).

Dela Torre is training at the Sanman Gym located at Nunez St., Purok Malakas, Gensan with Rene Gabawa as the chief trainer.
Dela Torre previously outclassed Adam Diu Abdulhamid last Nov. 27 at the SAFI compound in Tambler, Gensan during the birthday boxing promotion of Mananguil.

Mendoza, a native of Koronadal City, also knocked out Eric Barcelona in the 4th round last March 20 in Panabo City. - LITO DELOS REYES


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.