SBB agrees to a one-fight deal for Drian Francisco
Mon, 03 Jun 2013
OUT OF respect for Top Rank, Saved by the Bell Promotion will not prevent Drian ‘‘Golden Fists’’ Francisco from figuring as main attraction of a fightcard July 12 at the Texas Station Casino in Las Vegas.
Though Francisco (24-1, 16 KOs) has a live contract with his promotional company, SBB president Elmer Anuran said he has given the go-signal for the fight. Francisco battles Chris Avalos (21-2-0, 16 knockouts) in the main event of the card promoted by Top Rank.
Anuran, a well-respected Batangueño sportsman-businessman, said he had already talked with Top Rank legal counsel Daniel Pacheri.
‘‘I would like to thank Top Rank chief Bob Arum for his valuable time. Top Rank looked at Drian’s contract with SBB. I was told that somebody endorsed Drian to Top Rank to promote this fight not knowing that Drian still has a live SBB contract,’’ said Anuran.‘‘SBB respects this event promoted by Top Rank.’’
Anuran said he told Pacheri that he’s open to negotiations regarding Francisco’s contract.
‘‘The truth is I told Mr. Pacheri that we’ll wait for the result of Drian’s fight against Avalos. Then, SBB will take it from there,’’ said Anuran. ‘‘SBB is willing to sell the contract because the company intends to recover part of its investments. We will settle everything depending on Drian’s performance.’’
Anuran said he is also not closing the doors on initiating legal action against Francisco.
‘‘I have to uphold the integrity of Saved by the Bell,’’ said Anuran.
‘‘We’re so easy to talk to, if only he address his intention to leave. We just need to make it proper and there’ll be no problem. It’s a must win for Drian because Top Rank will not buy out the contract. SBB will file a legal case against him. I just hope his so called new handler will still there to save him. Anuran, however, stressed that he wished that Drian will win against Avalos, whom he described as a worthy opponent and brave kid. Anuran believes that Avalos has the tools to bring Drian crashing back to earth. There’s an old saying that ‘‘he who doesn’t know to look back on his roots shall never succeed.’’
‘‘In a way, I am also protecting the rights of the small promoters. This is unfair for us because we’ve invested much and then suddenly everything will amount to nothing,’’ said Anuran, who e-mailed Top Rank a copy of Francisco’s contract.
‘‘I have to fight for this because I don’t want this to happen to other boxing managers in the country.’’
‘‘I would like to remind Drian that he signed a renewal contract. This means we have an old three-year promotional contract that expired last month. How come, he’s claiming that he didn’t read the contract and he signed it under duress. Remember that he’s a college graduate and a smart boxer,’’ Anuran stressed.
Francisco lost his first defense of the interim title to Tepparith Kokieygym in 2011but scored victories on the comeback trail.The 30-year-old Filipino bested Javier Gallo in Los Angeles, California and Jose Carlos Vargas in Mexico. He also downed Pitchitchai Twins Gym and veteran Filipino fighter Michael Domingo. (PR)
Filipino boxing manager Elmer Anuran (L) and boxer Drian Francisco.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by .
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org