Philippines, 22 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Drian unfazed by bout delay


PhilBoxing.com




MANILA, Philippines - Drian Francisco toyed with unbeaten Ryan Origenes in a three-round exhibition during a “Saved By The Bell” card at Eastwood, Libis, last Friday night and gave the crowd a preview of what to expect when he takes on Panama’s hard-hitting Ricardo (El Matematico) Nu?ez in a WBA superflyweight title eliminator at the Ynares Gym in Pasig on April 17.

Francisco’s manager Elmer Anuran said WBA executive vice president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza Jr. phoned long distance the other day from Panama to confirm the postponement of the fight from March 27 to April 17 as Nu?ez suffered a cut on his left eyebrow in a sparring session.

Nu?ez, ranked No. 2 by the WBA and No. 1 by the WBC, is in the way of Francisco’s climb to the top. The 22-year-old contender, known for his mathematical precision, blinding hand-speed and ruthless killer’s instinct, has a record of 17-1, with 15 KOs, including seven in the first round.

“We’re slowing down his training because we don’t want Drian to burn out,” said Anuran who produces “Saved By The Bell,” a weekly boxing program shown Sundays at 3 p.m. on Solar TV (RPN-9) with Monday replays at 6 p.m. on the Solar Sports cable channel. “He was already into hard sparring but now, we’ll taper off. We’re not bothered by the delay. Drian will be ready whether the fight is sooner or later.”

Francisco, 27, impressed the fans at Libis by totally dominating Marty Elorde’s protege Origenes. Solar vice president Ralph Roy was in the audience and said Francisco never looked sharper.

“Everybody, including the GAB officials at ringside, noticed how much he has improved,” said Anuran. “Since he beat (Roberto) Vasquez last October, Drian’s confidence has gone up several notches. It shows in the way he moves around the ring. He has improved in all departments - footwork, defense, power, combinations. He’s ready for Nunez.”

Anuran said he initially got an email from Nu?ez representative Carlos Gonzalez informing him about the cut last week. Then Mendoza called to confirm the postponement.

“One good thing about the delay is Mr. Mendoza agreed to allow a Filipino referee for the fight,” said Anuran. “It was a concession to me as the promoter because moving the fight will mean additional costs. I’m happy to announce that Silvestre Abainza will be the referee. The judges will come from neutral countries - Sergio Caiz from the US, a Japanese and a Thai.”

Caiz, who is of Mexican descent, was a judge in WBA lightflyweight champion Giovanni Segura’s third round knockout over Walter Tello in Acapulco last month.

Anuran said he is still trying to lay his hands on a video of a recent Nu?ez fight. Nu?ez’ camp has refused to send over a video. The only video that Anuran has is a 2007 six-round bout where Nu?ez stopped Carlos Rivas in the third.

“We’ve studied Nu?ez’ style from the video of the Rivas fight but we’re sure he has improved since then,” said Anuran. “We don’t really know what to expect but whatever he brings to the ring, Drian will be ready. He won’t throw away this chance.”

The winner of the Francisco-Nu?ez eliminator will move on to challenge WBA superflyweight titlist Nobuo Nashiro of Japan.

Francisco advanced to No. 3 in the WBA ratings after halting Vasquez in the 10th round for the vacant WBA International 115-pound crown at the Cuneta Astrodome last October. The win raised Francisco’s record to 18-0-1, with 14 KOs. Vasquez was once the WBA lightflyweight titleholder.

A San Sebastian college graduate, Francisco is in line for bigger fights.

Anuran said if Nashiro isn’t available, he will call out unified WBA and WBC superflyweight champion Vic Darchinyan for a showdown against Francisco.

“That will depend on a lot of things,” said Anuran. “First, Drian has to beat Nu?ez. Second, Nashiro will be ordered to defend his crown next against Hugo Cazares with whom he fought to a draw in his second defense. That will mean delaying Drian’s title shot. And third, Darchinyan must defeat challenger Rodrigo Guerrero this morning (Manila time). This also assumes Nonito Donaire will move up to bantamweight because Drian doesn’t want to be in Nonito’s way.”

Anuran said Francisco has so far logged 80 rounds of sparring and stopped two sparmates.

“Drian is at his peak right now,” continued Anuran. “His right hook and uppercut combination is deadly. That’s what he’s been using to knock out his sparmates. He’s ready to be matched against anybody in his division with Darchinyan and WBO champion Jorge Arce his most wanted opponents.”

Anuran also announced that Francisco has signed a contract to endorse Raimol, the new energized lubricant to be launched this month in the country.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 USA Boxing Elite High Performance Set to Compete at Strandja 2026 Boxing Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria
    , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • SMEP, SAEP round 6 standoff in PTC WED NEMO 4th D’ Engineers Chess Cup
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • Late Valentine’s gift for Lover Boy
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • “Prince” Albert Pagara Heads to Perth, Australia, for WBC Australasia Title Fight
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.