Philippines, 19 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN MEXICO: FILIPINO CHALLENGER TOLD TO STAY IN FRONT OF WBC CHAMP


PhilBoxing.com




The trainer of world championship mandatory challenger Juanito Rubillar (46-10, 22 KOs) has cautioned compatriot Sonny Boy Jaro (28-6, 17 KOs) to always stay in front of Edgar Sosa (32-5, 17 KOs) when the two clash for Sosa's World Boxing Council (WBC) light flyweight title for 12 rounds at the Arena Mexico in Mexico City on September 27.

"Kailangan focus sia palagi at huwag niyang iwanan kasi mabilis ang reflection ni Sosa," warned Ruel Morata, one of the fast-raising trainers in the country today.

Morata, who worked in the corner of Rubillar when Rubillar humbled former world champion Omar Nino (25-3, 11 KOs) in a 12-round world title fight eliminator in Mexico last June, said if Sosa will stay away from Jaro, the Filipino challenger should pursue the Mexican champion aggressively "dahil magaling pumuwesto yun; naka balanse palagi."

"Kailangan huwag siyang magbigay ng respeto kay Sosa," added Morata, one of the most trusted trainers of international promoter and manager Gabriel "Bebot" Elorde Jr.

Morata is also expected to act as cornerman together with Elorde when Rubillar fights the winner of the Sosa-Jaro duel. The WBC had earlier ordered Sosa to defend his title aganst Rubillar, the world's top-ranked light flyweight contender. Somewhere along the way, however, it was Jaro's name that surfaced as next challenger.

Aljoe Jaro, the boxer's manager and cousin, said it was WBC executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman, son of WBC president Jose, who gave his boxer the title shot. The father Sulaiman described Sonny Boy Jaro as "a dangerous opponent" for Sosa, who won the title by edging Filipino-Hawaiian Brian Villoria.
If Sosa will repluse Jaro and will face the 31-year-old Rubillar next, Morata said he is confident that his ward will beat Sosa although he is not sure if it will be by knockout or decision.

Meanwhile, Aljoe Jaro said they will go for a knockout win to ensure that when they go home, the WBC 108-lb belt is strapped around Sonny Boy's waist, although he was assured by Sulaiman that the WBC would appoint three neutral judges.

They plan to pressure Sosa from the opening bell to force him to fire back and engage the Filipino visitor in a toe-to-toe brawl. "We will limit his (Sosa's) running. We will go to Mexico to fight, not to chase someone," said the manager who once held former world champion Jose Luis Bueno in a draw when he was still a prizefighter in Japan.

Aljoe Jaro revealed that his boy is ferocious in inside fighting thus they are making sure he has enough gas in his arsenal. Fellow manager and associate Chad Colocado said Sonny Boy could last even for 15 rounds.

"I have seen him train in Binanongan (a town in Rizal province) and it seems he is preparing for a marathon. I think he is prepared even if the fight will last for 15 rounds," Colocado said.

"We won't reveal our weapon as of now, but Sonny Boy is ready to rumble," said Aljoe Jaro, whose other protege, North American Boxing Federation (NABF) super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion (26-1, 15 KOs), will also fight Giovannie Caro (11-4, 9 KOs, 2 draws) on the same day in a 10-round non-title tiff in San Diego, California.

Top photo: Morata and David Diaz in Santa Monica, California. Photo by Alex P. Vidal.



Click here to view a list of other articles written by Alex P. Vidal.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Team Sugar Rush wins Sir Jessie Villasin Chess Team 2X2 Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Paolo Gallito, 6 others in the last 16 in Malaysia
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis Returns Home With Decision Win Over Nahir Albright
    , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Heartbreak in Johannesburg: Jerusalem Dethroned by Kuse in Bloody Rematch
    By Dong Secuya, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Roy Jones Jr. Blasts Dana White and Zuffa’s Push to Reshape Boxing During Explosive “Boxing Primetime Show” Interview
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Weigh-In Results: Keyshawn Davis vs. Nahir Albright II
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Jerusalem vs. Kuse II: High-Stakes Rematch in Johannesburg
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Hometown Hero Edward Vazquez Returns to ProBoxTV on Friday, June 5, to Face Mexico’s Daniel Lugo in the 10-round Main Event of ‘The Contender Series’ at University of Texas in Arlington
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • AQ Prime to host 2 big tournaments
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • June 6 announcement: Padley-Fiaz to Main Event in Sheffield after Galal Yafai setback
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Press Conference Notes: Keyshawn Davis Ready to Settle Unfinished Business in Saturday’s Hometown Rematch against Nahir Albright LIVE on DAZN
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Eros Correa vs. Anthony Garnica, Set to Clash for WBC Continental Americas Title.
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Eman-Perez rematch now title-match
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Montreal Experience greatly benefited Undefeated Kansas boxing prospect Marco Romero for this Saturday’s fight
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • ”MERCILESS” RAY MERCER TO ATTEND 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • IIEE Metro Central dominates the IIEE National Midyear Convention sportsfest
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Ancajas Boxing team to join Koronadal slugfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 15 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.