Philippines, 01 Dec 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


No-contest ruling awaited


PhilBoxing.com





The word is the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) will declare the recent WBO superfeatherweight title fight between defending champion Emanuel Navarrete and Charly Suarez a no-contest as if it never happened. The ruling will nullify the unanimous technical decision that was previously announced to favor Navarrete. It will also cleanse Suarez’ record from the stain of a loss. CSAC has set a hearing on June 2 to decide on the case.

In a conversation the other day on SEAG Live, Suarez said his dream is to retire undefeated so if ever, the ruling will keep it alive. CSAC has jurisdiction over the fight which was held in San Diego last Saturday and whatever it decides, the WBO will abide by. If it’s declared a no-contest, the WBO will order an immediate rematch. Suarez’ coach Delfin Boholst said Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, vice president of operations Carl Moretti and matchmaker Brad Goodman have all given their assurance of arranging a rematch.

Suarez said he leaves it all up to God. Although he felt strongly that a punch, not a headbutt, caused the cut on Navarrete’s forehead prompting the stoppage, Suarez never complained. He accepted the decision like a man. Instead of ranting and raving, Suarez chose to be silent, respectful and humble. In sports where trash-talking and abusive language now seem to be the norm, Suarez’ attitude is a throw-back to when athletes stood proudly as honorable competitors. He’s a class act.

To be fair, Suarez should be awarded the WBO belt because enhanced video replays confirmed that Navarrete was cut by a left straight. The supposed headbutt was a slight brush, nothing impactful as to cause a wound that went two layers of skin deep. Navarrete obviously playacted to make it appear he was severely butted. If referee Edward Collantes ruled that the cut was opened by a punch, Suarez would’ve won by TKO. A formal appeal by the Suarez camp to overturn Navarrete's win has been submitted to CSAC.

The complication of a no-contest lies in how bets are settled. If a no-contest is declared for the Navarrete-Suarez fight, a bettor should get his or her money back on a wager for the challenger because the loss would’ve been nullified. But if a bettor was already paid for a wager on a Navarrete win, it’s not likely to be returned.

If a bout is waved off because a fighter is ruled unfit to continue because of a wound inflicted by an accidental headbutt within the first four rounds, it’s declared a no-contest. An example of a no-contest was when Mike Tyson fought Orlin Norris in 1999. Tyson decked Norris after the bell rang ending the first round. Norris injured his knee in the fall and was unable to continue so the fight was declared a no-contest. In 1998, Bernard Hopkins was accidentally pushed out of the ring by referee Mills Lane while trying to break up a clinch[QH1] with Robert Allen in the fourth round. Hopkins was injured and the fight was declared a no-contest. In 2011, CSAC overruled referee Pat Russell’s decision to award Chad Dawson a TKO win over Hopkins and declared a no-contest when it affirmed an accidental stumble caused the stoppage due to a shoulder injury. It’s now up to CSAC to make the right call and erase Suarez’ undeserved loss.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • LAZARO LORENZANA CAPTURES WBC REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE OVER LUIS ARIAS
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • Paras fails bid for IBO world super fly title
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM FIGHT NIGHT RESULTS: BEN WHITTAKER CELEBRATES A WINNING START WITH MATCHROOM BOXING
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • ThunderDome 52 Results: Clarke Defeats Seidu by Controversial Split Decision
    , Sun, 30 Nov 2025
  • OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
    , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • 7-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Petecio in, Paalam out
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Takuma Inoue World Champion Again; Beats Nasukawa for Vacant WBC Belt
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • OLYMPIC BOXING 3: 1920 OLYMPIC GAMES AT ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    By Maloney L. Samaco, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Badenas TKO’s Saknosiwi in 10th round
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Las Vegas & California Amateurs Shine in a Powerful Fall Rumble Weekend Followed by a Heartfelt Turkey Drive for Local Families
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Santa Run Davao on December 14 at NCCC Mall Victoria Plaza
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.