Pablito Canada and Boxing Fans Hope and Pray that GAB Would Grant Him Permission for His 4 Rounder Fight in Korea
Wed, 30 Nov 2022
Full of positivism, Filipino boxer Pablito Canada, his beloved family and boxing fans in Mindanao and elsewhere in our nation pray and hope that the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) would green light Pablito Canada Jr. for his 4-round match in Korea, an exciting appointment he feels confident in doing, a fight in his heart wishes to fulfill.
So far, despite complying with GAB's guidelines for a Pinoy boxer to fight abroad, the government organization GAB has said NO to Pablito.
Therefore, what the brave, well-trained, positive Pablito hopes to achieve is GAB's reconsideration from their initial harsh NO, into a beautiful, positive, kind, trustworthy and understanding YES, and there are reasons for that.
Understandably, in first instance the GAB refused to grant Pablito permission, most likely based on Pablito's non-stellar record of 8 wins, 5 draws, 21 defeats. At first glance, that is 100% understandable.
However, there are some valid reasons for a kind reconsideration:
1. At 28 years of age, Pablito is still a young boxer. He is an active boxer. A boxer who trains. A boxer in weight. Not an inactive, semi-retired patsy. Pablito is not a hopeless old journeyman at all. Pablito is healthy. Pablito has no medical issues whatsoever. He is not coming from any loss by stoppage. His mind and his body are strong as an oak. Plus, he is resilient, tough, and never gives up on negative things thrown at him, just as a carabao.
2. Pablito is a young man of faith in God who loves his family and knows the risks and rewards of a boxing match. His attitude in life is mature. Now he is not old. But is not a little kid. Pablito is young man, willingly and happily taking part in boxing matches, and why? Because it is the sport that he loves, same as all of us. He would never think about taking part in that 4 rounder in Korea if he thinks he could not do it. Because his health goes first and he has a lady and have a family who love him.
3. As a bread earner, Pablito is wanting that the nice purse (money), that he could earn in Korea would provide his beloved family, his dear lady and all the ones he love with a wonderful Christmas. He wants a Christmas with happiness, joy, family union, and food.
Pablito Canada's fight in South Korea has all been set.
Pablito is not a rich man. If he does not do something to provide money for a Christmas for his lady and his loved ones, will GAB provide? Would GAB provide money for food, and for lovely, blessed Christmas for Pablito's family? Fans know the answer to that. Yes, boxer Pablito the one who needs to work.
GAB cutting Pablito's means to earn a rightful living seems fair? One thing is to protect boxers, Pablito thinks. Another thing is to deny them work abroad.
4. Pablito is not boxing Mike Tyson in Korea. He will box against a normal boxer. He would be boxing four rounds against a boxer whom the more experienced Pablito deeply feels that he can take on, no problem. Pablito is scheduled for 4 rounds against Jong seong Kang (15-1-2, 8 KO's) who comes from losing in his last fight. That is why, probably, Jonng wants an easy 4 rounder against Pablito. But he could find the surprise of his life! Because, in fact, Pablito has fought good boxers and is not afraid of anyone.
5. The Korean boxing authorities are well aware of the situation. In fact, the Koreans boxing Association (IBA) are also kindly asking for GAB to say yes to Pablito's trip. They would be more than willing to stop the contest should any of the boxers get in trouble. They know the record of Pablito and would not take any chances.
5. Pablito has been training hard for this four-rounder at Manny Pacquiao's boxing gym in Gensan. Pablito has done sparring, has eaten well, has done the mitts. Pablito has skipped the rope and shared with fellow boxers for three weeks, feeling great for four rounds, and now this? Not going to Korea would be a horribly sayang. Pablito got encouraging words from all in Manny Pacquiao's Gym. The beloved Pacman even wished Pablito well. Now this?
Pablito Canada (L) poses with Manny Pacquiao at Pacquiao's camp in Gensan.
In fact, Pacquiao himself will be in Korea on that show. Casimero too. Why not Pablito in his four rounder?
6. That 4-rounder of Pablito is the show's main event and it is on December 11. If GAB allows the fight to go on, it would be great. Pablito would be protected. Four rounders Pablito can do. In fact, his last fight was a win.
7. The Korean Boxing Association, fully aware of each detail, want GAB's cooperation with a yes. Why being overly strict and hard and heartless? Their negativity could hurt Korean interest in inviting more Filipino boxers to fight in their beautiful country. Instead, Koreans might bring boxers from Thailand or other countries. Hope GAB would cooperate in a friendly, yet professional manner for the benefit of Pablito and the Filipino-Korean boxing relations.
8. Plane tickets have already been issued. Promotion in Korea is underway for Pablito's fight against the local boy. The Korean Embassy expects GAB's letter of approval for Pablito's visa. Visa processing takes 5 days. There is still time, but this hassle affects Pablito's calmness and state of mind. Because he should be focused on his 4 rounder, not in this situation. Correct?
9. In his last fight last August 2022, Pablito knocked out previously undefeated Michael Casama (8-0) in six rounds of action, Pablito looking good. That fight was approved by GAB.
Prior to that in June 2022, Pablito fought undefeated Ian Sampa (5-0) an eight rounder that he was winning. But in the 8th round before the final bell there was a headbutt. The referee considered that it was intentional, so Pablito got disqualified. Before the DQ, Pablito was looking good, strong and fast, although probably careless with the head. He should work that point with his coach at Manny Pacquiao Gym. Correct head movement is a factor in boxing that Pablito should improve.
Even before that, in March 2022, Pablito scored a draw against experienced Richard Pumicpic. That draw was, again, because of headbutt. According to official report, Pablito's fight was stopped caused by an accidental headbutt in Round 2. Pablito's aggressiveness (that is his style), make this thing to happen. Hopefully not in Korea!
10. Pablito has experiece. He can handle a 4 rounder in Korea against any normal boxer. In fact, Pablito has battled two times in Japan. Once in 2017 and the other one in 2019. Pablito fought good in Japan, being gallant, good sportsman and respectful and brave, losing both times by points, and that is boxing. That is why the Koreans want him. Let's hope GAB will soften their heart and will allow the show to go on so that Pablito could do his 4 rounds in Korea, earning decent money for a blessed Christmas at home, sweet home.
You remember Rocky Balboa? That is the inspiring character from the acclaimed movie Rocky, based on a true story. It tells us about a supposedly low-class boxer taking his chance against a tougher great champion. Rocky fought and did an awesome fight, inspiring the world. That is the spirit of boxing! Not being afraid of challenges, being brave, loving a woman or whoever, loving family and boxing with passion and honor. That is what Rocky did. That is what Pablito wants to do.
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org