Philippines, 22 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


IOC axe leaves out Suarez


PhilBoxing.com



Charly Suarez.

Three-time SEA Games gold medalist Charly Suarez’ hopes for a return to the Olympics were dashed when the IOC Boxing Task Force decided last Monday to cancel the world qualifying tournament which would’ve been held in Paris in June. Suarez, 32, competed at the 2016 Rio Olympics where he lost a split decision to England’s Joe Cordina in his Summer Games debut and had dreamed of a comeback to erase the bitter memory of the hairline defeat.

Since Rio, Suarez turned pro and has compiled a 5-0 record, with 4 KOs. Last week, he outpointed Jonjon Estrada in his first 10-rounder, scoring a shutout in two of the three judges cards, in Paniqui, Tarlac. His plan was to join the ABAP pool now training at the Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba then proceed with the team to camp in Thailand.

Under the new Olympic weight classifications, Suarez had a choice of fighting as a featherweight (57 kg or 125.7 pounds) or lightweight (63 kg or 138.9). Against Estrada, Suarez scaled 131 pounds and in his five pro bouts, he has never weighed over 132. When he knocked out Virgil Puton in the first round in his third fight, Suarez tipped in at 128 1/2. The Olympic lightweight limit of 63 kg would’ve been too heavy and Suarez said bringing down his weight to 57 kg was doable. In the featherweight class, Suarez had to outshine Junilardo Ogayre, Mario Fernandez and Ian Clark Bautista to make it back to the Philippine team. But that became academic with the world qualifying tournament’s cancellation.

Bautista is the country’s highest-ranked featherweight, meaning if ever the Philippines is awarded a ticket in this division, he would take it, not Suarez, not anyone else. Without the world qualifying tournament, the highest-ranked available Asian will be given a slot in Tokyo. Bautista is ranked No. 17 but two Asians, who haven’t qualified, are higher in the standings so the only way he goes to the Olympics is if No. 7 Erdenebat Tsendbaatar of Mongolia and No. 14 Kavinder Bisht of India back out. That’s a slim chance. However, two Philippine boxers are the highest-ranked Asians not yet qualified in their divisions so it’s likely No. 12 men’s flyweight Carlo Paalam and No. 5 women’s featherweight Nesthy Petecio will advance.

ABAP secretary-general Ed Picson said the other day it's not sure if Paalam and Petecio will make it to Tokyo as the IOC will still announce quota places for Asia with recalculated rankings next month. ABAP is now processing the travel documents of 11 to 12 fighters to leave for training in Thailand. Picson said the door is open for Suarez and Olympic qualifier Eumir Marcial, who’s in Los Angeles, to join the group. The country’s other Olympic qualifier Irish Magno is in the traveling party. It will be preparation for the Olympics and the Hanoi SEA Games late this year. For Suarez, the training will be for a fourth SEA Games gold medal. Picson said the Calamba camp has been smooth sailing. One of the boxers tested positive for COVID upon entering, was treated and quarantined at ULTRA and is now back in Calamba.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 USA Boxing Elite High Performance Set to Compete at Strandja 2026 Boxing Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria
    , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • SMEP, SAEP round 6 standoff in PTC WED NEMO 4th D’ Engineers Chess Cup
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • Late Valentine’s gift for Lover Boy
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • “Prince” Albert Pagara Heads to Perth, Australia, for WBC Australasia Title Fight
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.