Philippines, 20 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


FIAZ: TALK IS CHEAP, I’LL MAKE HIM PAY

PhilBoxing.com





Oldham prospect fires warning to Baker ahead of grudge match

Aqib Fiaz is determined to put his Matchroom Fight Camp disappointment behind him by beating Birmingham’s Kane Baker when they finally meet on the Joshua Buatsi vs. Marko Calic undercard on Sunday October 4, live on Sky Sports in the UK and DAZN in US.

The Oldham prospect (5-0) was originally scheduled to face former Midlands Area Champion Baker on the Terri Harper vs. Natasha Jonas World Title undercard on Friday August 7, but was forced to withdraw on the eve of the fight after falling ill, leaving Baker bitterly disappointed.

In an emotional interview in the hotel ‘bubble’, Baker, who was looking to inflict a first career defeat on 21-year-old Fiaz, accused his opponent of feigning illness to get out of their eight round showdown, but the Jamie Moore-trained talent insists his illness was genuine.

“I woke up on the morning of the weigh-in and I was feeling a bit sick and a bit light-headed,” said Fiaz. “Every fighter will say ‘yeah you do feel like that on the morning of a weigh-in’. I thought it was the weight. Jamie told me that I wasn’t right, and I told him I was fine, and to just give me until after the weigh-in. I weighed-in, rehydrated and ate again, but I couldn’t get myself right.

“I don’t know what it was, I was feeling sick and light-headed. Jamie could see it, there was no hiding it. I tried my best, but I’m glad that my team made the decision that they did to protect my health. Now we’ve got another chance to get the fight on and it’s bigger and better this time. Like everyone else, Steve Wood was messaging me to see if I was alright. My first reply to him while I was sitting in A and E was ‘get the fight on again’.

“Even when I was sat in the room with the doctor, I was asking him if I could fight on the next Fight Camp event the following week. There was all sorts going through my mind in hospital, I was scared. I’m only young, I thought it would be devastating for my career this early on. If we had chose to fight it could have been. I’m glad we made the decision that we did. I’ve got to thank Jamie and Nigel for making that call.”

Fiaz inked promotional terms with Eddie Hearn following a shutout points win over Dean Jones on the Scott Quigg vs. Jono Carroll undercard in Manchester earlier this year, and will now have a second chance to impress his new promoter when he clashes with Baker in what has turned into a bitter grudge match.

“It was impossible not to watch the fallout,” added Fiaz. “It is what it is. I’m a young man, 21-years-old and social media is a big part of our lives, not just ours but everyone’s. It was impossible to stay off it. I’ve seen everything and yeah, he was talking a lot but talk is cheap. On the night, we’ll see. He’s emotionally involved and when you’re emotionally involved you make mistakes, and when he makes them mistakes I’ll make him pay.

“At the end of the day all of the build-up and everything can be big, he can go on like he’s going to do this and do that, but the fight is still the same. He’s still the same man with the two hands that he had before. I’m still the same man too. He’s got to get past my two hands and I don’t think he will. He can talk all he wants, like I said, talk is cheap. Fighters win fights, not talking. Not weight, not tattoos, not acting big in front of a camera.

“Looking back, the ‘bubble’ experience was strange. When I was bumping into Kane around the hotel, he was fine, but when I watched his interviews back, he was acting the big man in front of the camera. When I was in there I quite enjoyed the peace and quiet. I was able to concentrate on the job at hand.

“When the fight was first mentioned we had 5 weeks’ notice. Now it has turned in to a ten- or eleven-week camp. It’s perfect for both of us really. I’ve seen him crying, bitching and complaining, saying I had more notice than him – which I didn’t. We’ve had the same time as him to prepare. Now we’ve had a proper training camp. On the night, he’ll have no excuses when I beat him.”

Fiaz vs. Baker is part of a big night of action that sees Croydon’s rising Light-Heavyweight star Joshua Buatsi (12-0, 10 KOs) defend his WBA International Title against undefeated Croat Marko Calic (11-0, 6 KOs), Chantelle Cameron (12-0, 7 KOs) land a World Title shot in her very first bout as a Matchroom fighter as she takes on Brazil’s Adriana Dos Santos Araujo (6-0, 1 KO) for the vacant WBC Super-Lightweight crown, ‘The Savage’ Alen Babic (4-0, 4 KOs) returns to the UK looking to impress again as he locks horns with Irishman Niall Kennedy (13-1-1, 8 KOs) in an eight round Heavyweight contest, Luton’s Linus Udofia (15-0, 7 KOs) puts his English Middleweight Title on the line for the first time against Dillian Whyte-backed Brixton man John Harding Jr (8-1-1, 2 KOs) and recent Matchroom signing John Hedges make his pro debut at Super-Middleweight.




Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 16 FEBRUARY 2026: Ajagba, Dzambekov, Ruiz Register Stoppage Wins in Zuffa Event
    By Eric Armit, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Mexican government and WBC join forces to create mega-project “Boxing for Peace”
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • All eyes on GM Johan-Sebastian Christiansen in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • WBC Champion Mario “El Azteca” Barrios Locked in for Ryan Garcia Showdown February 21 at T-Mobile Arena
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Dana White mocks traditional boxing promoters: "No contest, it's like hitting babies"
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • LEIGH WOOD OUTLINES PLAN OF ATTACK FOR SOLD OUT REMATCH AGAINST JOSH WARRINGTON
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Cain Velasquez released from a California State prison
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Patrick Rivera wins Pacman's Cue Club 10-Ball Tournament; pockets P100,000
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Undefeated Brooklyn heavyweight Pryce Taylor Fighting again in Detroit this Sunday on Claressa Shields’ card
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES Gabriela Tellez Ready to Make a Statement This Friday in Orlando
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 16 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.