Philippines, 21 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Ex Champion Sees US Fight Between Casimero and Inoue Pushing Through


PhilBoxing.com



Morris East.

Former WBA junior welterweight champion Morris East has reacted to my earlier story on the much awaited fight between Johnriel Casimero and Naoya Inoue being left hanging with Bob Arum's focus back on Terrence Crawford.

East, a former FilAm who has moved to the US and now a licensed boxing manager based in Las Vegas, said he sees the fight eventually happening as the contracts have been signed by the parties for the event originally set April 25, 2020 but was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

He said: "Somehow something should happen because they signed (the contracts) before the April 25 fight but due to this medical crisis everything went haywire. But I think this will happen as right now (US boxing) is on the 1st phase of events with no crowd but minimum crew and media and main characters involved. So far it's been successful, phase 2 should follow shortly targeting a real venue with actual audience but with social distancing of course and we're all hoping since the people want to see those two warriors fight."

However, they can push the fight through, he said with a caveat: "I'm not backing down either since my lawsuit is in full gear... nowhere to go but forward," East said.

According to East, a lawsuit has been filed in the Clark County Court in Las Vegas for breach of contract against Casimero and legal damage and interference claims involving Sean Gibbons and MP Promotions owned by world champion, Senator Manny Pacquiao and a few others.

East claimed and showed proof by way of emailed copy of contract that Casimero entered into and signed on February 8, 2018 an Exclusive Worldwide Boxing Management contract with East where he was bound to pay the latter 33-1/3 percent of all promotional revenues in fights he is engaged in as East's due manager's cut and to reimburse expenses incurred in negotiating and securing fights for him and in his training.

He said Casimero contacted him sometime in late 2017 when the former two division world champion was down on the dumps, his career going nowhere after he was defeated earlier by Jonas Sultan ruining his chance to challenge IBF super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas. Casimero was also in poor condition, his weight ballooning to more than 130 lbs at that time.

East said he helped Casimero get to the US and took care of him during his stay covering a few weeks.

However, just as East got his first promotional contract from a US promoter for Casimero, the latter suddenly left to fight in Mexico and went back to the Philippines.

East said he exerted efforts to contact and communicate with Casimero but got no reply.

He learned later from the news emanating from the Philippines that Casimero has latched up with Gibbons and MP Promotions and already fought a few fights.

East said he has sent notices to Gibbons and MP Promotions to lay off Casimero as he is under contract with him but to no avail.

Casimero has fought four more bouts since then including his WBO bantamweight title winning fight against South African Zolani Tete last November in the UK.

East said his lawsuit is active and has been filed but due to the pandemic the process was altered and just delayed.

Without saying it directly, East hinted he may not stand in the way of the Inoue-Casimero fight but warned that he will pursue his just due in court against all concerned, most of all Casimero.

The author Teodoro Medina Reynoso is a veteran boxing radio talk show host living in the Philippines. He can be reached at teddyreynoso@yahoo.com and by phone 09215309477.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Teodoro Medina Reynoso.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Team Sugar Rush wins Sir Jessie Villasin Chess Team 2X2 Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Paolo Gallito, 6 others in the last 16 in Malaysia
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis Returns Home With Decision Win Over Nahir Albright
    , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Heartbreak in Johannesburg: Jerusalem Dethroned by Kuse in Bloody Rematch
    By Dong Secuya, , Sun, 17 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.