Philippines, 20 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Sultan home empty-handed


PhilBoxing.com



Jonas Sultan (C) with trainers Edmund Villamor (L) and Edito Villamor.

It’s been three weeks since Jonas Sultan returned home from South Africa where he was booked to battle Ricardo Malajika in a 10-round superflyweight fight at the Emperor’s Palace, Kempton Park, last March 21.

Sultan and trainer Edmund Villamor left Cebu to travel to Johannesburg via Singapore last March 14. When they arrived, Golden Gloves Promotions announced the fight was cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak. Sultan and Villamor were told to leave the day after they flew in without getting paid 10 percent of the fighter’s $8,000 purse as stipulated in his contract if the bout is called off.

“Na-cancel ang laban ni Jonas sa South Africa,” said ALA Boxing head trainer Edito Villamor. “Umuwi sila, one day lang doon at pagdating, kinabukasan pinauwi. Hindi sila nabayaran.” GAB chairman Baham Mitra confirmed that Sultan was not paid a single cent. Sultan himself messaged Mitra saying he didn’t receive any amount, not even for training expenses.

“They weren’t given anything,” said Mitra who promised to get to the bottom of the issue because it’s clear in the contract submitted to GAB that if the fight is postponed, 10 percent of the purse will be given to Sultan. Under clause 5-D, the contract stated that “Should the promoter … postpone the tournament or the said contest upon reasonable grounds, he or she may do so, provided he or she pays the boxer 10 percent of the total amount agreed as the purse money between the promoter and boxer.”

The contract further mentioned that “in the event of the promoter being prevented from promoting the said contest by reason of an act of God or by the order of the South African Police or as a result of mechanical or technical failure at the venue which precluded the tournament from proceeding or by Boxing South Africa, then and in such event, the promoter shall not be obliged to pay the contracted sum to the boxer but shall pay the stipulated fee in clause 5-D.” Sultan should’ve been paid $800 or 10 percent of his purse of $8,000 by the promoter for the postponement. Mitra said he would e-mail the South African promoter for an explanation.

Edito Villamor said the 10 percent or the equivalent of about P40,000 should have been given. “Nag-follow-up si (matchmaker) Bebot Elorde sa promoter last week,” said Villamor. “Hanggang ngayon, wala pa raw nabigay. Follow-up niya ulit kahapon. Hintay namin sagot ng promoter.”

Lawyer Rodney Berman, 77, heads Golden Gloves Promotions which staged its first boxing card in 1977 and its first world title fight in 1982. The contract for the South Africa fight was signed by Sultan last Oct. 8 and submitted to GAB. The contract has the Boxing South Africa letterhead but no promoter’s signature. It also specified that Sultan’s fight was a non-title bout. In a Golden Gloves poster announcing the fight, it was billed as an IBF Intercontinental superflyweight championship match.

The fight would’ve been Sultan’s third in South Africa after he halted Makazole Tete in the second round in 2016 and bowed to Athenkosi Dumezweni on a 12-round decision for the vacant WBC Silver superflyweight crown last year. Sultan’s record is 16-5, with 10 KOs. Malajika boasts a 6-0 record, with 5 KOs, and it would’ve been his seventh straight outing at Emperor’s Palace.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 16 FEBRUARY 2026: Ajagba, Dzambekov, Ruiz Register Stoppage Wins in Zuffa Event
    By Eric Armit, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Mexican government and WBC join forces to create mega-project “Boxing for Peace”
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • All eyes on GM Johan-Sebastian Christiansen in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • WBC Champion Mario “El Azteca” Barrios Locked in for Ryan Garcia Showdown February 21 at T-Mobile Arena
    , Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Dana White mocks traditional boxing promoters: "No contest, it's like hitting babies"
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Tue, 17 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.