Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Mexicans, Aussie in line to face Jerwin


PhilBoxing.com





Referee Wayne Hedgpeth raises Ancajas’ arm after he stopped Miguel Gonzalez in Mexico last month.
It will be a busy new year for Jerwin Ancajas as prospective challengers are lining up to challenge the IBF superflyweight champion who has so far made eight successful title defenses since wresting the crown from Puerto Rico’s McJoe Arroyo in 2016.

Ancajas, 28, has repeatedly mentioned his priority is to battle WBC counterpart Juan Francisco Estrada in a unification showdown but the Mexican may not be too keen on facing the Panabo, Davao del Norte fighter. Besides, Estrada has serious hand issues. In 2015, he underwent surgery to repair damage in his right hand and was sidelined for nearly a year. Estrada has twice postponed a duel with WBA superflyweight ruler Khalid Yafai of England because of “discomfort” in his hand. They were supposed to slug it out last Dec. 13 then the fight was moved to Jan. 31 but that has also been postponed.

IBF No. 8 contender Israel Gonzalez, whom Ancajas stopped in his fourth title defense in Corpus Christi in 2018, loomed as the next challenger after defeating No. 5 Sho Ishida on a split 12-round decision in Osaka last Dec. 28. The bout was billed as an IBF eliminator to determine Ancajas’ mandatory challenger since no fighter is rated No. 1 or No. 2. Romania’s Alexandru Marin, 27, is the highest ranked contender at No. 3 but backed out of fighting Ancajas last year. Filipino Donnie Nietes is No. 4 but it’s not likely he’ll challenge his countryman. Australian Andrew Moloney is No. 6 but wants to tangle with Yafai instead.

Mexican Jonathan (Titan) Rodriguez, who was supposed to fight Ancajas last November until visa issues intervened, is also in the queue as challenger. Rodriguez, 24, boasts a 21-1 record, with 15 KOs and is coming off a knockout win over Felipe Orucuta who underwent brain surgery after the bout and was hospitalized for two months.

For the moment, Gonzalez appears to be leading the race in finding Ancajas’ next challenger. Since losing to Ancajas, the 23-year-old Mexican has posted a 4-1 record, losing only to Yafai, to raise his mark to 25-3, with 11 KOs. His burning ambition is to avenge the loss to Ancajas.

Moloney, 28, is promoted by Bob Arum’s Top Rank which also handles Ancajas so it’s a natural for the fighters to meet. It was recently reported that Top Rank plans to promote an Ancajas defense against Moloney in Australia but MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons said if the fight pushes through, it will be in the US. “Jerwin would love to fight Moloney any time and it would be in the US,” said Gibbons. “But Moloney is waiting on Yafai and doesn’t want Jerwin yet.”

Moloney, nicknamed The Monster, has a 21-0 record, with 14 KOs. His victims include Chile’s Miguel Gonzalez, whom Ancajas demolished in Mexico last month, and 11 Filipinos, including Richard Claveras, Rene Dacquel, Raymond Tabugon and Renoel Pael.

“I think the way my career has progressed is more like the old-school style,” said Moloney, quoted by James Lupton in Boxing Monthly magazine. “I went from winning the Victorian state title in Australia then won the Australian title then the Commonwealth and the WBA Oceania titles. I progressed up the ranks in the correct order and my career has been guided by my manager Tony Tolj to perfection and we’re at a very exciting stage now where hopefully the next title will be the world title.”


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.