Philippines, 31 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Nothing's impossible, says Elorde


PhilBoxing.com



Juan Miguel Elorde with parents Johnny and Liza.

It?s a tall order facing Juan Miguel Elorde who challenges highly-favored WBO superbantamweight champion Emmanuel Navarrete of Mexico in a scheduled 12-round bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Sept. 14 but the No. 2 contender couldn?t care less about the odds. What he knows is the fight is a chance of a lifetime and nothing?s impossible.

Elorde, 32, was offered the title crack last week and readily accepted. He was booked to stake his WBO Asia Pacific crown against Japan?s Daisuke Sugita on Sept. 21 so training has been on track. His father and trainer Johnny said it?s destiny that the fight is happening, considering the No. 1 contender Marlon Tapales and No. 3 contender Albert Pagara are both Filipinos.

His mother Liza said MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons phoned early morning last week to deliver the news. ?I couldn?t believe it at first,? she said. ?It was 5 a.m. and Sean confirmed the fight. We?re thankful to Sen. Manny (Pacquiao), Sean and the WBO for giving Mig this opportunity. Mig has already been sparring to prepare for Sugita so this means just a one week advance of his fight. Mig doesn?t miss a day in the gym. Even if he has no scheduled fight, he?s in the gym every day.?

Elorde said he?s excited to perform at the big stage. But it?s not his first fight in Las Vegas. In 2011, Elorde lost a four-rounder to tough Texan Jerry Guevara at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. That remains the only stain in his record of 28-1, with 15 KOs. ?Tinakbuhan ako,? recalled Elorde. ?Nanibago at nanggigil ako. But I learned from that lesson. Hindi na ako natalo since then.? Johnny said he couldn?t believe how two of the three judges scored it a shutout, particularly as in one round, Elorde dislodged Guevara?s mouthpiece with a big punch.

There are stark similarities between the fighters. Like Elorde, Navarrete has a 28-1 record but with more knockouts, 24. They?re both lanky----Elorde is 5-8 and Navarrete, 5-7. The difference is the age as Navarrete, 24, is eight years younger.

Elorde said in social media, haters aren?t giving him a chance. ?Mismatch daw,? he said. ?I don?t mind the comments. All I know is I?m training the best I can. I?m out to win. I?m not thinking of losing. Navarrete?s not a one-punch knockout artist. He wears down his opponents until they?re low-bat and ready to go. I?ll be prepared for 12 rounds if ever. He?s a volume puncher with a good right uppercut and a good left jab. I?ll counter and make it a tactical fight. I know I have to be active because Navarrete is very aggressive. Matibay si Navarrete, nakakatanggap but galing lang siya sa laban last week kaya baka hindi pa nakaka-recover ang katawan niya. Maybe burn-out na siya paglaban namin kasi it?s already scheduled next month.?

Johnny said Navarrete fights like former WBF minimumweight champion Ronnie Magramo, the only world champion he?s produced so far. ?Sasagasaan ka ni Navarrete,? he said. ?Susundan ka kahit saan ka pumunta. Alam ni Mig kung anong gagawin niya. Counter, kaunting distansya, jab, combinations, bira sa katawan.?

Elorde plans to land in Los Angeles on Sept. 2 or 3, continue his training, possibly at Marvin Somodio?s Combinations Boxing Academy then arrive in Las Vegas on Sept. 7 or a week before the fight. He?ll be accompanied by chief trainer Toto Laurente. Elorde said making weight won?t be a problem. He?s now walking around at 133 and trimming down to 122 shouldn?t be difficult.

Elorde said he?s never been floored and his hardest fight was his 12-round win by decision over Japan?s Shohei Kawashima at the Okada Hotel last March. ?Hindi consistent ang atake ko kay Kawashima kasi na-injure ang kamay ko but tinyaga ko lang,? he said. ?No excuses. Dapat more aggressive ako at maraming suntok. ?Yan ang gagawin ko kay Navarrete.?

Elorde said he?s drawing inspiration from his late grandfather Gabriel (Flash) Elorde who reigned as world superfeatherweight champion for seven years up to 1967. He plans to watch his grandfather?s biggest fights on video, put himself in his shoes and bring his spirit into the ring against Navarrete.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Pacman sets ‘Thrilla’ commemoration
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Historic win for Paolo Gallito who edges Lee Van Cortez in the finals of the Efren "Bata" Reyes Yalin 10-Ball Championships
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • "The Return" Weights from Detroit
    , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Efren Reyes Yalin 10-Ball Tourney: Corteza Faces Villafuerte in Finals
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 31 Aug 2025
  • Martha Salazar: Stepping Out of Her Own Shadow
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Laurente and Marapu Make Weight for IBF Regional Title; Gaballo Fights Tomorrow in Sanman Boxing Show in Gensan
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • IM Christian Arca sweeps 10-game simultaneous chess in IIEE SMRC in Davao City
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • GOLDEN BOY PRESENTS “I’M SWEET” FEATURING GABRIELA “SWEET POISON” FUNDORA
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya, Bactol, De Barbo, Porres in Action in Highland Show in Thailand, live on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.