Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Rio Revenge: Michael Conlan to face Olympic Nemesis Vladimir Nikitin August 3 in Belfast

PhilBoxing.com





Conlan-Nikitin to stream LIVE in the United States on ESPN+

BELFAST (May 14, 2019) ?Michael ?Mick? Conlan?s amateur career ended in controversy and a pair of middle fingers. At the 2016 Rio Olympics, Conlan appeared to have bested Russian standout Vladimir Nikitin in the 56-kilogram quarterfinals. The judges disagreed, and Conlan responded with a memorable double middle-finger salute.

Almost three years to the day since Conlan flashed those digits, the Olympic rivals will run it back in the paid ranks, this time on Irish soil.

Conlan will face Nikitin in a 10-round featherweight bout Saturday, Aug. 3 in a massive outdoor fight at Falls Park in his home city of Belfast. Conlan-Nikitin will take place as part of the annual F?ile an Phobail, Europe?s largest community festival.

Conlan-Nikitin will stream live in the United States beginning at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT on ESPN+, the leading multi-sport streaming service, on a special international edition of Top Rank on ESPN.

?This is the opportunity for Mick Conlan to right what most observers felt was an injustice,? said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. ?That being said, Nikitin is a real aggressive fighter, and he believes that a victory over Conlan in August would cement the one he was given in the Rio Olympics.?

?I am delighted that I will be fighting Vladimir Nikitin in front of 10,000 fans,? Conlan said. ?This is literally home turf for me and it is absolutely huge. I am West Belfast and Falls Road born and bred so this means everything to me. Vladimir Nikitin and I have unfinished business from the 2016 Olympics, and I can't wait to set the record straight."

?When I turned professional last year, the man I wanted to fight most was Michael Conlan,? Nikitin said. ?Michael has said a lot of things since the Olympics about how he was robbed of a medal. Well, I am coming to his hometown during their biggest festival to show everyone my Olympic victory was not a fluke. This is going to be repeat, not revenge. Conlan will regret pushing for this fight. I beat him twice in the amateurs and will do the same as a pro. It will feel even sweeter to beat him in his hometown. Belfast, here I come!"

?The fight with Vladimir Nikitin has been talked about for a long time now, and MTK Global and Top Rank have worked extremely hard along with F?ile an Phobail to make it happen,? said Jamie Conlan, Professional Development Manager, MTK Global. ?Michael Conlan is coming home for one of the biggest fight nights Belfast will have ever seen.?

Conlan (11-0, 6 KOs) entered the pro ranks as one of Ireland?s most beloved sporting figures, having earned an Olympic bronze medal in 2012 and gold medals at both the European and World Championships in 2015. He was favored to win Olympic gold in 2016, but Nikitin and the judges thwarted those plans. ?The Conlan Revolution? turned pro in front of a sold-out Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden crowd on St. Patrick?s Day in 2017. He won the vacant WBO Intercontinental featherweight belt last December in Manchester, England, besting Jason Cunningham via unanimous decision. In his last bout, in front of a raucous St. Patrick?s Day crowd at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, Conlan defeated Ruben Garcia Hernandez over 10 rounds.

Nikitin (3-0, 0 KOs) did not turn pro immediately following the 2016 Olympics, electing to fight as an amateur throughout 2017. He signed a professional contract in 2018 with Top Rank, in large part because he wanted to face Conlan as a pro. Nikitin?s come-forward style has translated to the pro ranks, as he?s won a trio of clear-cut unanimous decisions. He has fought on the same card as Conlan twice as a professional. The message was clear: Conlan and Nikitin were destined to meet again.

It will finally happen, in front of more than 10,000 of Conlan?s rowdiest supporters. Will it be Rio Revenge or another shining moment for Nikitin?

ESPN+ is the leading direct-to-consumer sports streaming service. Fans can sign up for ESPN+ for just $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year) at www.espnplus.com.

For more information, visit: www.toprank.com, www.espn.com/boxing; Facebook:facebook.com/trboxing; Twitter: twitter.com/trboxing.

Use the hashtags #ConlanNikitin and #TheConlanRevolution to join the conversation on social media.




Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.