Philippines, 21 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


CZAR AMONSOT IS BACK HOME; SET TO TAKE A LONG LAYOFF


PhilBoxing.com



Amonsot teary-eyed during today's presscon in Cebu.

CEBU -- Boholano WBO Asia-Pacific lightweight champ Czar Amonsot has arrived this morning from Las Vegas after a failed bid to wrest the world title from Greek-Australian Michael Katsidis and is set to take a long layoff to heal a head injury he sustained during the fight.

"I thanked the Lord that I got out of this ordeal still intact and I thanked everyone for their support especially to Sir Michael (Aldeguer) and Sir Sammy (Gello-ani) who had treated me more than a boxer and who were always there to support me," Amonsot, flanked by his mother, girlfriend and brother, told the Cebu media and fans at the Krua Thai Restaurant at the Banilad Town Centre, this city. Amonsot had been confined for four days at the Las Vegas' Valley Medical Center before he was allowed to come home.

SUBDURAL HEMATOMA
After the brutal encounter with Katsidis last Saturday night, a fight many boxing scribes described as a candidate for Fight of the Year, Amonsot was advised by the ring physician to take a mandatory medical checkup where it was discovered that he had a tiny blood clot in the tissue covering his brain. The condition is known as 'subdural hematoma' and could be life-threatening in its acute form when blood begins to penetrate the brain area.

Sammy Gello-ani, showing Amonsot's medical journal to the media, narrated that he and Michael Aldeguer were summoned to the hospital where Amonsot was confined and they were told by Dr. Debra Nelson, Amonsot's attending physician, to "pray for a miracle." After four days in the hospital and a series of CT Scans and MRIs, Amonsot was finally released as the tiny blood clot appeared not to advance to the brain area but instead had reduced in size and appeared to be in the healing process.

Dr. Nelson would later comment that "it was a miracle for the blood clot not to penetrate the brain." And she told Amonsot that "you will still be able to fight and become a world champion someday."

LIKE A SCENE FROM A ROCKY MOVIE
While Amonsot was in the ICU being attended to by the Valley medical personnel Saturday night, Katsidis was also in the adjacent cubicle where four nasty cuts in his badly deformed face, were being stitched. Meanwhile, Oscar Larios who lost via 10th round TKO against Japan-based Venezuelan Jorge Linares and light heavyweight Ted Muller who was TKO'd by Librado Andrade in the second round, were also in the house.

"It was like a scene from a Rocky movie," Gello-ani quipped.

Muller was later released that night but Larios was later discovered to be suffering from subdural hematoma just like Amonsot.


Amonsot is flanked by his mother Miguela (L) and girlfriend Kate Valerie Tapere.


Amonsot poses with his mother (L) and girlfriend Kate.


Promoter Sammy Gello-ani reads from a medical journal on Amonsot's condition while Amonsot was confined at the Valley Medical Center in Las Vegas.

All photos by Dong Secuya.

NO SUSPENSION NOTICE
Gello-ani also clarified that they have not received any suspension notice for Amonsot from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) in response to reports that Amonsot was already permanently banned to fight in the U.S. "The Valley Medical Center is set to send a report to NSAC about Amonsot's condition and let's wait if they will issue anything regarding Amonsot's status," Gello-ani said.

LONG LAYOFF
The 21-year-old Amonsot was advised to take a rest for six months to a year to completely heal his injury. Asked if he would fight again, Amonsot said he will follow the doctor's advise to take a rest and if he will be cleared to fight again, he will consult ALA boxing gym owner Antonio L. Aldeguer before making a decision -- before finally adding: "I want revenge."



Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.