Tit for Tat with the "Galaxxy Warrior" Nate Campbell
21 Aug 2008
Avoided like the plague by fighters and managers alike, the often ducked WBO/IBF/WBA lightweight champion of the world's presence in the lightweight division cannot be ignored.
Shortly prior to his much anticipated showdown with Dominican dandy Joan "The Sycuan Warrior" Guzman, the always honest Nate Campbell took the time out to go twelve rounds with 'Tit for Tat' to speak his mind about the possibility of Pacquiao – De La Hoya and Pacquiao – Hatton matchups, corruption in boxing, the powers that be, so-called superfights, and more.
1. You always tell it like it is Nate, that's why boxers and boxing insiders respect you so much. Not only can you fight, but you speak your mind. Briefly, what is the main problem with boxing right now?
Well in my opinion, too much favoritism; the best don't fight the best.
2. How do you suggest it be corrected? And what can the public do to help?
We as fans need to cry out and stand up by not paying for junk (on TV and PPV).
3. No one wanted to fight you and no one wanted to fight Joan Guzman. Do you think anyone would want to fight the winner? Rephrasing it another way, who do you think should fight the winner?
Well, I just think that the winner - me - should get the right to make history and unify the division.
4. You told me you never look ahead of your next fight and you are concentrating strictly on Guzman. But with a win, do you think it will be enough leverage to negotiate a mega fight on a major network with a purse that befits the champion of one of the deepest divisions in boxing? Or will politics and BS still stand in the way of getting Nate Campbell the recognition he deserves?
I just want to fight the best but it should.
5. What do you think of Manny Pacquiao's win over David Diaz earlier this year?
Nothing. David got no love 'til he lost and now (all of a sudden) he was the lightweight king. At least that's how they spin it so Manny looks better.
6. You are one tough guy, Nate. We know you can bang out or box. Without being too revealing, against Guzman, what will your game plan be? What if you fought Manny?
I will do what the fight calls for. I would break Manny.
7. Who do you like Hatton or Manny? How do you think it would play out?
I think the fight falls under. I don't care.
8. What about Oscar or Manny? How do you think that would play out?
It's wrong. Oscar and whoever buys it should be ashamed. It is too unfair an advantage for one fighter; this is why there are weight classes… Sad day in boxing.
9. You and I have talked about how small a role you and Manny play in the greater scheme of things and in boxing in general; that there are many other more important issues in boxing that need to be addressed. How can smaller countries, like the Philippines, avoid some of the pitfalls in boxing you discussed that is currently happening here in the United States?
Don't allow greedy people to corrupt our sport anymore than it already is.
10. Why do people buy into the hype and believe what the networks say about these so called Superfights? Are we, as fans, so gullible?
Because something is better than nothing! LOL.
11. The Philippines has a lot of beautiful beaches. Would you consider coming out here to fight? Maybe taking your wife on vacation here or holding some training camps?
They are nice but I would never train there. I am American and I train here. Vacation maybe, but I doubt it. I am too paranoid with the world climate and I feel safer here.
12. You are smart and articulate. Your writings and arguments are not only entertaining, but coherent and convincing. What last piece of wisdom can you impart on us here on Philboxing?
As fans, let's not be drones to the powers that be. Let's make up our minds and remember fighters fight for us and not we for them. We are the consumer and we make them rich and famous. They owe us the best fights that can be made.
* * *
Well there you have it. The Galaxxy Warrior has spoken. The question is, will the powers that be and the fight fans worldwide take heed and listen?
Note: Floridian sparkplug Nate Campbell will be taking on the Dominican Republic's slickster Joan Guzman on Saturday, September 13th at 9 pm (EST). Tune into Showtime's Championship Boxing Series to find out which "WARrrior" will prevail, "The Sycuan Warrior" or "The Galaxxy Warrior."
Click here for a complete listing of columns by this author.
Click here for a complete listing of this author's articles from different news sources.
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to email@example.com