TIT FOR TAT WITH PAULIE MALIGNAGGI
'A Fight Between the Magic Man and the Pacman the Smarter Fighter Wins'
04 Aug 2008
One of Pro Boxing’s fastest punchers, and talkers, World Champion, Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi takes a moment to sit down with Philboxing to discuss his thoughts on the state of the sub 147 pound divisions in boxing.
1. Sum up Pacquiao – Diaz in one sentence. If any, what is the significance of the result of the fight?
It was a very destructive fight, and the only significance it has is that it proves Manny can beat a decent lightweight. But let's not be quick to jump the gun from Pac’s Success at higher weight classes. Diaz was tailor-made for him.
2. Who is the pound for pound best fighter in the world right now? Does the retirement of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. affect the pound for pound rankings?
Best p4p in my opinion is Manny Pacquiaio or Miguel Cotto (note: this interview was conducted prior to Cotto’s loss to highly regarded, and widely ducked Mexican Antonio Margarito). Floyds retirement does affect the rankings ‘cause when he was still fighting he was still number 1.
3. You are the IBF World Junior Welterweight Champion. David Diaz was unsuccessful in his campaign at that weight class and moved back down to lightweight. How do you think Manny would fare?
I believe Manny is a good fighter, I just believe one can not keep testing nature the way he does. Eventually fighters are going to be just too big no matter how good of a fighter he is.
4. How's your training going for Hatton? One of our common friends, Dimitri, told me that you are enlisting another potential Pacquiao foe, Nate Campbell, in your preparation for Hatton. What does Nate bring to the table in preparing you for Ricky?
We havent started camp for the Hatton fight yet; we will be getting the proper sparring and prepare properly for the fight once camp begins.
5. There is a lot of BS going around so let's just clear things up. Would you take "step-aside" money to allow Manny to face Ricky or does the chance to cement your place in history by beating Hatton take precedence?
Taking step aside money was something I never considered, I have no doubt in my mind I will beat Ricky Hatton so why step aside? Once I’m done with Ricky I will have my eye set on Manny if he's not busy with Oscar. Pacman is simply too small to beat a World Class Junior WelterWeight such as myself .
6. What's your game plan against Hatton? You gave Cotto one of his hardest fights at the Garden in front of his Puerto Rican Day posse. But Hatton brings a hostile soccer-like crowd of Brits wherever he goes. Does the crowd bother you or does it get you even more motivated?
Crowds don’t bother me, I thrive on large noisy crowds. I was born to be a star. I will beat Hatton by ANY means necessary althought my gameplan isn’t set yet; come Nov.22 I will be fully prepared to beat him.
7. Both you and Pacquiao are known for your lightning speed. You seem to have been faster than all of your opponents, just like Manny has. What happens when speed meets speed? If you were you were ever to face the Pacman, what would your game plan be and what would be the outcome?
I have never been in the ring with a fighter faster than I am. I don’t believe that such a fighter exists. When speed meets speed the smarter fighter is the one who pulls it out. So a fight between The Magic Man and The PacMan? The smarter fighter comes out on top. So Naturally it will be Paulie Malignaggi.
8. What is Lou DiBella's immediate and long term plans for you? More importantly, what are Paulie's own goals?
Obviously the short term plan he has is for me to beat Ricky Hatton . My long term plans are to fight and defeat the best fighters of my generation so that when people look back on my career there will be no question marks.
9. You just had your cast taken off yesterday (July 1st). How do you think your hands will hold up against Ricky?
My hands will be fine against Ricky Hatton. I have plenty of time to rehab and train for the fight.
10. Who is your current favorite boxer? Who is your all time favorite boxer?
My current favorite fighter is Paul Malignaggi. I have a few favorites of all time to name a few, Floyd Mayweather, Arturo Gatti, Meldrick Taylor, Pernell Whitaker.
11. Our cutman extraordinaire, Danny Milano, gave you an in-between round buzz. What type of hair style are you sporting for your fight against Hatton?
I haven’t decided on a hairstyle yet but I’ll be sure that I won’t need Danny’s help during the fight. LOL.
12. Give me a 12th round, quick ten second flurry of what makes Paulie, well, Paulie!
My desire to be the best makes me who I am ...
* * *
And there you have it. Always quick with the lip, and even quicker with the hands, “The Magic Man” vanishes into thin air – off I’m sure to begin his training against the formidable Mancurian Hit Man, Ricky Hatton.
Click here for a complete listing of columns by this author.
Click here for a complete listing of this author's articles from different news sources.
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
developed and maintained by dong secuya
... © 2013 philboxing.com.