Philippines, 21 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


BREAKING NEWS: ARUM RESPONDS POSITIVELY TO GOLDEN BOY OFFER FOR A 50-50 DEAL FOR PACQUIAO-BARRERA


PhilBoxing.com


Golden Boy Promotions Chief Operating Officer Richard Schaefer says they would be willing to make the eagerly awaited rematch between Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao and WBC super featherweight champion Marco Antonio Barrera happen. However, Schaefer stressed it would have to be staged under a 50-50 deal.

Top Rank?s Bob Arum responded positively to the offer in a telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today saying ?the one thing that I detect having been in this business so long is that I will give them our offer and they, by telling you that, have expressed the willingness to start negotiating and I think that?s good for everybody. This is a good, favorable sign.? Arum indicated that by making an initial offer he was able to get the negotiations moving forward which was his ?entire purpose.?

The offer made public by Arum at a news conference Thursday was that Top Rank would pay Barrera $2.5 million and a percentage of the pay-per-view income beyond a certain point, to fight Pacquiao in Las Vegas in April. Schaefer said he was surprised by Arum?s actions because ?he doesn?t have options on either Barrera or Pacquiao.? He said Golden Boy who handles Barrera is also confident that the seven fight promotional deal signed with Pacquiao in mid-September will be upheld by the courts.

However, Schaefer indicated that Golden Boy didn?t wish to stand in the way of the fight happening because both boxers as well as the public wanted it. In his counter-offer Schaefer said that in case the 50-50 deal is accepted, Golden Boy would agree to have the promotional profits due to the Pacquiao side in an escrow account until the courts decide on who holds the promotional rights to Pacquiao, Golden Boy or Top Rank.

The Golden Boy CEO said their offer was ?substantially better? than if the fight went to a purse bid which the WBC had suspended until they clarify the legal issues involved, Golden Boy would insist on the standard 75-25 split with the champion, Barrera, getting the lion?s share. Schaefer said they not only have a March 17 date and the MGM Grand as the venue they also have the pay-per-view which he believes is ?substantially better ? than staging the fight on April 28 as suggested by Arum since it would be one week before the May 5 blockbuster showdown between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather.

While Arum was talking about possible negotiations his top-notch defense attorney Daniel Petrocelli who had been hired to handle the lawsuit for tortuous interference filed by Golden Boy against Top Rank informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that Top Rank ?has a very strong case against Golden Boy, so strong that it just filed suit in the Los Angeles federal court against Golden Boy for interfering with Top Rank?s rights.?

Petrocelli first gained prominence when he represented the father of murder victim Ron Goldman in a wrongful death civil suit against O.J, Simpson. Petrocelli successfully argued the case in spite of Simpson?s acquittal in the earlier case when he was accused of murdering his wife and a jury awarded the Goldman family $8.5 million in damages.

The head of Pacquiao?s management team Shelly Finkel, in an overseas telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today said both Arum and Pacquiao were ?totally incorrect? in their claims that his management contract had expired last August and added ?time will show that.? Finklel said Golden Boy?s 50-50 deal was ?a very good offer? even as he insisted ?I care about Manny and feel sorry for him. He does not understand but I wish him all the best. What else can I do?.? Finkel at the same time condemned agent Michael Koncz as ?a horrible person who has nothing and will even sleep on the floor of Manny?s room to get what he wants.?

Koncz on the other hand said ?I don?t care about anybody else. All I care about is what?s best for Manny? even as he took issue with the statements by celebrated trainer Freddie Roach who described Koncz as a ?leech and a degenerate? and accused him of being in Arum?s pocket.

In fairness to Koncz who was suspected of skimming off the purses of Filipino boxers including Bobby Pacquiao whose purse for the Kevin Kelley fight last June was reportedly over $100,000, the Executive Deputy Commissioner and General Counsel of the New York State Athletic Commission Hugo Spindola informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today ?a review of the contracts indicates that Mr. Pacquiao?s purse for that event was $60,500 and the contract was signed by him and his manager Michael Koncz.?


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.