Philippines, 23 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


BANAL VIES FOR THE WBA CROWN JUNE 21 IN CEBU!


PhilBoxing.com




CEBU CITY--Undefeated ALA Boy AJ 'Bazooka' Banal gets his much-cherished dream of bagging a world title when he faces Panamanian Rafael Concepcion on June 21 in Cebu City for the vacant WBA 115-lb throne.

The formal announcement was made today by Michael Aldeguer, Banal's manager, during a lunch press conference with the Cebu media.

Also in attendance were Banal, ALA Promotions officers Dennis Canete and Chad Canares, ALA chief trainer Edito Villamor, and Ms Christine Inocencio-Aldeguer.

"We just got a call this morning from international matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz. He was in a meeting with WBA executive president Gilberto Mendoza Jr and Oliver Gomez, president of the WBA championship committee and they decided to have AJ Banal fight for the vacant title with Rafael Concepcion," announced Aldeguer.

The youthful Aldeguer, however, also indicated that they are also studying the possibility of holding the fight on July 12 or 19. ALA Promotions will negotiate with a leading television outfit to cover the fight, and a final date will be announced in a week's time.

"We would like to especially thank international matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz for making this happen, and for believing in AJ Banal. WBA's Mendoza saw Banal in Sacramento during the World Cup, and he believed the future is with this kid," said Aldeguer.

The two leading venues that will most likely land the bout are the New Cebu Coliseum and the Cebu City Sports Complex, venue of the Fernando Montiel-Z Gorres WBO superfly duel.

Banal (17-0-1, 14 KO's) had earlier asked his handlers to put his fight in a venue that would be accessible to the masses where his relatives, friends and fans can see him fight, instead of an upscale venue like the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel.

The WBA superfly title became vacant after champion Alexander Munoz was deposed yesterday by WBC champ Cristian Mijares. The WBA has installed Mijares as its super champion, thus allowing the 19-year-old Banal to vie for the regular crown.

The 25-year-old Concepcion, a southpaw nicknamed "El Torito", holds the WBA Fedelatin flyweight as well as the WBC FECARBOX superflyweight crowns.

Concepcion is coming off a third-round TKO over Jean Piero Perez last March 27 in a fight that saw him kiss the canvas twice in the second round before stopping Perez.

Banal, who is described by international matchmaker Sampson "Picasso" Lewkowicz as the brightest prospect from the Philippines, is fresh off a fourth-round TKO over the previously unbeaten Caril Herrera of Uruguay in their IBF eliminator fight last month at the famed Araneta Coliseum.

"I am pretty sure that on June 21st I paint a picture very close to the Mona Lisa by AKA Picasso," stated Lewkowicz in his letter to the young Aldeguer. "I would like to take this opportunity to thank your respectable father, you and the entire ALA Boxing family for allowing me to guide AJ Banal and bring great pride to the people of the Philippine Islands," added Lewkowicz, who is credited for bringing Manny Pacquiao to the US when the boxing icon was still an unknown entity.

When asked if he will be ready to fight for the world crown, Banal stated that this is the break he has been waiting for, and he is very confident that his training would take care of everything.

"Sir ALA (Antonio L. Aldeguer) called me to his office this morning and told me that I would be fighting for the world crown. I feel very happy. I'm in condition and I'm happy too," stressed Banal.

The young fighter, however, said he has yet to see a tape of Concepcion's fight.

Edito Villamor, who trains Banal, stated that his ward will be ready for the fight as he has been constantly in the gym.

Those lined up to spar with Banal in preparation for the fight are Z "The Dream" Gorres, Malcolm Tunacao, Gil Melligen and Glenn Masicampo.

Top photo: AJ 'Bazooka' Banal talks to the media this afternoon about his chances against Concepcion on their upcoming title fight next month.


From left, ALA chief trainer Edito Villamor, AJ Banal, ALA President Michael Aldeguer and ALA Vice-President Dennis Canete during this afternoon's presscon at the Patio Isabel in Cebu as they announced Banal's upcoming title fight against Rafael Concepcion of Panama.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Salven L. Lagumbay.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Beat Cavaliers 109-93 Behind Hart’s Postseason Career-High 26 in East Finals
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Rep. Barzaga invited in Bakbakan sa Putatan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Weights Set from San Jose: Amari Jones and Vincenzo Gualtieri Cleared for IBF Middleweight Eliminator
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Gilgeous-Alexander Back to MVP Form as Thunder Top Spurs 122-113 in West Game 2
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • IBA flag raised at the peak of Mount Everest following historic ascent
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Jacamos fights for vacant WBC Youth World junior fly in South Africa on May 23
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Lastimosa to fight for vacant PBF Youth light fly crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Adds Seven Wins on Day Four at 2026 Copa America
    , Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.