Philippines, 04 Apr 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


MASAM SPORTS 57: OSCAR DE LA HOYA SAYS HE WOULD HAVE NEVER ALLOWED CANELO ALVAREZ TO FIGHT DMITRY BIVOL


PhilBoxing.com




Golden Boy Promotions owner Oscar De La Hoya showed disagreement over the fight between undisputed world super middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KOs) and WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol (20-0, 11 KOs).

Canelo vaulted up to 175 pounds to fight in the light heavyweight division but was outclassed in twelve rounds by Bivol, who won by a convincing unanimous decision.

Despite coming into the bout as an underdog, with most odds-makers betting on him a +400 underdog, Bivol won the fight, 115–113 on all three judges' scorecards.

Bivol won the interim WBA light-heavyweight title on May 21, 2016, beating previously undefeated Felix Valera of Dominican Republic by unanimous decision. Bivol dominated Valera, dropping him twice en route to a lopsided win.

With the WBA's regular and super titles being vacated, interim champion Bivol was elevated to full champion.

De La Hoya promoted Canelo for over a decade, but the two sides had a misunderstanding and officially parted ways in November 2020 after Alvarez's lawsuit for breach of contract against Golden Boy and streaming service DAZN was settled.

Canelo signed an 11-fight, $365 million deal in 2018 to fight exclusively on DAZN, but he filed the lawsuit after Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN were unable to agree on his next opponent or purse for the fight.

After the breakup, Canelo has worked with promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom to promote several of his latest fights.

Canelo signed a three-fight contract with Hearn and Matchroom. According BoxingScene, Canelo and his team skipped a two-fight deal with Premier Boxing Champions, which was a fight with Jermall Charlo and the second match would be with David Benavidez at super middleweight or against Errol Spence at a catch-weight.

The first fight promoted by Matchroom was his encounter with Bivol. After the fight, Canelo would then defend his world undisputed super middleweight title against Gennadiy Golovkin in September.

De La Hoya highly criticized the move of Canelo to light heavyweight and face the undefeated Russian boxer Bivol, because the opponent is relatively unknown and fights a very difficult boxing style.

"The fact that the promoter of this event pushed Bivol on Canelo, it was the dumbest move in boxing history … it’s not knowing boxing. It was the stupidest move … whoever allowed Canelo to fight Bivol. I would’ve never allowed Canelo to fight Bivol," De La Hoya told Lance Pugmire of USA Today.

"Look exactly at what happened. Canelo’s on the top of the world. He’s the king. Why fight a guy that if Canelo fights 10 times, he loses 10 times? And he has nothing to gain. Nothing to win. Nobody knew Bivol.

"It’s [the promoter’s] job to guide a fighter’s career. It’s your job to know what’s the best move, to see what the biggest and best fight for his career is. This was a terrible fight for Canelo’s career. Styles make fights. Bivol’s a great fighter. And nobody knew who Bivol was before this fight. People were not even thinking of Bivol."

Bivol, age 31, was born in Tokmak, Kirghiz SSR,
Soviet Union, now Kyrgyzstan. As an amateur, he won a gold medal at the 2013 World Combat Games in the light heavyweight category.

Canelo, also 31 of Guadalajara, Mexico, is very interested in facing Bivol in a rematch, which the Russian champ also agreed. But De La Hoya advises that the next match should be the trilogy with Golovkin.

"We obviously promoted Canelo and were successful. The next move, if I were his promoter, is to go back to 168 where you’re the champion, have GGG move up to 168, knock him out and be on top of the world again," De La Hoya said.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    , Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Tellez Sisters Reina and Gabriela Sign with Boxlab Promotions
    , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Arena Grand Master Mohamad Sacar sweeps 1st Vientiane Open FIDE Rated Standard Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Unbeaten junior middleweight prospect Anthony “ATV” Velazquez Ready to bust out of New England
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • BOOTS VS. STANIONIS – ‘MAKE THE DAYS COUNT’ PREMIERES NOW
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • “THE FILIPINO FLASH” NONITO DONAIRE TO MAKE FIRST VISIT TO CANASTOTA FOR 2025 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND FESTIVITIES
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Tokyo Olympian Rashida Ellis signs long term management contract with Trifon Petrov
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Fightbook Adds Brendan Gibbons to Lead Athlete & Fan Activation Strategy
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • BOXLAB PROMOTIONS RETURNS TO ORLANDO FOR ACTION-PACKED FIGHT NIGHT ON APRIL 18
    , Tue, 01 Apr 2025
  • Takeaways From Last Weekend's Fights in Japan
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Mon, 31 Mar 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.