Philippines, 19 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


All or nothing for Magsayo


PhilBoxing.com


MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons knows it’s an all-or-nothing deal for WBC No. 2 superfeatherweight Mark Magsayo as he can’t afford to lose his next two fights in lining himself up for a title shot. Last Saturday, Magsayo decked Ecuador trialhorse Bryan Mercado twice in the first round and twice in the second before referee Gerard White stopped the scheduled sixer at Thunder Studios in Long Beach, California.

Gibbons plans another tune-up for Magsayo, possibly on the same card as the Eduardo (Rocky) Hernandez-Rene (El Bravo) Tellez Giron bout in Oaxaca, Mexico, on Feb. 28. If Magsayo and Hernandez win their next outings, they’ll be matched against each other in a title eliminator with the survivor to challenge the WBC 130-pound champion.

“Mark’s been in the gym for six months and I didn’t want him to go without a fight ‘til the end of the year,” said Gibbons, explaining why he set up the Mercado match. “He’s got to be focused on beating Hernandez and at this point of his career, it’s all or nothing. The dream is for Mark to become a two-time WBC champion.”

Magsayo, who once wore the WBC featherweight crown, is itching to return to the throne, this time in a higher weight class. “Every single day, it’s all what Mark does is box, box, box 24.7 with coach Marvin (Somodio) and him putting in the time,” said Gibbons. “Even though Mercado wasn’t much of a fight, it definitely put Mark through the motions of making the weight, getting the body ready and now he can take a couple of weeks off for the holidays then get right back at it because he’s gonna be fighting for the world title.”

Magsayo said he took the opportunity to experiment a new point of attack against Mercado. “Masaya ako kasi nabigyan ng opportunity ni Sir Sean pagbutihin ko pa sa sunod na fight na mas malaki,” he said. “Masaya din si coach Marvin kasi na-execute ko ang gameplan at ang prinaktis namin. Gusto ko ma-try ang body shot.” It was Magsayo’s left hook to Mercado’s rib cage that produced four knockdowns.

Hernandez, 27, packs a 36-2 record, with 32 KOs. In October last year, the Mexican battled O’Shaquie Foster for the WBC superfeatherweight belt in Cancun and led on two of the three judges’ scorecards when he was dropped and stopped in the 12th round. Hernandez has since come back to win two in a row. Gibbons said if and when Magsayo turns back Hernandez sometime in May, he’ll be the mandatory challenger for Foster who still reigns as WBC strap-holder.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Reina Tellez Returns to the Ring Following World Title Challenge Against Amanda Serrano
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Mombay, Garras top Helubong 50km Uphill Ultra Challenge
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Arijan Goricki Knocks Out Hassan Ndonga in Nairobi
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • USA Boxing's High Performance Squad Sets Sights on Gold at 2026 Copa America
    , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Team Sugar Rush wins Sir Jessie Villasin Chess Team 2X2 Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Mon, 18 May 2026
  • Paolo Gallito, 6 others in the last 16 in Malaysia
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis Returns Home With Decision Win Over Nahir Albright
    , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Heartbreak in Johannesburg: Jerusalem Dethroned by Kuse in Bloody Rematch
    By Dong Secuya, , Sun, 17 May 2026
  • Roy Jones Jr. Blasts Dana White and Zuffa’s Push to Reshape Boxing During Explosive “Boxing Primetime Show” Interview
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Weigh-In Results: Keyshawn Davis vs. Nahir Albright II
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Jerusalem vs. Kuse II: High-Stakes Rematch in Johannesburg
    By Dong Secuya, , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • Hometown Hero Edward Vazquez Returns to ProBoxTV on Friday, June 5, to Face Mexico’s Daniel Lugo in the 10-round Main Event of ‘The Contender Series’ at University of Texas in Arlington
    , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • AQ Prime to host 2 big tournaments
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 16 May 2026
  • June 6 announcement: Padley-Fiaz to Main Event in Sheffield after Galal Yafai setback
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Press Conference Notes: Keyshawn Davis Ready to Settle Unfinished Business in Saturday’s Hometown Rematch against Nahir Albright LIVE on DAZN
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Eros Correa vs. Anthony Garnica, Set to Clash for WBC Continental Americas Title.
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Eman-Perez rematch now title-match
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Montreal Experience greatly benefited Undefeated Kansas boxing prospect Marco Romero for this Saturday’s fight
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • ”MERCILESS” RAY MERCER TO ATTEND 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
    , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • IIEE Metro Central dominates the IIEE National Midyear Convention sportsfest
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Ancajas Boxing team to join Koronadal slugfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Jojo Legaspi eyes four squads in JCI Senate Lipa 3X3 Open Rapid Chess Tournament on June 20
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 15 May 2026
  • Paras ready to face Yokoyama on June 6
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 14 May 2026
  • Keyshawn Davis vs. Nahir Albright II Fight Week Events to Stream LIVE on Top Rank’s Social Media Channels
    , Thu, 14 May 2026
  • Champion Outside the Ring: Gustavo Trujillo and Bio Cell Wellness Group Support Children with Autism Through Life-Changing Therapies
    , Thu, 14 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.